Sign in to follow this  
GodAtum

AWS Polly voices don't work

So I've set it all up and the Polly app works fine. But when I set the Polly voices in P2ATC, I hear nothing. But I can hear when its set to the Microsoft voices.

I'm using P2ATC v2.6.2.3 R2

Edited by GodAtum

I would recommend updating to the latest Public Beta version as it has a lot of enhancements around voice volumes.

Then turn up all the volumes on the Voices tab of Config.

Also, click on the COM Stby area and open the Com Panel and turn the volume up all the way there.

Finally, check the Windows Volume Mixer (Speaker Icon on Task Bar) while P2A is running and be sure the volume is all the way up for P2A.

Dave

1 hour ago, GodAtum said:

So I've set it all up and the Polly app works fine. But when I set the Polly voices in P2ATC, I hear nothing. But I can hear when its set to the Microsoft voices.

I'm using P2ATC v2.6.2.3 R2

This is a common problem and restarting P2ATC a few times usually gets it working.

The first thing I do when I load P2ATC is check if the Polly voices work (in Config). If they don't, I keep restarting it till they do. Once they are working, they usually stay working for the entire session. Obviously, the next time you use it, the dance begins again.😆

57 minutes ago, TwoSuitz said:

This is a common problem and restarting P2ATC a few times usually gets it working.

The first thing I do when I load P2ATC is check if the Polly voices work (in Config). If they don't, I keep restarting it till they do. Once they are working, they usually stay working for the entire session. Obviously, the next time you use it, the dance begins again.😆

I've restarted it about 10 times and still no luck.

2 hours ago, GodAtum said:

I would try using the "Polly Player" that comes with software bundle, and see if it works there and is not a problem with your AWS profile or internet connection.

On 1/30/2022 at 2:52 PM, GodAtum said:

It truly is a lottery, so 10 times is a real (though unlikely) possibility. If the voices are listed in P2ATC and you have tested that they work in Polly Player, I would be very surprised if this wasn't the problem as it seems to affect most people.

Unfortunately, it appears to be an issue with the AWS API not playing nicely with Windows, so not something Dave can do anything about.

I ultimately abandoned Polly voices for this reason and bought 13 Ceroproc voices.

They sound so much better and work first time everyime.

49 minutes ago, skypilotYTS said:

I ultimately abandoned Polly voices for this reason and bought 13 Ceroproc voices.

They do sound great, but at £26 each, I will have to put up with the restarting P2ATC for now. 😆

lol, they certainly don't give them away but Cereproc was pretty good to deal with, I was able to get 50% off. If it was something you were ever interested in, just send them an e-mail and work out a price.

Re Cereproc voices. They certainly sound good and I have nearly been tempted by them a couple times. I enquired a while ago and they suggested a deal if I was interested in purchasing a whole bunch. What has held me back though is the possibility that they might conflict with other voices. I remember reading somewhere (on this forum I think) that some users experienced problems when using voices from two different sources. Does anyone have any specific input on that? I have a whole set from VE which are quite good, but I wouldn't want to potentially lose them if I purchased/installed a few from Cereproc.

Edited by ang58
spelling mistake

When I first purchased Cereproc voices I bought 6, at the time I also had Amazon (AWS) Polly voices installed. No issues having both side by side and I had both loaded up within P2ATC.

Then when I bought the next 7 voices I stopped using Polly as I had enough variety in Cereproc but up until then they worked without issue together (outside of having to restart P2ATC a couple times to get Polly voices working but that is a known issue).