Sign in to follow this  
Victoroos

I thought night lighting looked better, Salty 748

Hi all,

So, I'm back into the flying addiction, 73 on the horizon, and now trying the 748 salty.

First of all, word not allowed, for a freeware aircraft, simbiref integration, working NAT track flying, hmmhmm.  I took off from JFK this morning, but I was a little underwhelmed by the night lighting on the ground.

51854036969_e38b894260_b.jpgMicrosoft Flight Simulator - 1.21.18.0 31-1-2022 09_29_11 by Victor Roos, on Flickr

I find it, well, very P3D looking to be honest. I thought the lights go further than this? (also my plane is almost invisible in the darkness?..)

Am I just stupid or?

cheers

Vic

Victor Roos

Just goes to show you cannot please everyone. I feel it's the best it's ever been. And had been changed to reflect this on the reports from the community.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

How far out from JFK were you at this point? 

Once you get out of the city, which doesn't take that long in a jet, there's a lot of countryside. So depending on where you were, I'm not terribly surprised to see big dark patches.

As for the plane being nearly invisible, yeah, that's normal. Objects in the sky are hard to see at night, which is why the FAA makes airplanes run lighting. 😉

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, eslader said:

How far out from JFK were you at this point? 

Once you get out of the city, which doesn't take that long in a jet, there's a lot of countryside. So depending on where you were, I'm not terribly surprised to see big dark patches.

As for the plane being nearly invisible, yeah, that's normal. Objects in the sky are hard to see at night, which is why the FAA makes airplanes run lighting. 😉

really? SO no roadlights etc are normal in the USA? Then it makes sense. Thanks!

Im still very pleased by the sim @Car147 ;). 

Victor Roos

1 hour ago, Victoroos said:

really? SO no roadlights etc are normal in the USA? Then it makes sense. Thanks!

Im still very pleased by the sim @Car147 ;). 

If you pick a night of the month when the moon is out, it will show up the aircraft. 
At new moon, it will be very dark and difficult to pick out the aircraft just as in real life. 
Full moon in the sim changes things drastically.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

12 hours ago, Victoroos said:

SO no roadlights etc are normal in the USA?

In many places, yeah. You only really see noticeable lighting in cities and towns. The vast majority of our interstate highway miles are unlit at night, and really so is most of the area of the country itself. The USA is insanely large, and there's a lot of empty space in it. We have well over a million square miles just in farmland, and most of that doesn't have any lights on it at all. 

19 hours ago, Victoroos said:

I find it, well, very P3D looking to be honest. I thought the lights go further than this? (also my plane is almost invisible in the darkness?..)

Am I just stupid or?

cheers

Vic

Vic, if you want the night lighting to be as drawn as far out as possible, have the 'Terrian level of Detail' set to the max, 400. Not a massive difference perhaps, it's more pronounced from FL30 and above. It does have a performance penalty (when at the ground level especially) so I use this only when flying clear nights in the airliners to take in the views. I run a 1080ti, 8700K.

5 hours ago, eslader said:

In many places, yeah. You only really see noticeable lighting in cities and towns. The vast majority of our interstate highway miles are unlit at night, and really so is most of the area of the country itself. The USA is insanely large, and there's a lot of empty space in it. We have well over a million square miles just in farmland, and most of that doesn't have any lights on it at all. 

That makes sense, nice, very sustainable! I did notice indeed in the EU (where I live) way more lights on the ground

• Like 1

Victor Roos

2 hours ago, Freq_flyer44 said:

Vic, if you want the night lighting to be as drawn as far out as possible, have the 'Terrian level of Detail' set to the max, 400. Not a massive difference perhaps, it's more pronounced from FL30 and above. It does have a performance penalty (when at the ground level especially) so I use this only when flying clear nights in the airliners to take in the views. I run a 1080ti, 8700K.

hmm, I'd love that, not sure my 1070 can handle that on QHD level 😕

Victor Roos