Sign in to follow this  

27 minutes ago, Drumcode said:

@micstatic - Dave, are you satisfied with the 12700's performance in MSFS?

Currently, it's a hundo price difference between the two, hoping next week with the announcement of the 13th gen, these prices will start to fall. I don't necessarily need the 13xxx series chip and am hoping that you're both happy with these two?

To an extent I am.  But if I were to build today I'd be going with one of those AMD's with the very large L3 cache. The 5800X3D.  I think they have an even newer one about to come out.  If your decision is mostly based on MSFS, then that's the direction I'd go.  

image.png.5a5c836d0470144aaa7195d54689e629.png

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

5 minutes ago, micstatic said:

To an extent I am.  But if I were to build today I'd be going with one of those AMD's with the very large L3 cache. The 5800X3D.  I think they have an even newer one about to come out.  If your decision is mostly based on MSFS, then that's the direction I'd go.  

Well, now you totally messed with my head, great! I'm an intel word not allowed! Ugh!

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

35 minutes ago, Drumcode said:

@micstatic - Dave, are you satisfied with the 12700's performance in MSFS?

@richbonneau - how about you with the 12900?

Currently, it's a hundo price difference between the two, hoping next week with the announcement of the 13th gen, these prices will start to fall. I don't necessarily need the 13xxx series chip and am hoping that you're both happy with these two?

Very happy with my 12900 running with a 3080ti.

• Like 1

ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus ▪︎ Intel i9-12900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 4090Ti ▪︎ 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo ▪︎ Windows 11 Home ▪︎ 3x Western Digital Black SN850 2TB NVME SSD ▪︎  ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair HX1000 Platinum PSU ▪︎ Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Case

I'm happy with mine. 12900K and 3090 FTW3.

DDR5 though has caused me a few issues. One dodgy stick of Trident Z5 that's boxed up to be returned... when DPD decide to do what they've been asked to do and actually turn up. Two days I waited in and two days they didn't bother to arrive.

So, not prepared to be without my PC for ages waiting for the replacements to arrive and given DDR5 is now cheaper than it was, I nabbed some Corsair Vengence DDR5 6000 mhz. PC now boots, all is well... but it throws up an error in Cinebench R23 at the XMP setting. 

A new Asus BIOS is here for the Apex, so I'll test it with that.

Edited by martin-w

I have yet to see a real in game benchmark running 1080p minimum above 100fps in MSFS average, and according to the forum some would be happy to maintain 60fps. And the 5800X3D can maintain almost twice that. AMD don`t need the next gen CPU`s. Intel will be finished 😲.    

PS I only use 4K and have done so for over 2years.

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

On 1/31/2022 at 4:23 AM, martin-w said:

Well thus far it seems my 97 degree temps with the 12900k were purely due to the extremes of Cinebench R23. I've read lots of reports of R23 generating crazy temps and not just with the 12900k.

Currently running Aida64 stress test with AVX and temps are in the 60's and low 70's with the D15S. Absolute max peak I saw was 77.

Will run Aida for 30 mins and then try another stress test.

Result:

4.9GHz

Temp: 60's to 70's

Voltage: 1.26

Watts: 177.5

Motherboard Temp: 21c.

Samsung SSD Temp: 39c.

Aida Bench Score: 116990. 7th place, with no overclocking. 

Hi @martin-w

Well I finally finish my system. It took me a while to be able to sit here and type. Ran into some back problems with my old chair so I ordered new one and things are much better now. lol

Since the last time I spoke I had settle on the cabinet and so far it look very nice. However as I would expected most of the installation was somewhat straightforward except for top radiators fans, the top fans, GPU mounts and Sata interface in the front 5 1/4 bay. 

First, in order for me to make room the Sata interface I had to remove to 5 1/4 brackets and use additional hardware to mount it. Reason for doing so, the Sata device is very small in length compared to the dvd drive, which I mounted on the top bay. It allow me room for the radiator fans which I have to shift toward back of cabinet. The DVD drive length was too long, blocked a top 2nd 200mm that I wanted to install. So  instead, I went with the 140 mm. I gave me barely enough room but I manage to get it to fit and all is working just fine.

The graphic card was a surprise, due to fact that nvidia design the mounting for the series 30 RTX, takes three slots and the cabinet could only, by default, accommodate 2 slots cards. There was a metal on the left side of the mounting bracket of the GPU that extends beyond the vertical mount opening of the back cabinet. I had to nuge a opening with a hacksaw so I mount the card and line it up with its rear opening for the hdmi connectors. lol  Forget about the vertical mounting bracket, It is more in the way then aiding in holding the GPU and really didn't need it.  What else could I fine wrong, luckily nothing else. It reminded me as to why I didn't want to buy this cabinet knowing I could run into those issue and be resourceful in solving those problems. However after making the changes, I have to say that the system really looks nice even with all the stupid RGB fans in the front, both drive bay opening are in use, I rather impress with it. I decided to leave it on, since it look rather nice lighting up the room at night. The motherboard does its own light show inside as well with posted CPU voltage and temps, kind of nice touch. 

Ok so on to powering, temp and performances. 

Powering it for the first time,  Ambient temp in the room was 76 degrees  my CPU was 36c, motherboard 37c CPU core voltage 1.181v

GPU temps are at idle at 210 mHz measures 26c with the ambient room temp at 72 degrees, although I do have a window open with outside temperature 60. 

Under load I recorded an image while using X plane 12 with the GPU running at 1875 mhz at 75c, 90% if its target with both fans running at 987 rpm or 37%. for hours and half flight.

This morning I ran my first stress test for 30 mins

Ambient room temp was 70 deg. Before the start of test, CPU 27.8c Motherboard 30c

During the test after 30 mins  With the clock at 4900 mhz

CPU 67c, Motherboard 30c, CPU Fans running at 2149 rpm, Watts running between 179 - 181, with Core voltage at 1.267v after 30 min                                                      

Benchmark CPU Queens 117358, 7 down from top performer 32x Ryzen threadripper 3970x at 275137

Other test were performed with running Battlefield 4 ran as expected without any issue. Ran Cinebench multi core score 26732 pts  It did push temps ad high as 211w with CPU at 70c. Tested VR with the Oculus rift with no problems. 

This is all non overclocked values.

I have not ran any of the AIOC yet. I will plan to do that soon however I'm enjoying the performance I'm getting with just regular day to day use. I won't kid myself since I plan to change out the monitor from 1080p to 1440p. Not interested in 4k at this time. Just don't want to spoil myself when running at 4900 to 5100mhz with good temperature which is way over what I was running OC on my old system at 4.6 to 4.7ghz. So I really can't complain. But I do expect things may be more challenging with the high rez monitor and then I will see how it will perform.

• Like 1

I want to make some reference correction. When I referred to 200mm and 140mm it referred to the cabinet fans.

On 9/24/2022 at 3:33 PM, BobFS88 said:

Well I finally finish my system.

Glad its all gone well Bob. 👍 Its always a relief when you power up for the first time and all is well.

My issues "seem" to be okay now after new DDR5 (old faulty stuff sending back tomorrow) and the latest Asus BIOS for the Z690 Apex. I was still getting occasional freezing when left at idle for a long time. Seems okay now with the newly released BIOS. May have been something to do with C-States or something. May have been entering a power mode at idle that was too low, just my hypothesis. 

Just goes to show how important it is with a new architecture to make sure you update the BIOS. Performance and stability updates come thick and fast with a new architecture.

Other test were performed with running Battlefield 4

Still the best first person shooter EVER! 

I have to say that the system really looks nice even with all the stupid RGB fans in the front

You might be able to turn them off Bob. Is there a separate 4 pin LED wire to a controller or something? Failing that you could swap them out for non RGB fans. I always replace my case fans with Noctua fans. 

My case lights up behind the front aluminum panel and my 3090 does and my RAM does... but I set it to a nice gentle blue glow with the software. 

Edited by martin-w

On 9/23/2022 at 7:01 AM, G-RFRY said:

I have yet to see a real in game benchmark running 1080p minimum above 100fps in MSFS average, and according to the forum some would be happy to maintain 60fps. And the 5800X3D can maintain almost twice that. AMD don`t need the next gen CPU`s. Intel will be finished 😲.    

PS I only use 4K and have done so for over 2years.

While 60 is all I need a 12900 (and any other chip) can be brought to its knees in MSFS.  Or even P3D.  Or whatever.  I do 4k also.  But there are times when I wish I had a better CPU.  The chase is endless.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

20 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Just goes to show how important it is with a new architecture to make sure you update the BIOS. Performance and stability updates come thick and fast with a new architecture.

Absolutely especially with the 4 stick memory module support with the Gen 5 series improvements. Understood at the time of purchasing the memory that get 4 sticks to work was a bit of of a challenges since the technology was too new.

17 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Still the best first person shooter EVER! 

It is one of my favourite which is why I keep it. I also like Sim city 4 and Generals Zero hours. Simcity 4 had some of the best music that went along with the sim and Generals I miss the fun playing online, to get participate to not rush for 15 min to give us a chance to build up our defensive. When they cheat, I would pull the network plug the end game they would get mad because they're are so impatient and want to get fast cheap win and I won't let them. lol

I use make them battle it out. Some of them like to go for the  nuke button asap and some like me wanted play combat strategy and it was much more fun and others agreed.    

26 minutes ago, martin-w said:

You might be able to turn them off Bob. Is there a separate 4 pin LED wire to a controller or something? Failing that you could swap them out for non RGB fans. I always replace my case fans with Noctua fans. 

There is actual a switch on the case so if I want to turn them off, all I have to do is hit the button. But I ok with them being on and my wife kind of like it. lol

I actually have one Noctua fan as the one of the top which was the 140mm that was compromise solution to the adding that 2nd fan for the heat exhaust. Maybe during my maintenance may period consider it, they are good fans. 

18 hours ago, BobFS88 said:

Absolutely especially with the 4 stick memory module support with the Gen 5 series improvements. Understood at the time of purchasing the memory that get 4 sticks to work was a bit of of a challenges since the technology was too new.

Only two memory slots on the Apex, still been a challenge though.

18 hours ago, BobFS88 said:

But I ok with them being on and my wife kind of like it. lol

My daughter wanted me to keep the rainbow effect, and she's 29! 😄 Girls like pretty colours.

• Like 1