Sign in to follow this  
petepawn

Help needed - again MSFS wants to re-install the whole sim

Hi, I wrote here on Sundaycomplaining that all of sudden on Friday my sim decided to require a re-install ( after having played ok since August 2020). I had all updates loaded ( version was 1.21.8....).

So, I used the Sunday for installing the whole thing and WU's and made a nice flight with DA-62. Today I started the program well informed that a new WU is to be installed and made an update in MS Store.

Then when launching MSFS what the XXXX! Mandatory update 107,6GIB..

What is wrong now?

Petteri

Petteri Pulkkinen

EFNU, Finland

Are you making 100% sure that when you click the button to install these updates, the directory path is displayed correctly to where your simulator is installed? It is displayed right alongside the Update Button. If that path is not correct this may happen.

It is possible given your other recent issue that you might now have two instances of the sim on your PC, or at least in the Windows Registry.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

The download directory you can chose before the big download should be the one containing the Community and Official folder. If the Official folder is empty, something bad happened. 🙂 It should contain all the gigabytes of content you downloaded with past updates.

My advice: keep Community AND Official folder in a custom folder like C:\Flightsimulator or similar. Make a backup on a second drive.

• Like 2

Were you part of the BETA?

Lots of users of the BETA had to reinstall. There was warnings about this in the BETA notes.

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

You always want to make sure that you have an offline Official folder laying around.  Even an old one would be good.

ns

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

I had the same basic problem..... first time it wanted to reinstall....so I closed the sim and restarted it and the second time it took me to the download..... just more weird word not allowed from the devs'

Jay

I’m doing a fresh install on a new PC right now. 113 GB through MS store. 50 GB in now at about an hour. Hope it works! Lol 

Hello all,

Another MSFS Update saga for me, I am afraid. Below is the sorry tale.

I actually had a trouble free update followed by the eagerly anticipated Australian update. Everything went very well and fairly speedily.

As usual, I renamed the Community folder and created a new, empty one on Drive E which is the normal installation drive for me before the update. After the update, I checked the Settings ... all looks ok to me. Then Profile/content manager ... Aussie update there and up to date. Bewdy.

I exited and then rebooted the computer (again this is normal for any new or update I undergo.

After the reboot, I clicked on MSFS and all loaded normally. I selected the TBM and YBCS and Fly Now. After about 3 minutes it locked up before getting to the second Fly page. This was using an empty Community folder.   I then repeated this procedure four times using different aircraft and different airports, and achieving exactly the same lock up. I thought that the problem could possibly be the Official folder (after checking that the community folder was still empty) so I renamed the Official folder to .new and renamed my back up Official.bak folder to Official. 

The next four attempts did the same thing ie lock up.

Coming to the conclusion that an uninstall and reinstall was inevitable at this stage, I went to the start bar/MSFS Flight Simulator/uninstall. Sadly the only indication I get that this procedure is actually happening is that I lose the MSFS icon. After about ten minutes, I rebooted the computer and repeated the start bar bit. Lo and behold MSFS Flight Simulator is still there. I then went into Drive C/user name/AppData/local/Packages/Microsoft simulator ...many numbers and figures. I then deleted the seven shortcut folders and the SystemAppData folder.

Back into start bar and Flight simulator is still there and uninstall is no longer working (not surprising I guess) after that I rebooted again entered the MS store and reinstalled MSFS using the xbox app. Another long wait for the update download and WU7 and now I still have the same problem. The sim just will not progress to the second "fly"

Other than going to the kitchen and selecting a nice sharp knife, I have no idea what is actually preventing the full load.  This has been a full time job since the live update and is by far the worst result for an update for me.  Uninstalls and reinstalls are now routine procedure for me since SU3. Unfortunately, This has taken the most work to achieve nothing and I am still unable to fly.

Is there anyone who could come up with a suggestion which may help. I am even prepared to do a third uninstall and reinstall to get some where.  Is the an infallible way to do an uninstall other than to throw the computer into the ocean tied to a bloody large anchor.  Ooops, I can't do that >>> XPlane 11 still works. LOL

Cheers guys

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

2 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

Uninstalls and reinstalls are now routine procedure for me since SU3

Good Lord is all I can say--what the heck is wrong?  I don't have any of this nonsense but I always use default install locations and avoid the fight.

• Like 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Noel,

"What the heck is wrong"  .... that was my question LOL 

I have always used Drive D (512GB) for P3D, Drive E (1TB) for MSFS, Drive F (1TB) for XPlane, Drive G (512GB) for DCS and Aerofly.

Once installed and sorted I have no problem. Prior to SU3 I was constantly amazed at the number of people who had problems installing MSFS and the myriad problems subsequent to installation.  I could not understand it .... I had no problems at all. A very different story for me, post SU3 and I was amazed at the number of people who were not experiencing problems .... strange world innit?

All that information, however, is not going to help me with this current problem. I have spent hours just trying to figure out even a vague area which I could explore and tinker with. Logic tells me, that regardless of where this thing is installed a new install should solve the problem.  This time is different and produces the same problem.  I have even thought it may be a windows problem, but, with no windows update in this equation, and going from a full and working MSFS one evening (ie a good and successful flight) to a lock up after the update, would seem to rule that out. I am lost and baffled.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

3 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

Tony

I know this should not have a darn thing to do with the sim...but are you running the latest video drivers?

Jay

11 hours ago, 177B said:

Were you part of the BETA?

Lots of users of the BETA had to reinstall. There was warnings about this in the BETA notes.

There is no need to re-install. When MSFS offers to re-install it does this to the default installation path (C: drive).
Just point it to your current installation path and there will be no re-install.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

1 minute ago, Lange_666 said:

There is no need to re-install. When MSFS offers to re-install it does this to the default installation path (C: drive).
Just point it to your current installation path and there will be no re-install.

Yep..I panicked at first but switched to correct path and no re-install.  🙂