Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Overexposed skies when looking down in cockpit

Oliver is correct above.  This effect is ridiculous; flying in reality is NOT like this.  This is a camera effect; like sun glarec etc. It's simulating the behavior of a camera, not the human eye.  A human eye has a much greater dynamic range.  I'd like to see this effect go away, or at least be made optional, the same as all the other silly camera effects.  I mean, are we simulating being in an airplane, or watching a movie from a camera in the airplane? 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Andrew Crowley

4 hours ago, Stearmandriver said:

Oliver is correct above.  This effect is ridiculous; flying in reality is NOT like this.  This is a camera effect; like sun glarec etc. It's simulating the behavior of a camera, not the human eye.  A human eye has a much greater dynamic range.  I'd like to see this effect go away, or at least be made optional, the same as all the other silly camera effects.  I mean, are we simulating being in an airplane, or watching a movie from a camera in the airplane? 

Another vote here to remove the ludicrous over-exposure. You simply cannot even try to "emulate" the dilation of the human eye in this way. You should not need panel lighting or Gforce filtering, or reshade in order to correct the bleached out sky and dark cockpits. Like so many "effects" in FS2020 Asobo keeps over-doing things, as though to say "look what we did, we wowed you with our understanding of natural effects!" As with flight modelling extremes, wind extremes, gust extremes, turbulence and a whole lot of other effects, someone at the office thinks it's clever to bludgeon the user with these things. The word "subtle" doesn't seem to be in their vocabulary.

When you see a white-out or dark panel on a youtube video of an aircraft, it is the CAMERA that cannot deal with the dynamic range of the human eye. But we are meant to be watching a simulation of a human flying, not a camera flying. The "cameras" are not meant actually to be cameras at all. They are misnamed and should be called simply "Views". You base a simulation not on what a camera sees but what an eye sees. Rant over!

• Like 11
  • Upvote 2

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Well more on what the brain sees I guess.
For most people with healthy eyes day time light light adaption is usually a quick and completely unconscious process.

Edited by gboz

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

This effect is noticeable if you fly with TrackIR. Look at your gauges and the outside turns to a whiteout.

8ead4e967903338bc74a2ddca02e9d8c7b77cfa1

f039d9ecec0a26e89dbab47baab683ad483ec91d

• Like 4

James

Phantom, exactly the problem that I'm talking about. Your 2nd pic shows it well. How the outside world is so overexposed and washed out that you can't even hardly see any details. This is what I hope that they would fix.

I fly without TrackIR and this problem exists as well.

Edited by captain420
  • Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Hope they fix this problem, very annoying!!!! this problem has to be taken care of.

• Like 1

10700kf, 3080 nividia, 32gbs 3400mhz, 1,000 watts power, M.2 DVMe !tb, boot, 1tb 7200rpm, storage, windows 10 home

On 2/13/2022 at 1:17 AM, robert young said:

Another vote here to remove the ludicrous over-exposure. You simply cannot even try to "emulate" the dilation of the human eye in this way. You should not need panel lighting or Gforce filtering, or reshade in order to correct the bleached out sky and dark cockpits. Like so many "effects" in FS2020 Asobo keeps over-doing things, as though to say "look what we did, we wowed you with our understanding of natural effects!" As with flight modelling extremes, wind extremes, gust extremes, turbulence and a whole lot of other effects, someone at the office thinks it's clever to bludgeon the user with these things. The word "subtle" doesn't seem to be in their vocabulary.

When you see a white-out or dark panel on a youtube video of an aircraft, it is the CAMERA that cannot deal with the dynamic range of the human eye. But we are meant to be watching a simulation of a human flying, not a camera flying. The "cameras" are not meant actually to be cameras at all. They are misnamed and should be called simply "Views". You base a simulation not on what a camera sees but what an eye sees. Rant over!

Completely agree, by trying to be clever with this effect they went overboard and as you say emulates a camera closer that it does the human eye.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2022 at 1:17 AM, robert young said:

They are misnamed and should be called simply "Views". You base a simulation not on what a camera sees but what an eye sees. 

Bang 'on the money' Robert. My thoughts exactly.

• Like 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

If I were a Mod I would block and disaprove 90% of the replies here for being "not what the OP is talking about"

its sad to see page after page of people moaning of different things. If you dont read the topic well and dont know the answer "do not reply"

consider these topics are searched in google months years after for people with the same question. 

They/we dont need to listen how YOU think it should be. Just answer the topic if you know something or just read.

Only Phantom and Captain420 are on topic

They are not talking about EXTERIOR or INTERIOR view or if cockpit is too dark...

specifically, they mention a symptom that exterior view CHNGES brightness when looking down, or up, sides... everytime you use pan button in mouse or joystick to move your eyesight, exterior view gets washed. When you reset view to forward all is back to normal

THAT gentlemen is what the OP meant and asked. 

I know there is a solution twitching some file inside the Official Msfs but lost track of it. Was hoping to find it here. Hopeless

Edited by kapitan
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, kapitan said:

If I were a Mod I would block and disaprove 90% of the replies here for being "not what the OP is talking about"

Kapitan, read the OP again. He says "I have my default cockpit camera set perfectly to look at both my instruments and the outside. I want to be able to have both properly exposed." Nowhere does the OP say his problem is washed out brightness only when panning. In fact, the thread title specifically describes the OP's problem: Extreme exposure when the outside of the cockpit is less than half the screen.

No offense, but it's a bit ironic you attacked all of us for missing the OP's point, when that's entirely what you just did. As an aside, there is currently no fix for the OP's problem.

Edited by WestAir
  • Upvote 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Relax guys. But let's get back on the original topic here. 

The problem like I mentioned before is that this effect is overdone, and it's definitely emulating the view through a camera lens and not the human eye. Like others have mentioned above. The human eye is capable of seeing a greater dynamic range vs a camera lens. I still hope Asobo will do something about this or at least give us an option or slider to dial in to our hearts content.

I never had this issue in other flight sims such as DCS World, P3D, FSX, etc. We shouldn't have to choose whether we want the bottom half panel of our cockpit properly exposed or the outside view. Both should be properly exposed.

Here's an example of what I'm referring to. You can't have both exposed simulataneously, that's my personal gripe. If you look up with the main focus being on the windows then the sky and outside view is properly exposed while the the cockpit panel becomes dark and underexposed.

dark.png

And if you pan down to look at the cockpit panel and guages the outside view becomes overly washed out and overexposed.

light.png

Edited by captain420
  • Like 4

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Hopefully someday it gets fixed.

10700kf, 3080 nividia, 32gbs 3400mhz, 1,000 watts power, M.2 DVMe !tb, boot, 1tb 7200rpm, storage, windows 10 home

3 hours ago, kapitan said:

I know there is a solution

No, there isn't.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

16 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

No, there isn't.

I wish there was tho, I find it really annoying. 

• Like 1

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs