Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Overexposed skies when looking down in cockpit

Ridiculous "feature". It's the most important bug to fix but they spend their time and resources with a silly maverick add-on.

• Like 2

Sergio Naiberg

People need their monitors calibrated. This never bothered me, I can perfectly see outside and the cockpit just fine.

Of course flying into the sun it would be helpful to add a toggle for sunglasses.

Edited by Moana Lisa

For the sake of curiosity, do people who have HDR screens and fly with the Windows HDR function enabled have this problem, or is it limited to standard dynamic range screens only? In photography, you can produce an image that encompasses a tone value range greater than that available to a display device (or photographic paper, for that matter), by correctly mapping the original image tones to the available range. Here's an example from my Flickr account

49217353676_e594a6e7dc_b.jpg

If memory serves correctly this is a merger of three photos, one that was "correctly" exposed and one each that were under- and overexposed. Photoshop is able to assess the tone range of these three images, each of which is represented by eight bit colors, onto a 16 bit tone range, and then that is remapped onto the eight bit space of an ordinary monitor. The correctly displayed image had blown out overexposed skies and underexposed regions in the trees that were rendered as pure black. This HDR image has no overexposed skies and only a few shadow areas that are rendered as pure black.

It seems that Asobo needs to reevaluate its approach to image rendition so as to remap extensive tone ranges to something more appropriate to the screens on which real users view the sim. BTW, I have seen similar issues arising, for example, in XP11, but I recall that it was a case of the outside would being rendered well and portions of the cockpit appearing almost pure black with no definition. Where MSFS seems to trip up is that the outside world can't be "managed" into a narrow tonal range, because they're using real images, not carefully generated land class textures. I wouldn't be surprised if those "dirty" clouds that we sometimes see are an inadvertent result of tonal compression in which the clouds are dimmed so that the brightest parts of the sky don't get blown out.

This topic has been widely discussed both on AVSIM and elsewhere. This is where reShade and other software solutions came into use in previous sims. nVIDIA GeForce seems more popular nowadays, but in both cases an attempt is made to remap the sim's image tonal ranges into something that is more esthetically appealing. Sometimes this works, but other times not so much. The problem is that the way things now work, information is lost during the rendering step, information that can't be restored except in the sense that the eye can be fooled.

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

I have an HDR enabled monitor and have HDR enabled in Windows 10. I also have HDMI set to full in NVIDIA Control Panel. 

The effect is horribly overdone. Outside of the cockpit my scenery and aircraft colors are rich and vibrant. Move inside the cockpit and tilt down a fraction to look at the panel, the panel lightens and the outside turns into a white out. Its like I'm in an arctic storm.

There just needs to be an option to adjust this level of auto exposure like there was in P3D.

• Like 6

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

As this has been resurrected, just reminding people that a lot of us really like the effect and want it maintained.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

This also has something to do with altitude I believe. I never noticed it before I got the Hjet a few weeks ago. Looking out the cockpit at FL250 is unbearable. My eyes are roasting. I do everything I can to minimize the affect, move my view up and look down slightly, but as Robert Young says, that shouldn’t be necessary. I also lower the brightness and contrast of my monitor. So I’m hopeful this gets addressed. I can’t imagine how anyone thinks this is a good thing. It’s just a bright white out with an almost total loss of detail. 

• Like 2

This effect is as ridiculous now as it was the last time we talked about it ;).

Doesn't bother me at all if some people want to use it... but since there's an option to supposedly disable it, they need to make that option WORK. 

• Like 6

Andrew Crowley

8 hours ago, KL Oo said:

I have an HDR enabled monitor and have HDR enabled in Windows 10. I also have HDMI set to full in NVIDIA Control Panel. 

The effect is horribly overdone. Outside of the cockpit my scenery and aircraft colors are rich and vibrant. Move inside the cockpit and tilt down a fraction to look at the panel, the panel lightens and the outside turns into a white out. Its like I'm in an arctic storm.

There just needs to be an option to adjust this level of auto exposure like there was in P3D.

Same here with a LG OLED and HDR. 
Agree that it’s overdone and should be adjustable. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KL Oo said:

Same here with a LG OLED and HDR. 
Agree that it’s overdone and should be adjustable. 

• Like 1

This issue is not related to monitor callibration nor altitude

In VR I have to lean over with my chin resting on the dashboard to get closer to the outside view straight ahead of me. Whether it be on the ground or in the sky, it is the same thing. The more the viewpoint moves straight ahead, the more detail, definition, contrast you will see outside. It is particularly apparent when airborne due to the fact that the outside world is already brighter than on the ground.

I would welcome a simple button to turn this effect OFF/ON

Edited by avhpilot
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

Sometimes with TrackIr I can't even see the runway when landing....Just a big white band....

• Like 1

Steve Giblin

The same awful effect is used in the Forza racing games. People have been complaining about it for years to no effect.

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

18 minutes ago, JSmith2112 said:

The same awful effect is used in the Forza racing games. People have been complaining about it for years to no effect.

The graphics engine in MSFS is based on the Forza engine, if I remember correctly.

I suppose whoever designed this effect either doesn't use the sim at all outside of work hours or they fly exclusively in external view.

• Like 2

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

Interestingly, last night, I changed the eyeadaptation from 1 to 0 and it fixed it for me.  Did it both non-VR and VR sections.  It still does it a tiny bit but not even close to before.  Maybe they fixed the switch....

Edited by StewCal

Steve Giblin