Sign in to follow this  
gregmorin

Sticking with P3DV5 even with the developers leaving

ATC!!!!!

I forgot ATC!!!!

Theres any program like ProATC-X or even Radar Contact for MSFS?

Edited by Juliet Alpha

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

33 minutes ago, neilhewitt said:

The fact that when asked about historical weather in a Q&A the response from the product owner at MS was 'why would you want that?' tells me that we are simply not the audience the sim was designed for.

This is a BIG, BIG NO for me. 

I only fly with Historic Weather.

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

6 minutes ago, Juliet Alpha said:

ATC!!!!!

I forgot ATC!!!!

Theres any program like ProATC-X or even Radar Contact for MSFS?

Currently, Pilot2ATC and PF3 work with MSFS, but with the weather limitation I mentioned. 

• Like 2

Temporary sim: 9700K @ 5GHz, 2TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3080Ti, MSFS + SPAD.NeXT

9 hours ago, neilhewitt said:

Currently, Pilot2ATC and PF3 work with MSFS, but with the weather limitation I mentioned. 

I also believe that implementing Metar based wxr which was not done all that well V1 is a pre-cursor to historical weather,  I thought they had said something about it in the latest Q&A but they have SDK and 3rd party updates in every major update planned for this year and I think they actually held a SDK Q&A livestream with the Dev team today... 

They are trying to listen it is very apparent.   Also, now that @Dominique_K explained historic weather to me I totally get why some require it but as a "hardcore" simmer (Dedicated HW Cockpit here after all) I only ever used ActiveSky with Real Time Live Weather for all my years of simming even on long hauls.  It never bothered me that the live weather didn't always match the time of day I preferred live weather.  The fact that they asked for clarification about why people would want that feature opposed to real time live weather does not doom them to be a "game."   

Most real world training sims use weather presets and training "situations" anyway so no not having historical weather does not disqualify it as a sim.  

As with @neilhewitt however, without full HW support (look the whole sim needs to be an open API essentially) I can 115% understand why some just can't move or won't move...  Makes total practical sense.   

• Like 2

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

14 hours ago, psolk said:

I think they actually held a SDK Q&A livestream with the Dev team today

They did, and were asked about opening up the weather system to 3rd parties and they said no, they weren't planning on it. What they are planning to do is create a Weather API in simconnect that will allow aircraft makers to pull weather info that they need for gauges etc. Whether this would be enough to let ATC add-ons get enough weather details to function correctly we don't yet know. But they said this would not be available for some time and they haven't started work on it yet.

The Q&A was notable for them saying 'not yet', 'no plans to do this', 'maybe 2023' to almost everything. 

• Like 1

Temporary sim: 9700K @ 5GHz, 2TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3080Ti, MSFS + SPAD.NeXT

5 minutes ago, neilhewitt said:

They did, and were asked about opening up the weather system to 3rd parties and they said no, they weren't planning on it. What they are planning to do is create a Weather API in simconnect that will allow aircraft makers to pull weather info that they need for gauges etc. Whether this would be enough to let ATC add-ons get enough weather details to function correctly we don't yet know. But they said this would not be available for some time and they haven't started work on it yet.

The Q&A was notable for them saying 'not yet', 'no plans to do this', 'maybe 2023' to almost everything. 

All the more reason to keep doing long hauls in P3D with my 777 and 787 then 🙂  

At least they are being transparent and open which is far more than we have ever had in the past.  So shortcomings indeed but also credit where credit is due in terms of listening, communication and transparency. 

Yes, I also read they feel the community has been harsh regarding their default weather depiction and I agree.  "when it works" it is by far the most acurate wxr depiction I have ever seen in a sim with even patches of ground to cloud precip you actually see miles in the distance and can avoid...  Even with ASP3D and it's "open" weather there are still sudden transitions, clouds building in grids and filling themselves in,  poor low visibility depiction and this is all in a weather system that's been around and open for years....   

Not to mention I STILL have AI using opposing runways and not following weather in P3D but just accepted it as a shortcoming years ago... 

So yes, if they can do it in house and make the VAR's accessible then great for them and one less add-on I need to run.  

• Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

feel a bit insecure now with P3d , been with it since i was a boy ( 20 years +)  , just feel the tide is turning against it now , I really hope I am wrong  but if its its the sign off the times so be it ! what can we do ?

Edited by sonny147
adjusted

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer 280 AIO Cooler . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

just saying 

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer 280 AIO Cooler . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

Enjoy what you have and don't worry if the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. It's still currently winter.
The landslide of P3D is not that fast as you may believe.

• Upvote 1

What's your concern?  And how have you been with P3D for 20+years LOL?  

It's not like P3D is being shut off in any way.  So unless there is something for P3D that you don't already have that you have been waiting to be developed there is no reason what-so-ever to worry just use what you've got... 

And Oy, another one of these threads?   

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

20 years of p3d is the least of your worries. 🙂

Edited by hs118

Mods @Ray Proudfoot can you merge this thread with the PMDG or other with the same argument. 
We don’t need another thread like this. 
Thanks. 

7 minutes ago, Samaritano said:

Mods @Ray Proudfoot can you merge this thread with the PMDG or other with the same argument. 

Thanks. 

Done.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, sonny147 said:

what can we do ?

As we would say in these Isles... “keep buggering on!”. 😉

LM aren’t pulling the plug anytime soon. They continue to improve performance with updates. I would expect by the time we get to 5.4 or at the latest, 5.5, v6 won’t be too far away.

What that brings no one knows. Just be patient and enjoy v5.

Compared to the years after Microsoft announced the end of flight sim development and the arrival of P3D v1 we’ve never had it so good.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather