Sign in to follow this  
G-YMML1

CTD while panning the cockpit via joystick.

Hello,

I have vanilla MSFS installed, no other add-ones at all, and I'm occasionally flying VFR routes on Daher or Cessnas. FPS looks good, however, in 60% of cases, when I'm trying to use MS Sidewinder as a panning device, I get a CTD with no faulty module string in the Event Viewer. I have googled the case and found out that other simmers are experiencing this issue also. One of the recommended cures was to disable hardware acceleration in Windows settings, and I did as it was suggested, but to no avail - CTDs are being continued. 

Would appreciate your recommendations on how to overcome the issue.

TIA,

Dmitriy.

I can't help other than to add I have been dealing with the exact same issue.  I start panning and my sim crashes almost immediately.  I've reinstalled multiple times.  I made a thread about it and even thought I had fixed them, but now they are back.  Going into external view and using the hat on my Thrustmaster T1600 causes a crash almost instantly.  I've reinstalled my sim multiple times and reinstalled drivers and still nothing.  I play multiple other PC games and not so much as a hiccup.  If I am having a hardware issue, it seems specific to this game only. 

I'm basically holding out hope the next patch fixes it.  There seems to be a lot of people in the same boat, but not everyone is having problems (that seems typical for MSFS 2020). 

FWIW, the CTD issue seems to be getting a lot of upvotes on their feedback snapshot.  I'm guessing it is something in the game that they need to fix. 

Edited by kerosene31
  • Like 1

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

I'm also having this issue (CTD when panning in external view) with my old Logitech stick. I'm also finding that a lot of older Flightsim.to sceneries that use to work fine are all of a sudden causing major stutters and freezes.

So just a question to those with a similar problem: are you using a Nvidia graphics card, and if so, what driver are you using?

I'm using a 2070 Super, and I didn't start noticing this problem until a few weeks ago when I updated to the Nvidia 533.11 driver. I've just tried updating to the newest 511.65 driver, but the problems are still there.

I was thinking of rolling back to my previous 471.41 driver, but I wanted to ask other people's opinions first, since rolling back is a bit of a pain. . 

Thanks - Bob

7 hours ago, kerosene31 said:

I can't help other than to add I have been dealing with the exact same issue.  I start panning and my sim crashes almost immediately.  I've reinstalled multiple times.  I made a thread about it and even thought I had fixed them, but now they are back.  Going into external view and using the hat on my Thrustmaster T1600 causes a crash almost instantly.  I've reinstalled my sim multiple times and reinstalled drivers and still nothing.  I play multiple other PC games and not so much as a hiccup.  If I am having a hardware issue, it seems specific to this game only. 

I'm basically holding out hope the next patch fixes it.  There seems to be a lot of people in the same boat, but not everyone is having problems (that seems typical for MSFS 2020). 

FWIW, the CTD issue seems to be getting a lot of upvotes on their feedback snapshot.  I'm guessing it is something in the game that they need to fix. 

I have the Thrustmaster 16000M and I can pan around in the external view with the hatstick without CTDs. I don’t even know if I have ever CTDed in the last 6 months while panning around with my hatstick, at least I don’t recall CTDing while panning around with the hatstick.

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

6 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

I have the Thrustmaster 16000M and I can pan around in the external view with the hatstick without CTDs. I don’t even know if I have ever CTDed in the last 6 months while panning around with my hatstick, at least I don’t recall CTDing while panning around with the hatstick.

Which GPU/driver are you using?

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

9 minutes ago, JDWalley said:

Which GPU/driver are you using?

My system specs are in my signature. For driver, I am using an Nvidia driver from the fall of 2020, I think. Maybe an Nvidia driver from October or November of 2020.  I’m not at my PC now so I don’t know the exact driver I am using.

• Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

54 minutes ago, BBCM said:

I'm also having this issue (CTD when panning in external view) with my old Logitech stick. I'm also finding that a lot of older Flightsim.to sceneries that use to work fine are all of a sudden causing major stutters and freezes.

So just a question to those with a similar problem: are you using a Nvidia graphics card, and if so, what driver are you using?

I'm using a 2070 Super, and I didn't start noticing this problem until a few weeks ago when I updated to the Nvidia 533.11 driver. I've just tried updating to the newest 511.65 driver, but the problems are still there.

I was thinking of rolling back to my previous 471.41 driver, but I wanted to ask other people's opinions first, since rolling back is a bit of a pain. . 

Thanks - Bob

471.11 is here. P3D is my primary sim yet and I have no intention to switch.

17 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

My system specs are in my signature. For driver, I am using an Nvidia driver from the fall of 2020, I think. Maybe an Nvidia driver from October or November of 2020.  I’m not at my PC now so I don’t know the exact driver I am using.

I'm thinking a newer nvidia driver might be it.  Pretty sure it started happening when I updated the driver.  I'm pretty sure it is not the joystick, just something about quickly panning views that causes it.  It is hard to tell with intermittent stuff though.  I know my crashes were before the last world update, so it isn't specifically related to that. 

My sim was stable on my new PC for awhile.  The driver update is really the only change I can think of. 

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

So I rolled back from the Nvidia 511.65 driver to my old 471.41 driver, and that seems to have fixed the problem. However, I haven't done any long flights yet, only 10 minutes here and 15 minutes there. But no CTD's when panning. Also some apps, like Bijan's Terrain mask from his 4 Seasons pack, don't seem to cause any CTD's anymore like they did with the 511 drivers.

Downside is that the sim definitely looked better with the new 511 drivers, although not a night and day difference: the 511 drivers seemed to provide more edge enhancement and contrast, and as a result urban landscapes in particular looked sharper. Maybe that's why my 2070 Super had troubles with panning with all that extra detail.

Anyway, I'll try some longer flights and see what happens. And I might try moving up to a bit newer driver than the 471.41; it's from last summer after all.

Just fyi - Bob

PS: I didn't use the DDU driver removal tool. I just used the Windows uninstall program app, but everything seemed to work ok.

• Like 1

Has everyone removed all assignments from their POV hat and redid them yourselves by assigning commands that do the same thing, as you would have to do if the hat you wanted to pan with was not the POV hat?

That would be the first thing I would try. In fact I automatically did that with CH sticks and now Thrustmaster sticks in FS2000, FS2002, FS9, FSX. Its the first thing I always do where possible after installing a new sim, on day one.

In other words the idea is to indeed pan views with the POV hat, but all of those panning commands being those which you have programmed onto that hat yourself, instead of letting MSFS create those assignments.

Anyway, I don't have these issues in MSFS on my Warthog. The outside views pan flawlessly using either the cockpit and drone (showcase) cameras. All done with the same hat of course.

Edited by Fielder
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.