Sign in to follow this  
avi8tir

Opinion: Is MSFS up to par yet?

Not a P3D vs MSFS thread.... Just want opinions.

Like many, I jumped on MSFS right away but it was lacking in many areas for what I use a sim for. I generally do short haul, med haul commercial flying primarily with PMDG aircraft and the QW 787. The available aircraft just were not/are not up to snuff for this in MSFS, in my opinion. Unfortunately for me, the graphics come in below the need for study level aircraft, but I do have most of the orbx products, about 50 airports etc to enhance where the default P3D scenery lacks.  As well, the complicated nature of just customizing views in MSFS like you can do with chase plane frustrated me. Small things like this turned me away.

With the PMDG 737 on the horizon for MSFS, this could get me to try it out again. I didn't even reinstall MSFS when I did a clean windows install last month. 

What is your 2022 opinion on MSFS as an avid P3D user?

No.

• Like 1

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

Real-time VFR in a Cessna just to enjoy the eye-candy? Yes. 

Anything else? No. 

Even with the PMDG NG3, there are still glaring issues with the sim. Most notably, weather (most notably lack of historical weather...not to beat a dead horse). 

Edited by DChockey08
reasons
  • Like 4

With the release of add-on aircraft such as the PMDG B737 etc it will make a big leap forward. The DC6 is excellent, the RJ good as well, even the CJ4 has made great strides forward. With the more complicated aircraft just around the corner and getting the RW weather more accurate (not too bad now) it will be very good.

• Like 1

I don´t think it is at least for me it isn´t.

For me MSFS misses:

• Airliners (Passengers and Freighters) with more system depth (PMDG, FSLabs or even QW)
  • good (enough) Groundhandling like GSX for better immersion
  • Groundhandling with good plane integration as well (Aka FSLabs)
  • Historical weather
  • ability to save flights incl. all plane panels settings, to be able to resume the flight where and how you left it
  • good AI handling (has AI but with a lot of issues wich brake immersion
  • Plattform Stability (P3D is CTD free for almost a year now at my end)

These things my come or may not come. And if they come, the question is when and how good implemented.

So for me it will be P3D as long as my "requirements" are not met.

Regards

Marcus

Edited by mpo910
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

If you look back at the history of P3D Development, you would realize that LM had spent 5 years (2010-2015) to develop the sim to the "flyable" conditions and then it took another 2 years to develop 64-bit structure.

With that being said, I would start worrying regarding switching to the new sim sometimes in 2024-25 

Also, potential release of V6 is a cat in the bag. 

MSFS is looking very tempting. Scenery is up to 2020's standards , P3d is basically 2005 FSX improved and enhanced. But now it  seems to be finally stable enough.

Lets hope you don't need a $4000 + GPU to barely get 30FPS on the new NG2  

MSFS still lacks:

Realistic ground handling

Real time AI and AI that behave correctly

Proper ATC

SIMCONNECT functions to directly interface all LVARs and EVENTS types

MULTI monitors support and screen pop out settings

Flyby and Tower views

Edited by nas123
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, G-YMML1 said:

Also, potential release of V6 is a cat in the bag. 

It's two things. 

- Future development of MSFS. Do they allow for historical weather and other simulator must-features? I'll stay on P3D as long as MSFS is unusable as a simulator, regardless of v6.

- What does v6 bring? Does it bring with it improvements that bring the lighting up to par with MSFS? Do they finally fix the weather depiction issues with the volumetric clouds? Do they finally update/improve the autogen depiction? If all those happen, I don't think I can see myself moving away from P3D any time soon, regardless of what MSFS does. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DChockey08 said:

- What does v6 bring? Does it bring with it improvements that bring the lighting up to par with MSFS? Do they finally fix the weather depiction issues with the volumetric clouds? Do they finally update/improve the autogen depiction? If all those happen, I don't think I can see myself moving away from P3D any time soon, regardless of what MSFS does. 

Yep, vital points. Both Lighting and Vclouds are two must-be-fixed items for me in V6. 

@Ray Proudfoot Shouldn't this topic be placed in the MSFS forum?  I think it has a more deserving home there given the original title of this thread than here.

Nothing against the question itself and as a P3D user I do frequent the MSFS forum to see what the current state of play is with that sim. 

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

Just now, 787flyer said:

@Ray Proudfoot Shouldn't this topic be placed in the MSFS forum?  I think it has a more deserving home there given the original title of this thread than here.

Nothing against the question itself and as a P3D user I do frequent the MSFS forum to see what the current state of play is with that sim. 

I disagree. I think the point of the post is "up to par" where the "par" is P3D and it's current capabilities. Thus correctly placed. 

No, but IMO we're close in the very few departments that are behind.

("par" for me is XP)

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

If I see how the support MFS 2020 solves the problems, I would say absolutely not.

Four days have passed since sending a request to support because the MFS 2020 Marketplace does not allow me to buy or download free addons such as Australia and this issue has not yet been solved.

My request on the site is still open and without any information on why this issue has not yet been resolved.