Sign in to follow this  
LTCSZ

Air Manager App and MS2020?

Does anyone have an experience with the Air Manager App for iPad and MS2020? It really looks good on the App Store. Interesting Question: Why would it cost 65 Euros on the makers website and $23 on the App Store? Any opinions welcome! Thanks a lot...

Steve

7 Miles NW of KGCK

Air Manager for PC has more capabilities than Air Manager for iPad.  Russ Barlow has a great Youtube channel with a very good overview of the Air Manager system.

Edited by hs118

I use Air Manager on both ipad and android tablets. Other than occasionally having to reinstall the PC client program for some reason, when the tablet app doesn't connect, it works great. (Reinstall only takes 30 seconds or so.) No FPS issues that I can notice. I also used the PC version before the ipad/android  version released, and it too worked well. The tablet  version is much more convenient, though, at least to me.

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

Do you find the iPad app too restricted? It is my understanding that very few of the already made panels are usable on the iPad. And it is not possible to create your own panels. (I find the descriptions of the different versions confusing!) Basically, I fly single/twin engine GA planes on VFR flights. I would appreciate your advice! Thanks!

Steve

LTC US Army Nurse Corps (RET)

Steve

7 Miles NW of KGCK

I use air manager on PC Mac and iPads.

On a PC or Mac you have much more programmability and many more instruments. It works really well on FS2020 now as well as Xplane P3D and old FSX.

If you want to custom build solutions then the PC or Mac version is best.

Even if your sim runs on a PC you can use AM on a Mac as well as on the same PC running the sim.

You get the most out of AM with a touch screen and hardware like the Knobster.

AM is used by a lot of cockpit builders to build hardware interfaces using Arduino or similar interfaces. It gets complex pretty quick when you start to build hardware and program custom gauges etc.

If all you want is a touch screen on a tablet get the iPad version there are lots of prebuilt panels for things like 172's and a few twins  as well.

But if you want to build custom panels and hardware solutions then the PC or Mac versions are best.

Watch some of the videos on YouTube, and you will get the idea.

Have fun. I own 5 versions of the players, PC and Mac versions and the iPad version as well. It is a very deep program or set of programs really.

I did start just with the iPad version but pretty soon I was getting the PC and Mac full versions as well as the player version. I have built probably close to 100 panels and a lot of hardware interfaces as well. It is addictive.

Here is a quick video that shows how I use AM for the Twin Otter:

• Upvote 1

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

Thanks for the great reply! Could you send me a link at which I could see the panels etc. that are available for the iPad version of AM? I can't seem to find them! (Lived in So Portland Maine for 11 years!) Thanks again,

Steve

Steve

7 Miles NW of KGCK

3 hours ago, LTCSZ said:

And it is not possible to create your own panels.

That's not correct. There are many instruments included with the ipad/android app that you can use to make your own panels. The PC version, as they say above, is definitely more capable, but the tablet app is still pretty good, and it is, IMHO, much easier to use.

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Formerly Young (😩)

7 hours ago, 177B said:

I use air manager on PC Mac and iPads.

On a PC or Mac you have much more programmability and many more instruments. It works really well on FS2020 now as well as Xplane P3D and old FSX.

If you want to custom build solutions then the PC or Mac version is best.

Even if your sim runs on a PC you can use AM on a Mac as well as on the same PC running the sim.

You get the most out of AM with a touch screen and hardware like the Knobster.

AM is used by a lot of cockpit builders to build hardware interfaces using Arduino or similar interfaces. It gets complex pretty quick when you start to build hardware and program custom gauges etc.

If all you want is a touch screen on a tablet get the iPad version there are lots of prebuilt panels for things like 172's and a few twins  as well.

But if you want to build custom panels and hardware solutions then the PC or Mac versions are best.

Watch some of the videos on YouTube, and you will get the idea.

Have fun. I own 5 versions of the players, PC and Mac versions and the iPad version as well. It is a very deep program or set of programs really.

I did start just with the iPad version but pretty soon I was getting the PC and Mac full versions as well as the player version. I have built probably close to 100 panels and a lot of hardware interfaces as well. It is addictive.

Here is a quick video that shows how I use AM for the Twin Otter:

Great info, thanks. However, I know it can be done in FSX and P3D, but do you know how easy it is to run  AM on a second computer in MSFS so I can keep all the instruments away from the main computer?

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

9 hours ago, LTCSZ said:

And it is not possible to create your own panels.

The main restriction with the iPad version is that it's not possible to create your own gauges. The real power of Air Manager is that it's completely open, which means you can create any gauge you want from scratch, with no complex tools and relatively little technical expertise. But you can only do this with the desktop version.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

2 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

Great info, thanks. However, I know it can be done in FSX and P3D, but do you know how easy it is to run  AM on a second computer in MSFS so I can keep all the instruments away from the main computer?

Yes it works just the same as XP P3D etc, just install the plugin, per SimInnovation instructions.

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

10 hours ago, LTCSZ said:

Thanks for the great reply! Could you send me a link at which I could see the panels etc. that are available for the iPad version of AM? I can't seem to find them! (Lived in So Portland Maine for 11 years!) Thanks again,

Steve

I can't find a link showing what exactly is included. But I think there are at least 400 instruments and a few dozen panels to choose from. It is easy to build and customize your own panels. Not as many as in the PC/Mac version but plenty really.

Pit.jpg

51 minutes ago, 177B said:

Yes it works just the same as XP P3D etc, just install the plugin, per SimInnovation instructions.

Cool, thanks.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Is the iPad app usable on more than one flitsim? Can it be used on MSFS and P3d or must I buy an app for each sim? Thanks.

Steve

7 Miles NW of KGCK

You can use it with X-Plane 9,10, and 11, P3D v1-5, FSX, FSX Steam, MSFS, and FS 2!

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Formerly Young (😩)

I purchased the Air Manager for iPad this morning and I am getting nowhere fast. I designed a basic, generic panel intending on trying the app out. Now what do I do? How do I assign the panel to an aircraft? How do I select that panel? How do I save that panel? I think I could get hooked on this app once I figure it out. Is there any step-by-step guide for designing and loading my designs? I am able to connect to the sim (p3d) easily and have loaded the Sim innovation drivers. Any assistance appreciated!

Steve

7 Miles NW of KGCK