Sign in to follow this  
penta_a

Sim Update 8 Beta Preview (Thu Feb 10 at 8:00am PT)

Welcome! This announcement is for those who are interested in participating in the SU8 Public Beta. Our focus in this beta will be:

• Checking stability and performance
  • Testing against the release notes to confirm accuracy
  • Providing an opportunity for 3rd party developers to test their products in a beta environment

The Sim Update 8 beta will be available to join on Thursday, February 10th starting at 8:00am PT. To join this public test, please see the instructions below for your preferred platform.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/sim-update-8-beta-preview/497063

• Like 5

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

Hard pass for me after the recent fiasco of having to re-install everything, but I am very curious of and hopeful they'll make the release notes public. Very curious what bugs they fixed. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

I did not expect them do an open beta for a sim update…

I wonder if it’s because it’s just bug fixes instead of new features?

It’s on Steam and MS STORE

Edited by Tuskin38

3 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

We will probably have the patch notes tomorrow.

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

What's the over/under for how many people will fail to read the instructions and have to do a complete reinstall once the beta ends?

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

2 minutes ago, Twenty6 said:

What's the over/under for how many people will fail to read the instructions and have to do a complete reinstall once the beta ends?

Clarity from my end as the shots were fired. I went on a holiday right before new years, came back towards mid January and bam, I had no way to get out of beta or any other options to opt out before the thing forced itself to re-install. 

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Unlike the previous public beta this one could break a number of addon planes as Aosobo has indicated so I will not be participating until there is more information on what works and what doesn't.

Edited by jarmstro
  • Like 1

Lol. 

Aren't there at least half a dozen threads about folks clamoring for Asobo to make betas public?

Now Asobo is doing just that, and, well, we have another 6 threads on folks telling us that they are definitely not going to install the beta. 

😏

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

What to Know before You Join

MS Store PC Users: There is always a risk that you may have to re-install the sim when joining/leaving a flight, so please keep this in mind before participating. When the flight ends), we ask that you manually remove yourself from the Preview. By doing so, you will get an update to MSFS with the latest public build. If you do not remove yourself from the group, we plan on automatically removing everyone on March 7th. At that point, you will get an update to MSFS with the latest public build.

If you have MSFS content installed completely on a custom path, you will have a much lower chance that a full re-install will be necessary when the update is officially released. However, if your sim content is installed in the default path selected by the in game content manager, you may have to reinstall the whole sim when moving from the test build to the public build. We recommend that those who wish to test with us ensure your sim content is located in a custom path before joining the flight to avoid full reinstallations in the future (Details on how to do this can be found here: [HOW-TO] Change the installation path of installed packages inc community folder 5) . The best set up would be for your store app to live on the default 😄 drive and sim content on a custom drive

Edited by Ricardo41
  • Like 13
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Drumcode said:

Hard pass for me after the recent fiasco of having to re-install everything, but I am very curious of and hopeful they'll make the release notes public. Very curious what bugs they fixed. 

I think the main recommendation is not join the beta if MSFS is installed in the default location.  I have the Steam version that is not installed in a default location.  For me joining the beta was a single mouse click to allow the beta, and no action at all to end the beta. 

• Like 3

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

2 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

I try not to forget that ChaoticBeauty is your TRUSTED source for reliable information on all things MSFS 2020.

Next on the list for us is Sim Update 8, which focuses on bug fixes in the sim. This update is targeted for release on March 1st. As mentioned on last week’s dev Q&A, we are planning a public beta period for this update, which will include all platforms (that means Steam, too!). Stay tuned for how to join that optional flight soon.

Regards, Kendall

I just hope they actually try and fix things during the beta and/or release a timely Hotfix after SU8 Public release if New issues are found during the process.

I'm on Steam so it's a doddle to install, I'm mainly interested in the VR fixes the main one of which being the Mouse Over Toolbar bug (and volumetric lighting). Martial said on the Q&A very briefly that he had a list of fixes for VR in SU8....I await the patch notes...

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Good stuff!!! Bring the Betas. The last one was great for me.

• Like 7

Mike

Intel 12700k No over clocking 32GB G-Skill 3600 Ram MSI RTX3080

6 hours ago, Drumcode said:

Not gonna happen to me - I already made a backup copy of my MSFS install folder. In case it wants to re-install everything, I can just copy the files back. 😉

I'm curious too about what they fixed, but I'll probably wait till after I read the first reports on add-on compatibility

Edited by pstrub
  • Like 3

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

fool me once shame on you , fool me twice shame on me. Ill pass this time 

• Like 2

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

I will join.  For the record, I was installed in a non-standard location the last time, and I still lost settings - it wiped my WpSystem folder with custom camera setups and other sim settings in there (the user.config file for one).  So just make sure you back-up this folder as well.  Mine is about 64Mb, so it is easy enough to copy back afterwards if it gets deleted like mine was. 

This was an undocumented 'feature', not in the instructions - but still people like to blame the victim rather than the people responsible!  :rolleyes:

Anyway, it's great that they are doing these public betas, and I support it, but relating to a non-standard install...   you will have a much lower chance that a full re-install will be necessary

Come on!  A much lower chance?  How about zero chance of a reinstall - Is it really that hard?

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 8

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.