Sign in to follow this  
GoranM

X-Plane 12 Early Alpha - Snow and Ice

Quite a long way to go to get close to realistic snow and ice visualisation.

I actually took a shot while I was skiing that I think captures many of the things that would need to be done to get close to what snow in the real world is like.

OePXD47.jpg

1. Snow is a fully 3D change, particularly around roads streets and buildings, but even flat areas get significant drifting.

2. trees affect that change, e.g. much less snow under the trees than in open space.

3. the road colours change, from grey in summer to very yellow when surrounded by snow.

4. There is a marked difference in physics between a layer of ice and areas of deep snow, on ice you cant stop, in snow its almost impossible to go, compacted snow is not that different from normal conditions...

"white 2D ground textures and ice colored runways" are a giant leap in the right direction, but I fear the technical challenges to get near to something that could be classed as "good" snow and ice are too large to see a meaningful difference in visuals in that respect any time soon.

(one of those "hope I'm wrong" observations...)

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

AutoATC Developer

13 hours ago, mSparks said:

I actually took a shot while I was skiing that I think captures many of the things that would need to be done to get close to what snow in the real world is like.

Isn't the building to the left a little bit melted? 🙂

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Looking great. Hope they improve the water as well. 

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

The runway ice looks good, but honestly MSFS is a completely different league compared to what we are seeing in the X-plane 12 previews.

Edited by rjetster
  • Like 2

Well, it answers my remarks regarding ice / snow accumulation.

I do like that 330 !!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

5 hours ago, rjetster said:

The runway ice looks good, but honestly MSFS is a completely different league compared to what we are seeing in the X-plane 12 previews.

A - L - P - H - A.... rinse and repeat!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, mSparks said:

Quite a long way to go to get close to realistic snow and ice visualisation.

OePXD47.jpg

1. Snow is a fully 3D change, particularly around roads streets and buildings, but even flat areas get significant drifting.

2. trees affect that change, e.g. much less snow under the trees than in open space.

3. the road colours change, from grey in summer to very yellow when surrounded by snow.

4. There is a marked difference in physics between a layer of ice and areas of deep snow, on ice you cant stop, in snow its almost impossible to go, compacted snow is not that different from normal conditions...

"white 2D ground textures and ice colored runways" are a giant leap in the right direction, but I fear the technical challenges to get near to something that could be classed as "good" snow and ice are too large to see a meaningful difference in visuals in that respect any time soon.

(one of those "hope I'm wrong" observations...)

Maybe you should try www.snowsim.com ?  XP is a flight simulator... I mean, come on Mark, there has to be something left in the processing for the aircraft to actually fly correctly, right?  And again... it's an alpha, you know this.  Constructive criticism is acceptable, but really?

Edited by JGregory
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, JGregory said:

Maybe you should try www.snowsim.com ?  XP is a flight simulator... I mean, there has to be something left in the processing for the aircraft to actually fly correctly, right?  And again... it's an alpha, you know this.  Constructive criticism is acceptable, but really?

I didnt really comment on xp12 alpha at all.

we have 2d "snow" in XP11

from ortho

x3gfenv87cv51.png

to autogen

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/46982-seasons-winter-xp11/

Its better than not having 2d snow. But its

1. Not particularly realistic

2. Doesn't add that much to actually enjoying the sim

It was more that I was commenting on the gap between what we can mod now and xp12 will/should make default and that tingling desire for more winter sports and breathtaking mountain views that oozes from every pore as soon as ski season finishes.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

39 minutes ago, mSparks said:

I didnt really comment on xp12 alpha at all.

You could have kept this simple by saying, "yeah, I overreacted", or something similar. Or, better yet, as a dev who was privileged enough to be asked to be an alpha tester, just say NOTHING.

But no...

You attempted a diversion to justify what you said....

Unfortunately for you, the thread is titled "X-Plane 12 Early Alpha - Snow and Ice".

And, your opening response was "Quite a long way to go to get close to realistic snow and ice visualisation."   ...  As the VERY FIRST POST! in the thread!!!!

So, please, don't insult our intelligence by claiming you weren't commenting on XP12 or the video posted by the OP...it's obvious you had a knee-jerk reaction.

I'm sure there is a snow ski simulator available somewhere. I don't plan on taking off or landing my aircraft on any ski slopes any time soon! 

Again, reasonable criticism is expected.  We all want XP12 to be the most it can be, and it will!!!!  But, making the kind of comments you did makes you sound like Greazer!  Please don't sound like Greazer. 🤪

Edited by JGregory
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, JGregory said:

Quite a long way to go to get close to realistic snow and ice visualisation."   ...  As the VERY FIRST POST! in the thread!!!!

Do you think anyone in or behind any of the the videos I posted will be impressed by the video in the OP?

perhaps actually look at my profile image if you are unsure why I care. Thats me in the picture, heres the full version

QXRMxNcr.jpg

AutoATC Developer

9 minutes ago, mSparks said:

Do you think anyone in or behind any of the the videos I posted will be impressed by the video in the OP?

perhaps actually look at my profile image if you are unsure why I care. Thats me in the picture, heres the full version

QXRMxNcr.jpg

Completely irrelevant and more diversion from the actual point I was trying to make.   Again, nice try.   I'm glad you like snow, and know how to walk to and from a helicopter in it with a selfie-stick, pretty much explains your response.

Edited by JGregory
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, JGregory said:

from the actual point I was trying to make.  

What point is that?

That XP12 will capture some realistic aspects of snow and ice?

or it wont?

I hope it will, dont think it will, were you convincing me it will or agreeing it wont.

TBH

1 hour ago, JGregory said:

there has to be something left in the processing for the aircraft to actually fly correctly,

Sounds like you are agreeing it wont, since I said IN THAT POST

21 hours ago, mSparks said:

but I fear the technical challenges to get near to something that could be classed as "good" snow and ice are too large to see a meaningful difference in visuals in that respect any time soon.

also, what is this nonsense?

29 minutes ago, JGregory said:

and know how to walk to and from a helicopter in it 

Err, no, I had just landed. You have seen snow before right? know that you can see where people have been from the footsteps in it right?

Or is your only snow experience from looking at other people photos?

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

4 minutes ago, mSparks said:

What point is that?

That XP12 will capture some realistic aspects of snow and ice?

or it wont?

I hope it will, dont think it will, were you convincing me it will or agreeing it wont.

I'm not sure how you missed it..but....

My original point (response) was that expecting that kind of granularity (detail) in the "snow/ice/rain depiction" in a flight simulator (at this point in time) is something you should know is not going to happen and is on the level of Greazer expecting "rodents' running around.  It's not related to the actual flying of an aircraft, maybe someday there will be enough compute power, but not today.  "Realistic' is subjective but your definition is not doable and you know it.

My second response was to you stating... "I didn't really comment on xp12 alpha at all".  Anyone with a brain can see that was NOT the case and that you specifically responded to the "title" of the thread.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, rather, given your self proclaimed computer knowledge, I am proposing you be more reasonable and realistic. Especially considering you are an alpha tester.

Also, knowing you like to do the "back-and-forth" argument thing, usually with some kind of abstract thinking intended on diversion from the actual subject under discussion, don't expect that I will respond in kind to every post you make. I've made my point VERY clearly already, I'm sorry if you don't get it.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, JGregory said:

in the "snow/ice/rain depiction" in a flight simulator (at this point in time) is something you should know is not going to happen

Meanwhile, 3 years ago while I was passing my PPLH

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer