Sign in to follow this  
GoranM

X-Plane 12 Early Alpha - Snow and Ice

Does anyone yet know whether XP11 orthos will work with (or benefit) XP12? I have about 2TB worth including OrbX, Forkboys USA and Spain UDH. Given the time it took to download, unzip and convert etc deleting them would be painful!

Edited by jarmstro

52 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

Does anyone yet know whether XP11 orthos will work with (or benefit) XP12? I have about 2TB worth including OrbX, Forkboys USA and Spain UDH. Given the time it took to download, unzip and convert etc deleting them would be painful!

They will work

28 minutes ago, mtaxp said:

They will work

Thanks. That's good news.

31 minutes ago, mtaxp said:

They will work

Assuming you have internal knowledge. 
My concern is the new coast lines and roads that Austin talked about, will they integrate correctly with either Orbx TrueEarth or ortho4xp generated sceneries? Nobody knows for now because they have not been developed yet (or so he said)
Also will these override the new swaying 3d trees?

Edited by peroni

9 minutes ago, peroni said:

Assuming you have internal knowledge. 
My concern is the new coast lines and roads that Austin talked about, will they integrate correctly with either Orbx TrueEarth or ortho4xp generated sceneries? Nobody knows for now because they have not been developed yet (or so he said)

I have no internal knowledge. Sidney from laminar said he tested some Orbx TE and they worked, laminar stated that sceneries should have straight forward compatibility + based on my experience with previous iterations of x-plane.

But I think it is rather obvious that new features like 3d trees will need to be updated by the scenery developers, Laminar can't magically update every scenery pack. Some effects like snow however will just work since the default behavior will be "cover everything with snow, unless an artist provided other parameters"

FWIW, laminar are traditionally pretty good at making stuff easy for 3rd parties.

Edited by mtaxp
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

For trees and roads and buildings you need an overlay, those will need to point to the correct libraries to get the new features, like the new 3d trees. 
I guess it will take a while before all 3rd party libraries will incorporate the new vegetation system, and as a workaround most will replace by pointing  to the default vegetation.

So I guess the right answer is, yes they will work once the developers updates them to be compatible with the new XP12 assets, until then they might work only partially.
And they will need to be updated again with XP12.1 once 3d grass is implemented. 
I'm sure Orbx will be on top of things fairly quickly and hopefully also freeware things like x-europe / x-america etc.

I guess a similar approach applies to 3rd party aircafts

Edited by peroni

1 hour ago, peroni said:

If the scenery is pointing to default art assets then it'll use the new trees automatically, if it's using its own custom trees, then no, the developer will need to update them

2 hours ago, jarmstro said:

Yes, they'll work, no need to delete them. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tonywob said:

If the scenery is pointing to default art assets then it'll use the new trees automatically, if it's using its own custom trees, then no, the developer will need to update them

Yes, they'll work, no need to delete them. 

Thanks. With regard to orthos such a Forkboys presumably we omit the overlays? Or are they still necessary?

2 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

Thanks. With regard to orthos such a Forkboys presumably we omit the overlays? Or are they still necessary?

As in overlays, I presume you mean the default scenery without the mesh that is put on the orthos (i.e. Default autogen and trees). You'd probably want to redo those to use the new XP12 base scenery as it'll be more up to date, but because they all point to default art assets, you don't need to do anything if you don't want to. If you require them in XP11 then you'll require them in 12 as well.

Thank you. I'll be reusing them in that case even though they are out of date.

On 2/16/2022 at 12:55 PM, jarmstro said:

Thank you. I'll be reusing them in that case even though they are out of date.

Even if they are out of date, you still plan to use them. Bravo 😉 . Still better than what I have seen in 'the other' subforum: a user who complained that the photogrammetry in his area is outdated by around 7 years (or so) and he wants to have it updated. Probably he has painted his house in a different color, and now doesn't recognize it any more in his sim 😄. SCNR

Edited by uwespeed
  • Like 2

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

On 2/18/2022 at 10:55 AM, uwespeed said:

a user who complained that the photogrammetry in his area is outdated by around 7 years (or so)

expectations of virtual airline "unlimited budget" crashes head on into reality airways.

It will take a while for the NTSB report to come through on that one.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

I’ve just hidden a post that was purely about MSFS with just a fleeting mention of XP. This is the XP forum. Had the post made some meaningful comparisons with XP it would have stayed visible. Look at the topic title and stick to it!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I’ve just hidden a post that was purely about MSFS with just a fleeting mention of XP. This is the XP forum. Had the post made some meaningful comparisons with XP it would have stayed visible. Look at the topic title and stick to it!

I just nuked my reply to it, not that bad tbh - at least tried to wrap it in an XP twist. I was 50/50 whether to even try and reply since it had so little to do with the thread.

Perhaps he could start a new thread contrasting

https://www.popsci.com/military-aviation-space/article/2003-07/austin-goliath/

with everything he just said.

Also, why was the post with that link and the XP Q&A hidden in the "I luv LR" thread?

AutoATC Developer