Sign in to follow this  
blaunarwal

Adjusting older 3rd party airports for P3Dv5

1 hour ago, djbully said:

Yep, that did the trick! Thank you 🙂

Great!

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

I have a different method of doing this, but it appears to achieve the same results. Rather than change the airport altitude of the addon scenery to conform to the default V5 airport altitude, I change the default V5 altitude to conform to the addon scenery, and add a separate exclusion folder at a lower priority so as to not have to alter any of the addon scenery's files. This method, using CloudBerry KOAK as an example:

1. Using ADE, open KOAK_ADE_noDynLights.bgl, or whatever the main airport .bgl is for your scenery. Take note of the airport altitude in airport reference data - it's 5.997. That's all I need to do with this file.

2. Open the V5 Stock KOAK, note the altitude: it's 8.999. Change it to 5.997. 

3. Open lists, Scenery objects, select all, delete. Do the same for taxi signs. 

4. Add a polygon (green icon on top toolbar) around the airport. When done, double click inside of it. The type will be Exclude Specific, the tag will be Airport Backgrounds Flatten MaskClassMap Autogen. 

5. Save, then compile airport. In the process of compiling, you need to create a new folder, call it KOAK-Exclude or whatever. Within that, create another folder, "Scenery." Compile the .bgl inside that folder. It will also generate a .cvx file.

6. Add the KOAK-Exclude folder to your sim library, preferably using a tool such as Lorby's P3D Addon Organizer. It needs to be a LOWER priority than your main Cloudberry KOAK folder.

That's it, seems to work for me. I am by no means an expert at ADE, just lots of trial and error. 

Ben 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

P3D 4.3, Windows 10/64 bit, Intel 6700k @ 4.7 air-cooled, NVidia 2080 Ti Founders Edition, ASUS Rog Maximus VIII Ranger, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 @3200, Phanteks Anthoo Pro Series Case, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 500GB, Sandisk 1TB SATA, Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive, Cooler Master 700W, 40-inch Samsung 4k TV

3 hours ago, bbain1187 said:

I have a different method of doing this, but it appears to achieve the same results

Excellent approach and very well explained.

Jesse

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

4 hours ago, bbain1187 said:

I have a different method of doing this, but it appears to achieve the same results. Rather than change the airport altitude of the addon scenery to conform to the default V5 airport altitude, I change the default V5 altitude to conform to the addon scenery, and add a separate exclusion folder at a lower priority so as to not have to alter any of the addon scenery's files. This method, using CloudBerry KOAK as an example:

1. Using ADE, open KOAK_ADE_noDynLights.bgl, or whatever the main airport .bgl is for your scenery. Take note of the airport altitude in airport reference data - it's 5.997. That's all I need to do with this file.

2. Open the V5 Stock KOAK, note the altitude: it's 8.999. Change it to 5.997. 

3. Open lists, Scenery objects, select all, delete. Do the same for taxi signs. 

4. Add a polygon (green icon on top toolbar) around the airport. When done, double click inside of it. The type will be Exclude Specific, the tag will be Airport Backgrounds Flatten MaskClassMap Autogen. 

5. Save, then compile airport. In the process of compiling, you need to create a new folder, call it KOAK-Exclude or whatever. Within that, create another folder, "Scenery." Compile the .bgl inside that folder. It will also generate a .cvx file.

6. Add the KOAK-Exclude folder to your sim library, preferably using a tool such as Lorby's P3D Addon Organizer. It needs to be a LOWER priority than your main Cloudberry KOAK folder.

That's it, seems to work for me. I am by no means an expert at ADE, just lots of trial and error. 

Ben 

Thanks! If my only problem is the altitude and I don't have default building etc.. blending in is there a shorter flow to just fix the altitude?

Thanks for the great info!

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

17 minutes ago, Shomron said:

Thanks! If my only problem is the altitude and I don't have default building etc.. blending in is there a shorter flow to just fix the altitude?

I believe you should be able to skip step 2 and then you will only need the .cvx file from step 5. You can add it as Ben explained in step 7 or simply add it to the original airport scenery folder.

If I'm wrong hopefully Ben or someone else will correct me.

Hope that helps,

Jesse

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

7 hours ago, Shomron said:

Thanks for the great info!

Honestly, it takes 30 seconds to delete the default objects (it would take more time to load up the scenery just to see if you need to delete the default objects) but in theory, if you don't see the default buildings bleeding through then step 3 wouldn't be necessary.

7 hours ago, JesC said:

I believe you should be able to skip step 2 and then you will only need the .cvx file from step 5. You can add it as Ben explained in step 7 or simply add it to the original airport scenery folder.

If I'm wrong hopefully Ben or someone else will correct me.

Hope that helps,

Jesse

I believe I experimented with just putting the .cvx file in the main scenery addon's folder and deleting the associated .bgl but I don't think that worked. I could be wrong though so you're welcome to give that a shot. 

The problem with putting the .bgl file in the main scenery addon's folder is that the AFCAD could be read by the sim and GSX so you will have default V5 gates. 

Ben 

P3D 4.3, Windows 10/64 bit, Intel 6700k @ 4.7 air-cooled, NVidia 2080 Ti Founders Edition, ASUS Rog Maximus VIII Ranger, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 @3200, Phanteks Anthoo Pro Series Case, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 500GB, Sandisk 1TB SATA, Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive, Cooler Master 700W, 40-inch Samsung 4k TV

@bbain1187

Nice one, but how to keep my default taxiways and aprons? thank you.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Removed long quoted post.

wow guys thanks so much for the guide!!! Finally VABB from ThaiCreations works!!!

system i9 10850K NVidia RTX3090 24GB Samsung SSD980 m.2 1TB (x2) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD Seagate 2TB external drive Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB SSD Asus B460M-PLUS Mobo 32GB GSkill DDR4 3000mhz Ram using P3D v5.3

On 2/14/2022 at 5:22 PM, gibanica said:

@bbain1187

Nice one, but how to keep my default taxiways and aprons? thank you.

Not sure if I understand your question. You want to use an addon scenery, but have the default v5 taxiways and aprons showing through? 

Ben

Edited by bbain1187

On 2/16/2022 at 5:48 AM, bbain1187 said:

Not sure if I understand your question. You want to use an addon scenery, but have the default v5 taxiways and aprons showing through? 

Ben

exactly, cuz the addon creator used stock taxiways and aprons. Is it too complicate?

A few months into this project I’m asking if those who have created AFCADs for P3D v5 would upload them to AvSim Library.

This extremely useful site monitors the Library and other major sites for new freeware scenery which includes AFCADs.

Sadly, there are far fewer v5 files than for v4 but there are still plenty of us who like to enhance our installations. Your hard work can be enjoyed by many more like-minded people.

Just be careful not to infringe copyright. Default airport AFCADs only please.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

8 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Just be careful not to infringe copyright. Default airport AFCADs only please.

Not necessary Ray, copyright law (UK at least I studied it) allows for derivative works based on an original.  In our case a modified afcad even from a payware source, infringes no copyright whatsoever.

"In copyright law, a derivative work is an expressive creation that includes major copyrightable elements of an original, previously created first work (the underlying work). The derivative work becomes a second, separate work independent in form from the first."

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

@kevinfirth, good news, thanks. In that case feel free to upload any AFCADs to the Library.

There’s still plenty of life in the old dog! 👍

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Of course, with updated AFCADs, Id argue there was more not less of an incentive to own any payware scenery that goes alongside it 🙂

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

i am interested in adding an animated windsock to my scenery. I know that this can be done using SODE and ADE will add a non animated

windsock, (I tried that one) - is there another method of adding an animated windsock to an airport scenery?

Thanks.