Sign in to follow this  
RJC68

FBW A32NX - Cannot De Ice Cockpit Windows

Hi All,

Normally I fly European routes but today I decided to fly in Canada, my home country. Sitting at the gate at CYEG preparing for my flight with live weather the windshield completely froze up, all the icing settings in MSFS are turned off. Even with the engines running and anti ice turned on it would not clear on the ground. I had to turn live weather off and manually set the temp to get rid of it so I could see out of the cockpit window to taxi.

Does anyone know how to stop this happening with live weather? The TAT was only -4. I don't know if I am missing something completely obvious. I turned all the anti ice incl probe/window heat on & off but it made no difference whatsoever.

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

39 minutes ago, RJC68 said:

Hi All,

Normally I fly European routes but today I decided to fly in Canada, my home country. Sitting at the gate at CYEG preparing for my flight with live weather the windshield completely froze up, all the icing settings in MSFS are turned off. Even with the engines running and anti ice turned on it would not clear on the ground. I had to turn live weather off and manually set the temp to get rid of it so I could see out of the cockpit window to taxi.

Does anyone know how to stop this happening with live weather? The TAT was only -4. I don't know if I am missing something completely obvious. I turned all the anti ice incl probe/window heat on & off but it made no difference whatsoever.

Not sure if this is the correct answer procedure wise, but it happened to me once and I just turned the heat in the cockpit up and that did the trick.

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

In developer mode, with the developer menu showing you can dial down the icing. Forgot exactly which menu, but it is there with a blueish bar..... (sorry not at my sim at the moment).

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

1 hour ago, RJC68 said:

I also have icing turned off in the settings, but the cockpit windows still like to ice over if the OAT is below zero C.

From what I've seen, at least the APU needs to be running (and I think bleed turned on) and Probe/Window heat turned on in order to clear the cockpit windows. Ground power does not appear to be enough (but I could be wrong).

Keep in mind though, that it will take several minutes for the windows to clear up. So if the windows are iced up, I'll power up the plane with ground power, then immediately start the APU. Then carry on with the usual preparations.

...jim

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

3 hours ago, JimBrown said:

I also have icing turned off in the settings, but the cockpit windows still like to ice over if the OAT is below zero C.

From what I've seen, at least the APU needs to be running (and I think bleed turned on) and Probe/Window heat turned on in order to clear the cockpit windows. Ground power does not appear to be enough (but I could be wrong).

Keep in mind though, that it will take several minutes for the windows to clear up. So if the windows are iced up, I'll power up the plane with ground power, then immediately start the APU. Then carry on with the usual preparations.

...jim

Thanks Jim,

I will give that a go. I figured with the engines running the ice would clear but it didn't 

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

3 hours ago, Silicus said:

In developer mode, with the developer menu showing you can dial down the icing. Forgot exactly which menu, but it is there with a blueish bar..... (sorry not at my sim at the moment).

Thanks I will take a look

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

20 minutes ago, Fog Bound said:

Turn on Probe/Window heat to clear the ice

I did try that but it didn't work,

Just trying some of the options above

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

20 hours ago, Silicus said:

I found this option in the developer menu and set it too zero and reloaded at Yellowknife and sat on the ramp and no icing appeared. 
Thanks for the help

Richard

mmBbmS1.png