Sign in to follow this  
regis9

Dash 7 Announced

Does anyone know what sort of GPS, if any, is fitted to those Dash 7s still operating ? All the photos I've found online show a purely steam-gauge flight deck, but I'm sure there must be some with GPS by now. The British Antarctic Survey aircraft must have a Garmin unit  - no ?

Edited by Paul K

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

35 minutes ago, Paul K said:

Does anyone know what sort of GPS, if any, is fitted to those Dash 7s still operating ? All the photos I've found online show a purely steam-gauge flight deck, but I'm sure there must be some with GPS by now. The British Antarctic Survey aircraft must have a Garmin unit  - no ?

There's some older flightdeck pics that have a Garmin 155 stuck on the glareshield, but in a picture in this article it seems that at least one or two have received some love and a nice GTN setup. 

Prpn and Adrian123, thanks for the responses and links. The Dash 7 is very steam gauge-ish, and with VORs and NDBs in decline, any FMC and/or GPS functionality will be welcome. A beautiful aircraft - what a pity it wasn't more succesful.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

This is one plane I had given up hope of ever seeing in the sim again. I am looking forward to this coming out. I used to fly the one made by Milton Shoup and his crew all the time.

I Never fly airliners in the sim, but this is tempting, something with some character and the ability to get into some interesting airfields (They regularly flew into/out of Courcheval IRL)

• Like 2

This Dash 7 will be fun. I really enjoyed the one that was developed for FS2004.

Rocky Mountain Airways flew these for a short period from Denver to the ski resorts in Colorado. I was fortunate to have taken a couple flights into Telluride. It seemed like they approached and departed at a 45 degree pitch angle. After touchdown the reversers on those 4 turboprops slowed the plane immediately. I don't think they used the brakes until coming to a final stop on the ramp. I talked with the pilots after one flight and said that they really enjoyed flying the Dash 7. I think they pushed it close to the limits for kicks and grins.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

I know this thread is about the Dash 7 and I am not hijacking but just raising awareness for interests sake of a similar performance aircraft that if we had it MSFS would be a lot of fun for those guys on bush trips. The Hawker Siddley Andover C.1. A lot of UK types reading this will be aware of the Andover. It was a military version of the HS748 and had a rear cargo ramp and door and a kneeling undercarriage. With a stall speed of 90 kts it was very much a STOL aircraft with very similar performance to the Dash 7 taking off from fields of less than 2000 ft.  It was fitted with 2 Dart engines delivering similar total SHP as the four engine Dash 7.  

No where near as prolific as the Dash7, I think there were only 30+ built of which a handful struggle to remain in commercial service mostly in Africa. 

I used to fly as crew on the Andover when the Royal New Zealand Air Force purchased 10 of them, from the RAF. While the Andover's range was 1000nm (a bit better than the 600nm or so of the Dash7), it was too limited in payload on some of the longer South West Pacific operations. But boy was it fun landing into short coral strips and puddle jumping around coral atolls!! 

Anyway, not to hijack the Dash 7 news but it would be nice to see an Andover turn up in the Marketplace one day as well.!!   

Zkl5MHXXqoBb8QbTe_ps2Q5HuVNstxhwcGLfBZbC

Edited by Lord Farringdon
  • Upvote 1

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

On 2/13/2022 at 1:51 PM, Fiorentoni said:

No offense, but why in the world a Dash 7? That was used in the 70s/80s and wasn't even very popular back then. Why not a Dash 8 (-300 e.g.)?

exactly my thoughts the minute I saw the announcement.. SWS is such a talented team.. would have been great if they did something more mainstream like an ATR 72-500/600 or Saab 340B.. something a little more contemporary than the Dash7 which I'm seeing for the first time in my 10+ years of simming.. 

• Like 1

Vinod Kumar

i9 10900K 5.3 Ghz, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

ATR is already being developed by multiple teams I believe. And the Saab is a bit meh, does not really have anything special going for it. It is also a plane that was not manufactured in great numbers and is in use with about a handful of operators only, mostly being phased out. I'd rather see the larger Saab 2000 then.

At least the Dash 7 has some more unique capabilities and characteristics 🙂 .

saab 340 is more popular than 2000 variant.. also its not 'meh'.. I like the elegant look of the saab way better than the Q400 dash series which is like a long pencil on stilts.. looks are subjective.. also Saab is very personal to me as my company is working on a major project with saab on the propulsion system.. 

• Like 1

Vinod Kumar

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

I already own 2 saabs (A and B variants) in XP11, which will look even greater in XP12.. but just saying that if SWS had to pick a regional prop, there are more popular and contemporary options than the dash 7...  

I know Milviz and Asobo will eventually come out with an ATR (maybe 2023?) but would be nice to get a solid twin prop.. the default 350i is kinda 'meh' and my bravo quadrant w'd love a good twin prop so i can use all the different levers..

Vinod Kumar

More news... SimWorks Studios says that the exterior model is now complete and fully animated.

22070212501616140517941506.jpg

22070212501516140517941505.jpg

• Like 4

Guillaume

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K OC 5.5 GHz▪︎  ZOTAC RTX 4090 Trinity OC ▪︎ 64GB Crucial Ballistix  ▪︎ Windows 11 Pro (23H2) ▪︎ 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive et MSFS) ▪︎ 3x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA SSD ▪︎  Corsair RMX 1000W 80 plus Gold PSU  ▪︎ LIAN-LI ODYSSEY X black case

32 minutes ago, guibru said:

More news... SimWorks Studios says that the exterior model is now complete and fully animated.

22070212501616140517941506.jpg

22070212501516140517941505.jpg

Looks more like the interior model to me. 😉