Sign in to follow this  
Tim_Capps

P3Dv4 Airports Working in P3Dv5

This topic is meant to be not as technical as the other similar one that is pinned. These are for those of us with more basic skills and prefer something as close to off-shelf as possible. So here are a couple to start with. I'm not going to review these, just mention whatever I find interesting (good or horrible) as briefly as possible. Obviously, some may be limited vis-a-vis their v5 proper counterparts. And my methods are pretty simple. Others may prefer voodoo like XML files and the like.

CYTZ Billy Bishop Toronto from Skyline. Installed without any problems and is vastly more detailed than its default version. I had just mentioned how useful the coming GSX2 gate walkout feature would be for the Majestic Dash-8-Q400 and what do you know! That feature was released this very day!

MMMY Monterrey Mexico by MagSoft. This was a bit trickier. If you just point the installer to the Addon Scenery folder in P3Dv5, you get the individual folders scattered about. Not very useful. I dragged the actual folder from the "SimMarket" one it installed there, and deleted the latter. Then I separated the Scenery and Texture folders from the Data folder so they were directly beneath the MagSoft MMMY folder in Addon Scenery, and added it through the Addons--> Scenery Library method. But I discovered my work wasn't done because the jetways were messed up. So I went to the MagSoft site and found this page with these fixes. There are instructions in Spanish, but it wasn't hard to figure out what went where to get the jetways right and working with GSX. Now it's perfect.

Latin VFR's SLVR Viru Viru is an interesting airport smack in the middle of South America with a challenging approach. If you just try to install to the Addons folder in P3Dv5, you're going to get scattered folders again. I created an SLVR folder there to collect them into, used the Addons menu in the P3D options again, and it looks just fine. HOWEVER, I have not been able to find files that will make the jetways compatible with SODE / GSX. So as of writing the jetways don't work. I'm sure someone will come along with an easy solution.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tim_Capps said:

MMMY Monterrey Mexico by MagSoft. This was a bit trickier. If you just point the installer to the Addon Scenery folder in P3Dv5, you get the individual folders scattered about. Not very useful. I dragged the actual folder from the "SimMarket" one it installed there, and deleted the latter. Then I separated the Scenery and Texture folders from the Data folder so they were directly beneath the MagSoft MMMY folder in Addon Scenery, and added it through the Addons--> Scenery Library method. But I discovered my work wasn't done because the jetways were messed up. So I went to the MagSoft site and found this page with these fixes. There are instructions in Spanish, but it wasn't hard to figure out what went where to get the jetways right and working with GSX. Now it's perfect.

how is Monterrey ?

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Most of a long quoted post removed.

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

3 hours ago, micstatic said:

how is Monterrey ?

I think it's good. Lots of custom buildings, colorful, some decent area around it, looks like it's carved out of the forest... makes a nice companion to MMGL: close to the border for shorter international flights and a decent domestic route to Guadalajara, which is even better.

• Like 1

Tim -- don't know if you know but VORMEXICO (https://vormexicostudios.com/) has produced photoscenery for the entire country of Mexico (as well as the Caribbean and Cuba and Central America). Very reasonably priced (in comparison to Megascenery) and also includes autogen. Their website is having issues after being hacked but they are on Facebook if you have problems ordering or need more info.

Have a great weekend!

P.

• Upvote 1

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

SLVR still driving me nuts. Jetways don't work and no GSX support files to be found anywhere. SAEZ is also a mess. Other than that, I have been very happy with my 70 euro splurge into mostly v4 land.

5 hours ago, Tim_Capps said:

SLVR still driving me nuts

LatinVFR responded that the gateways were operated by AES, so I suppose that is game, set and match. It's not one of the better airports but I had it anyway, and it has lots of parking, and will still be much better than default.

v4 success stories are Colsimmer's SKMU Alberto Bentley--a beautiful little riverside airport in the middle of nowhere still capable of handling a jet for five bucks. Nice animated birds. Only problem is textures not showing on a static aircraft, but that is solvable one way or another. By the same dev is the also cheap SKVP which is a little bigger and in a valley surrounded by impressive mountains. Low End's SPJL is near Lake Titicaca at 12,552 feet and designed to be easy on less capable computers, but is still not bad looking, has a really long runway and is technically an international airport. It includes a surrounding town and a tarmac that looks like it just stopped raining. Golden Retriever's SCSE is a very colorful little airport about 220 nm north of the more familiar Santiago SCEL and features details like a waving flag and 3D cars parking in back. All of these airports are capable of handling an MD-80 or 737. Finally, Wingsim's SKVP is a Columban Airport that borders Venezuela in the north. It's small and neglected but will handle a jet with whatever questionable cargo it looks like you'd be flying out of a place like this. Definitely worth five bucks.

So, SAEZ Buenos Aires is the only one still giving me fits. And this doesn't include all the little inexpensive gems available for v5 officially.

Has anyone had any luck getting Riddlez Bellingham to work in v5?

Dan

Dan Pergau - PPL-SEL

I7-10700k, RTX4070, 32gb-3200mhz | Dell U3415W | Saitek Pro Pedals & Logitech 3D Extreme | - PMDG Boeings, iFly MAX, Fenix A320, Leonardo MadDog and Majestic Q400 | P3Dv5 & MSFS

1 hour ago, dpergau said:

Has anyone had any luck getting Riddlez Bellingham to work in v5?

Dan

Yep.     Just did it this week. 

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Tim,

Which SAEZ are you having trouble with ?  I've installed Tropicalsim's version and it's working just fine.

38 minutes ago, Bunkie said:

Which SAEZ are you having trouble with ?  I've installed Tropicalsim's version and it's working just fine.

Same one. The gateways don't look right to me. Otherwise, it's fine.

2022-2-13_7-56-31-615 - Copy.jpg

13 hours ago, Tim_Capps said:

Finally, Wingsim's SKVP

Sorry. I meant SKPD.

Regarding the Tropicalsim SAEZ - my jetways looked okay, at least I remember it being that way.  Have you installed the exclusion available over on inibuilds ?

2 hours ago, micstatic said:

Yep.     Just did it this week. 

Fantastic!  Thanks for sharing this.

• Like 1

Dan Pergau - PPL-SEL

I7-10700k, RTX4070, 32gb-3200mhz | Dell U3415W | Saitek Pro Pedals & Logitech 3D Extreme | - PMDG Boeings, iFly MAX, Fenix A320, Leonardo MadDog and Majestic Q400 | P3Dv5 & MSFS

1 hour ago, Bunkie said:

Have you installed the exclusion available over on inibuilds ?

Yes. I still have multiple jetways. It's probably a matter of tracking down which .bgls to turn off. FWIW I don't have anything in the GSX airports folder, although the jetways still work--there are just duplicates. At least the unusual dual-level passageways are the way they are supposed to be, which I initially thought was odd.

Ah!  Go to your L2 GSX folder and turn off default jetways.  That's not the menu available in-sim, that's one you have to find in using the start menu.  Just search GSX - that one had me stumped for days.