Sign in to follow this  
787flyer

Did you know?- Orbx Support forums now read-only

Hi,

Just thought I would mention it here that since late this week apparently, the Support forums over at Orbx have all been made read-only and you now have to log a Support ticket.(https://orbx.to/support)

At least the forums and all the helpful advice previously posted is still available, but its a shame you can no longer post a reply with your observations or add helpful hints in the Support forums.

I also discovered that Volanta Support via Discord has also been closed as a support channel (OK, this I am not so sad about as I struggled with Discord to get support questions answered- not just that specific channel either)

From a certain perspective I understand the move to centralize this through a ticketing system. I can not imagine how many issues Orbx deal with on a daily/weekly basis, but in my view not being able to search for new issues being reported by the community is a real set back.

For example, there is a search function on their new Product Support site but if you type in "YMML" or "Brisbane" , I would have expected a fair number of hits, but I received "No Results".

I guess from a P3D perspective, many of the issues have already been reported on the fourm, so may be the impact is not so great for the P3D community versus those that need active support for MSFS and X-Plane??

Unfortunately there are only a handful (~15) of topics now available on the main Support site for P3D/FSX.

https://support.orbxdirect.com/hc/en-us/sections/360000674835-FSX-Prepar3D

For me this appears to be a bit of a retrograde step by Orbx as the community help that the forums did make possible is now gone. 

I will miss Nick C's and Doug S' efforts and support on the Orbx Support forums. Hopefully they are still around, behind-the-scenes??

EDIT:

Note to Moderators- if you feel this is not the right place for this thread even though it directly affects P3D users, please feel free to move this to another sub forum.

Edited by 787flyer
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

I just can't believe it! 😲

Being a long time Orbx forum member , the change has not gone over well .

4 hours ago, 787flyer said:

Same for this forum read-only. Like all of us here, we need to log on before we put/answer a topic, upload/download a file or we help each other with an issue.
I think that there are many forums like that, PMDG, FSLABS, P3D, etc, just a few to mention.
The bottom line is that we have a choice, log on or just ignore.

Edited by LRBS

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

The problem with this system is that huge issues with products can lie below the surface without other potential users even knowing about it.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

9 minutes ago, micstatic said:

The problem with this system is that huge issues with products can lie below the surface without other potential users even knowing about it.  

Thought the same if I got you right. If a solution is only sent to the person who submitted the ticket no one else will see that. I bet they get tons of tickets asking the same thing. In a forum you could post a sticky or something.

Edited by threegreen
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

31 minutes ago, micstatic said:

As there are issues related to MSFS, P3D, FSLABS, PMDG, and many users or potential users are not aware of it. I understand and respect the notion but there is also another way of looking at it. In the end, it's up to the developer to do whatever they want with their forums. It is just up to the customer (or potential customer) to do their homework and make a decision if they want to deal with it or not.
At least these guys don't require your real full name and other nonsense to register there.

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

I guess they got tired of people asking about the missing KSUN fix they promised like a year ago but that never happened no matter how often you ask, despite it being listed and sold as compatible with P3D5.

16 minutes ago, flycln said:

I guess they got tired of people asking about the missing KSUN fix they promised like a year ago but that never happened no matter how often you ask, despite it being listed and sold as compatible with P3D5.

Hah.  I was one of them.  In fact I literally just turned in a ticket about it.  They got back to me in a few days.  Then they found an old link from a year ago with same issue (no Solution).  Ironically, I was part of that thread.  I must have just forgot I was waiting for a solution and didn't notice for a year until I went to fly there. 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

I use the forums as a knowledge base. Most times I don’t need to submit a ticket because I can find it myself. I’m a loyal ORBX customer and have been for years but I don’t like this one bit. 

Edit: Many times I’ll just browse the forums and pick up useful tips. 

Edited by Fatback
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, 787flyer said:

I will miss Nick C's and Doug S' efforts and support on the Orbx Support forums. Hopefully they are still around, behind-the-scenes??

I had a problem that sat around for 3 days and then asked the question here  on AVSIm and got a reply almost instantly  and solved the problem

I related this to the Orbyx forum and this was Nick's message - which from a bloke - who has helped us for years - I thought was a great answer and gets my thanks

""The Avsim forums were probably the best place, as at 261,000 + members from all backgrounds, versus 101,000 + most of whom are at least interested in Orbx and most probably Orbx customers, the likelihood of someone having the hardware and also having solved the same problem was evidently higher.""

• Like 2

I used to be active there, but now almost everything is about MSFS. What shall I do there? As long as Central works and I can install addons, everything is fine for me.

Dan

• Like 4

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

11 hours ago, threegreen said:

Thought the same if I got you right. If a solution is only sent to the person who submitted the ticket no one else will see that. I bet they get tons of tickets asking the same thing. In a forum you could post a sticky or something.

I hope this backfires on them and they get inundated with support tickets because people can't find information in the forum. Many times I've discovered tips/fixes/procedures posted by Nick C. in the forum.

Edited by JNS

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

the customer service at orbx has been going downhill for years once they released a stream of rubbish products, and people have just stood by and taken it and never moaned, same as aerosoft. you reap what you sow.

go raise a ticket with them about  EGPH,LGKO,LEBB,LOWW,EDDT,ESSA  and see how you get on.   They will flob you off, same as aerosoft will.  

Edited by fluffyflops

14ppkc-6.png

1 hour ago, JNS said:

. Many times I've discovered tips/fixes/procedures posted by Nick C. in the forum.

I agree Jeff.

I have found it an invaluable resource because someone else had the presence of mind to post a reply  or hint or a tip and I never needed to raise a ticket in the first place. Actually if truth be told, my common practice before purchasing a product or initiate an upgrade, is to look at the forum posts and see what issues I may be expected to run into and then better prepare myself. Many times that has helped me avoid issues others have run into.

Lets hope the Orbx Support Center will be developed into something useful. Only time will tell.

• Like 1

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!