Sign in to follow this  
kazeekayo

How to copy msfs folder

I want to download the beta for su8, However I learned my lesson last time and I don’t want to reinstall the whole game after the beta is over and comes out for everyone I have installed the sim At the default location meeting I will have to reinstall. someone said I can just make a new folder called for example “msfsbeta” Copy my existing files there and install the beta there and then I’ll be good to go just delete it when I’m done and go back to the regular location when the beta is over. What files do I copy And paste To this new msfsbeta folder? Is this even possible? Thanks

I would copy everything inside the "Official" and "community" folder. The rest of the files (the base files) aren't very big and can be easily reinstalled/downloaded if needed.
If you selected selected a custom installation folder during install these folders should be apart from the base files which makes it easier to manage them.

• Like 1

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Consider copying your WpSytem folder also.  Mine got wiped when going from the previous beta to the full update.
It contained my customised user config file and my custom camera positions for individual aircraft - they were all gone and my settings in sim were all messed-up on first start up, and this was why.

You may have to search for the folder, as it can go in various places.  I cannot understand why, but MSFS has put it in three separate locations up to now.
It was in the root of my F drive, sitting next to my MSFS folder, but it has now put it on my S drive (for steam apps) for some reason - I have the store version!  :rolleyes:
There is also a ghost folder probably in user on your C drive.  I think this is just a symbolic link.

If you haven't edited your user config, and have not set custom camera positions in your aircraft, it may not affect you.  There are a lot of other files in there however - not sure what everything does yet.

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

10 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

There are a lot of other files in there however - not sure what everything does yet.

I was tempted and played with some of them wpSystem files, those in green, they are obviously protected and contain hidden files. tried to "unprotect" them while cop&paste and booom - MSFS wouldn't start anymore afterwards. so be careful with those green files.

what saved me from re-installing 100GB even though the main MSFS directory was still intact was pretending a de-and re-install. I assume that restored only those protected green files to their original status and let me install the SU8 beta without any further problems. I will never touch those green files again, until next time. 😊

• Like 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.