Sign in to follow this  
chrpank

help selecting SIDs and STARs

Hi guys,

I am currently planning my flights with onlineflightplanner.org. I can use the option "Use SIDs" and "Use STARS" there. This tool uses RouteFinder and RouteFinder describes, that the two respective endpoints of the route are points where SIDs end and STARs should begin. Is that correct so far?

What is the further procedure then? I would now choose the runways according to the wind direction and use the FMS to select a matching SID and STAR. Can I normally find suitable SIDs and STARs in the database? How would you do this?

greetings, Chris

Yep, that's basically correct - but it would be difficult to choose the SID/STAR from the FMS. I use navigraph charts, it lets you see a SID/STAR overview for the runway you chose.

As an example EGLL (Heathrow) to EGPF (Glasgow) the online planner shows the route EGLL SID UMLAT T418 WELIN T420 TNT UN57 POL UN601 RIBEL STAR EGPF

So you need a SID that goes to UMLAT, I can see from the SID chart, the UMLAT 1F works off runway 27R, likewise I look at the STARS at EGPF, looking for one that starts at RIBEL, from the chart I can see the RIBEL 1G fits the bill.

Flying in the USA all the charts are published, Skyvector.com is the easiest source.

As I use Navigraph (a subscription service) I'm not sure of the best source for other charts - but I'm sure their available, usually a google search will find them, just did a search on "EGLL SIDS", and a VATSIM page turned up with all the charts.

Eugene

• Like 1

If you fly in North America the best source for charts is fltplan.com.  Its free, however, you do need to register.  For flight planning SimBrief is the way to go, it will give you the correct SID & STAR most of the time.  Also for North American flights if you go to Flightaware and there is a real world flight for the route, the actual route will be published.

• Like 1

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Little Navmap is another good source. https://albar965.github.io/littlenavmap.html. It uses the navaids that are actually in the sim, and shows sids/stars on its map as you select each one. There is a ton of stuff in it, but I use it for very basic flight planning along with Simbrief.

...jim

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

I also use LNM and Navigraph. I think posts above have covered much about it.

Just add something for realworld consideration:

If there are more than 1 SID/STAR to/from same waypoint, IRL nowadays it's normally RNAV one took priority, if still more to choose, you may found some are longer and some are shorter, that's normally for ATC to give spacing.

Some airports have prefered SID/STAR for noise reason, and may change for different time of days, for eg in RJBB there is a lists of SID to choose based on time of day.