Sign in to follow this  
Guest Funky D

How's the Avsim forums server doing? :)

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

I bet the forum servers sound and feel like Pratt & Whitney jet engines right now. The more the merrier...

Guest Matt Johnson

They're sweating a bit, you may well see a few "database connection failed" at the moment due to the volume of requests. I'd prefer to return those at the moment than to slow down accesses even more.For the *nix geeks out there:$ uptime12:19:11 up 649 days, 14:57, 1 user, load average: 26.86, 27.93, 27.29

Wouldn't now be a good time to ask the users to limit their topic views in their user-preferences to 2 - 4 weeks? Doesn't that aleviate some of the burdon?

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest unitedpilot36

The servers must be getting slammed right now. It took me about 2 minutes to load this thread on cable internet, it's ridiculous.

Well, if I was at home and not at work - I'd be flying and not bothering Avsim :-)Boss, I need to go home early, I'm breaking a web server.

when PMDG's 747 was first released, it killed the forums for a few days. That was fun. Either SP1 isn't as big of a deal, or Avsim's upgraded their forum servers since then. :-)

Guest Matt Johnson

(Unfortunately) Not really, no. The way the forum system works is that it basically retrieves all the data and then selects out the bits that it needs. Limiting topic views doesn't actually have any effect upon the loading of the forum software.The bottleneck is that pretty much all the SP1 traffic is going through one forum -- i.e. one table within the database, and so the delays are being caused by table locking. You'll see that traffic to other forums is actually running fine (which is the good news).So, sorry for the delays in viewing threads etc, but (as it always does) I am sure it will settle in a day or three.

Guest Funky D

Probably a good time to send a donation AVSIM's way :) I've never donated before, but waiting for the forums to load makes you realize there are a LOT of people on here, and bandwidth isn't free... I can spend a few bucks on addons every now and then, time to do the same for the place where I go to find out what addons to buy!If you give a paypal donation, you should go directly to the donation page, as paypal doesn't seem to like the AVSIM banner frame.http://www.avsim.com/pages/helpus.shtml