Sign in to follow this  
CarlosF

F-14 In X-Plane 12 alpha shown off by Austin

Don't know if this was posted before so here it is

• Like 2

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Yes, posted here: 

but, will leave this topic open to discuss this video in particular as the other one went off-topic

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, tonywob said:

Yes, posted here: 

but, will leave this topic open to discuss this video in particular as the other one went off-topic

Do you believe even this won't :blink:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Hopefully not... certain users have been suspended or placed on mod queue... maybe there can be a decent discussion without people taking it personally

• Like 2

Personally I use X-Plane for flying airliners and now Biz-jets (CL650<3) for fighters I have DCS but I can see it can attract some people who want to hop in and fly at mach 2 with their hair on fire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glenn_C said:

for fighters I have DCS

As a platform the military side is actually reasonably well developed in XP11 - all the parts are there, just (afaik) no one has put it all together into a DCS "like" package.

There's a ton of material though, from ships like the aircraft carrier and frigate included as default, and a number of people making working mil aircraft and ships like

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/61945-sa-6-mobilezip/

and

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/69671-russian-aircraft-carrier/

I promised alpeggio to get that all more rounded sometime last year, actually got to start work on it about 2 weeks ago.

AutoATC Developer

Yawn...

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Glad they are giving us the Tomcat and updated carrier we really do need more carrier based planes. Maybe an updated carrier might spur something

11 hours ago, mSparks said:

As a platform the military side is actually reasonably well developed in XP11 - all the parts are there, just (afaik) no one has put it all together into a DCS "like" package.

There's a ton of material though, from ships like the aircraft carrier and frigate included as default, and a number of people making working mil aircraft and ships like

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/61945-sa-6-mobilezip/

and

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/69671-russian-aircraft-carrier/

I promised alpeggio to get that all more rounded sometime last year, actually got to start work on it about 2 weeks ago.

Yeah no, not even close. There is more to a military simulator than having 3d models of planes, ships or vehicles. I think in this case it's all about avionics, systems, missile dynamics etc etc.

XP11 will never reach such level, and neither will XP12. The only reason for having military jets on a civilian sim is what @Glenn_C said, flying low and fast while singing "Highway to hell".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

13 hours ago, mSparks said:

I'd love to lob practice bombs onto bullseyes at the shooting range or go for strafing runs onto canvas targets or have mock dogfights with AI. If you can pull this off together with a scoring system for indicating succesful hits, you'll be my hero.

Practice training in the air to air domain is something no current military flight sim can pull off as in the end, every target crashes and burns. The closest to air to air practice training I can remember was the gunnery lession in B-17:Tm8th with paintball projectiles.

Edited by Bjoern

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

2 hours ago, Pastaiolo said:

Yeah no, not even close. There is more to a military simulator than having 3d models of planes, ships or vehicles. I think in this case it's all about avionics, systems, missile dynamics etc etc.

XP11 will never reach such level, and neither will XP12. The only reason for having military jets on a civilian sim is what @Glenn_C said, flying low and fast while singing "Highway to hell".

yes. there is a lot more required, but the models is virtually all xplane is missing.

It has the weapons, change in weight simulation when you drop them, targeting camera (ir is missing but can be simulated easily enough via tcas), avionics, rocket, bullet and missile simulation.

It even already has nukes.....

proof of concept I did last year using john brays tigre

https://github.com/John-Bray/TIGRE

Main thing that got used for so far was the "where you are looking" context sensitive vr controls in the 744.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

21 minutes ago, mSparks said:

yes. there is a lot more required, but the models is virtually all xplane is missing.

It has the weapons, change in weight simulation when you drop them, targeting camera (ir is missing but can be simulated easily enough via tcas), avionics, rocket, bullet and missile simulation.

It even already has nukes.....

It just isn't the same, will never be. Anyone who have tried a combat flight simulator (DCS as an example) can attest to the difference. There is no addon simulating the avionics side of things of planes, let alone weapons in their complicated and numerous deployment options, flight path scenarios, bomb fuses, GPS coordinates, waypoints, radar emissions, radar disturbance, ground clutter, missile velocity search and tracking algorithms.

Fast plane on XP12, very welcome. It's a plane, it flies like other planes with its own special features. But won't make it comparable to a military sim in any way. 

Gonna end it with an italian saying which i think is very fitting (and will be the reason of me not replying again on this matter):

"Se mia nonna avesse le ruote, sarebbe una carriola" which roughtly translates to "if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wheelbarrow", close to the "if pigs had wings they would fly".

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

4 hours ago, Pastaiolo said:

There is no addon simulating the avionics side

XP already has it, and has had it for a very long time.

The reason you havent seen it made use of much is mostly internal LR and org politics preventing hit detection being added.

Which is what that proof of concept video demod - hitting and setting on fire a truck with the hud aimed cannon on the tigre. 

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer