Sign in to follow this  
jjf

GPU/CPU options

Hey,

Which of the P3D options/settings are CPU dependent, and which are GPU dependant? I am curious as to which options put more load on the CPU vs the GPU.

Hi,

I have found this information:

The following settings only depend on the CPU:
TRAFFIC

GPU dependent settings only:
Resolution, Image and Texture Quality, Mipmap VC Panels,
Tessellation Factor, Texture resolution, Water detail and Reflections.
Enhanced Atmospherics - cloud resolution - Godray - Volumetric Fog
All lighting settings except display lens flare, all shadow settings

CPU and GPU dependent settings:
Variable refresh rate, Wide-view aspect ratio, display lens flare,
Level of detail radius, mesh resolution, enable bathemetry, special effects, whole scenery objects, in the weather settings windshield effects, turbulence and thermal effects, turbulence and thermal effects, thermal visualization, rate of weather change

Regards

Thomas

Thomas

Using MSFS - ORBX Products - PMDG 737- VRinsight MCP Combo II
Saitek Yoke and 2 Saitek Throttles and T.A320 Joystick - 4 Monitors

Flight sims have not changed much CPU Performance GPU I`Candy, That`s why you see users with a RTX3090 still using 1080P res they are CPU bound.

• Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

2 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

Flight sims have not changed much CPU Performance

Would be very helpful, now we know about the various threads used by LM  (MainThread, RenderThread, FrameWorkerThread), what main parameters impact what Thread.
This will give us the how to "compromise" depending on our "priorities"

Gérard

1 hour ago, gaab said:

Would be very helpful, now we know about the various threads used by LM  (MainThread, RenderThread, FrameWorkerThread), what main parameters impact what Thread.
This will give us the how to "compromise" depending on our "priorities"

Gérard

The more powerful your CPU the better P3D uses all cores on my CPU, as for compromise that down to your sim settings as with all sims I tweak for smooth performance at 30fps locked. If your PC hit 100% on all cores 5.2 in my case changing the cores will have no affect. 10 cores HT OFF.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Well I recently upgraded from a 1080ti to a 3080ti and while this was very beneficial for MSFS2020 there was little change in P3D with GPU usage at only 30% under most scenarios. So apart from being able to use 4xSSAA (less shimmering at night) and dynamic lighting without a fps hit not much change in P3D from a very expensive bit of kit. So if you sticking with P3D and don't plan to move to MSFS2020 any time soon keep your 1080ti and save yourself a whole heap of cash. 

Bruce

• Upvote 2

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

5 hours ago, brucewtb said:

So apart from being able to use 4xSSAA (less shimmering at night) and dynamic lighting without a fps hit not much change in P3D from a very expensive bit of kit. So if you sticking with P3D and don't plan to move to MSFS2020 any time soon keep your 1080ti and save yourself a whole heap of cash.

I have a completely different experience.

Upgrade from a 1070 to a 3080Ti has given me the ability to simultaneously run:

Volumetric clouds in overcast weather conditions without bringing the GPU to its knees.

Water detail at high with most reflections on.

Shadows, cast and receive checked for all items except particle effects/smoke.

Texture sizes at High or Ultra (depending on scenario).

Dynamic reflections at medium.

Most importantly, the extra 4 GB of VRAM lets me crank up the detail (for example, very high building and vegetation autogen, high autogen LOD, scenery complexity at extreme), fly a complex airliner into a large detailed airport within a TrueEarth area and not have a dreaded OOM CTD.

While it was rather painful to pay current GPU prices, the ability to complete a flight without an OOM is well worth the cost. The other items in my list above are just very nice added bonuses!

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Well yes I can do all those things but they made little difference to FPS in most scenarios compared to my erstwhile 1080ti which has 11 gb of vram so with a 3080ti you only get 1 gig more. With the 1080ti I could rum P3D5 very well at 4K with moderate to high settings. Yes there were some limitations with dynamic lighting and clouds in heavy weather being the main ones now overcome with the 3080ti.  But your experience may well be quite different  moving from a 1070. Also on my system the 3080ti never runs at more than 30% utilization on P3D5 - it is hardly getting out of first gear.  My point was that if you are sticking with P3D you will be disappointed moving from a 1080ti to 3080ti.  If you also run MSFS2020 then it is a very different story - a big improvement there.

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."