Sign in to follow this  
cantremember

How do you guys pan the camera around?

A couple of versions ago there was introduced a bug that the game ignores controller inputs while you are panning around with right-click.

Now a new bug has also emerged where if you use middle mouse button to pan, the view keeps jumping back, so you can't pan this way together with zoom anymore.

It sort of makes flying a PITA because looking and zooming the view around is something I've grown to do habitually in FS. Though I don't know what the "way of working" is. Maybe those bugs take so long to be fixed because no one else really has the same problem I do.

Actually my most preferred way to look around is FSX/Xplane where you can use the hat switch, but in FS2020 the hat switch makes the camera jump to specific preset locations instead of letting you freely look.

• Like 1

I use Track IR to look around. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, cantremember said:

but in FS2020 the hat switch makes the camera jump to specific preset locations instead of letting you freely look.

Go to Controls Options, select your joystick profile, and then in the Camera section assign each direction of your hat switch to Cockpit/External View Look (you will have to remove the Quickviews assignments as well). It should look like this, and you will have the old FSX free look back:

TFHXHSO.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, cantremember said:

A couple of versions ago there was introduced a bug that the game ignores controller inputs while you are panning around with right-click.

Now a new bug has also emerged where if you use middle mouse button to pan, the view keeps jumping back, so you can't pan this way together with zoom anymore.

It sort of makes flying a PITA because looking and zooming the view around is something I've grown to do habitually in FS. Though I don't know what the "way of working" is. Maybe those bugs take so long to be fixed because no one else really has the same problem I do.

Actually my most preferred way to look around is FSX/Xplane where you can use the hat switch, but in FS2020 the hat switch makes the camera jump to specific preset locations instead of letting you freely look.

Not necessarily - try this is what I do --- 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Is there another way? 😲

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I use trackIR, hat switch to preset views and mouse.

Depending on what I am doing.

They all work great for me. 

Oh yes I also use an Xbox controller to run the "drone cam" I set that up to work like a drone controller DJI style. Works great as well.

• Like 1

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

36 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

Is there another way? 😲

Tobii is getting some msfs options to match trackir in the next update (or beta if your in it), head tracking without the headgear! 

• Like 1

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

A logitech trackball works great.  Has a switch for 2 devices and I connect with Bluetooth.

ns

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

5 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Absolutely, a 100 percent must have with MSFS.

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

The XBOX controller is the way to go, for a wide variety of reasons. Remember, the XBOX controller is a Microsoft product, as is MSFS. So they naturally work together very well.

• Like 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

6 minutes ago, David Mills said:

The XBOX controller is the way to go, for a wide variety of reasons. Remember, the XBOX controller is a Microsoft product, as is MSFS. So they naturally work together very well.

Why an extra controller when you can just turn your head?

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

28 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Why an extra controller when you can just turn your head?

I think we're talking about two different things. I believe the question was about panning around an aircraft in an external view. I don't use the XBOX controller as an extra controller, but rather as my primary controller, which also has built-in panning capability. 

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.