Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

Randazzo from PMDG gives hints on price of PMDG 737 for MSFS

The crux of the matter for me will still come down to no point in spending a large chunk of money, if the core sim itself remains incapable of saving and resuming a flight in progress with a complex aircraft.

Also not going to be much fun sitting there waiting 15 minutes for your flight to load (as happens now with the FBW 320) due to all the complex scripting taking forever to unravel. Obviously some of that's down to me running a fairly old computer, but until the current scalper prices for new hardware moderates a bit replacement, as I suspect form many users, not a viable option.

• Upvote 1

On 2/20/2022 at 3:19 PM, wiler said:

I think $50 base package  and then $15-20 per variant is totally fair.

4 hours ago, bigifooti said:

Is the -700 the base model? Or can you indepently also buy the -800 and -900?

Randazzo indicated a while ago there will be no "base" and "expansion" for this product. Each variant is sold separately at the same price, perhaps they will do some bundle deals? This makes the pricing structure compatible with the MS Store too.

Although cleverly they are releasing the less popular -700 variant first so all the die hard 737 fans will buy that even if they're only really interested in the -800, just to get on an NG asap.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

2 hours ago, Noel said:

Actually I recall reading that a while back in another thread and forgot.  What I mean to say was what I was thinking then:  the FIRST variant purchase will be $79, and subsequent variant purchases will be $39 to incentivize multiple variant purchases.

Ah I understand, well I think they wouldn't release them one by one if that was the plan. They release the -700 first (for like 40/50 dollars), so all those thirsty people buy it even though all they really want is the -800, and then they release the -800 for the same price and so on. I'm pretty sure a couple of weeks ago Randazzo laid out those plans pretty much as I just said (except for the exact price), but I'm too tired to look for that post. Your method is valid, too, but I just remember it differently.

3 hours ago, ckyliu said:

Although cleverly they are releasing the less popular -700 variant first so all the die hard 737 fans will buy that even if they're only really interested in the -800, just to get on an NG asap.

That might be clever business wise, but I sure hope that PMDG is not in the game of maximising profits.

Would they have done some research and come up with a different models and variants package distribution? Mayby the p3d BBJ and Freighter never sold that well. 

|  737-600  |  737-700  |  737-800  |  737-900  |  737BBJ  |  737-F

P3D         |         Expansion 25$  |       Base pack 99$     |  Exp30$  |  Exp30$

MSFS      |      ?        |   Base       |     Exp     |     ?           | part of each model pack    

@AVSIM Admin please implement a table function 😋

Edited by bigifooti

1 hour ago, Fiorentoni said:

Ah I understand, well I think they wouldn't release them one by one if that was the plan. They release the -700 first (for like 40/50 dollars), so all those thirsty people buy it even though all they really want is the -800, and then they release the -800 for the same price and so on. I'm pretty sure a couple of weeks ago Randazzo laid out those plans pretty much as I just said (except for the exact price), but I'm too tired to look for that post. Your method is valid, too, but I just remember it differently.

If selling the most number of copies is their goal I can see an advantage to the first sale being around $69, and subsequent variants as low as $29.   This approach could tempt me into owning 3 variants, whereas for the relative modest differences between variants no way I would pay for 2 or 3 variants at the full price, even at $50.  I'm sure they've thought it thru carefully looking at total estimated market and also prior buying habits.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

30 minutes ago, liamp51 said:

Nice

Yes, and the $69 would be for ANY initial variant, FWIW

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

2 hours ago, wim123 said:

it is not going to be 40/50 dollars.

i predict between 70 and 80.

I predict somewhere between $70 to $80 too (well, you learn in marketing that $69.99 is better than $70, and $79.99 is better than $80).

But the interesting thing is, if Randazzo determines that the most "hard core" 737 customers won't be satisfied with just one variant, and they are likely to buy more than one variant, it makes sense to price each 737 variant at $50.  The reason is, $50 would capture even more "casual" 737 customers.  And the "hard core" customers will probably purchase 2 or more variants.  In this way,  PMDG can get the money of the "hard core" customers when they purchase multiple variants at $50 for each variant, and PMDG can also get the money from the "casual" customers who only purchase a single variant at $50.

If PMDG had consulted a very smart business analyst, and that business analyst showed PMDG the that there is strong data that the "hard core" 737 customers are going to purchase multiple variants at $50, and that PMDG would have a huge sales boon at $50 to capture the "casual" customers, then I could potentially see PMDG lowering the 737 to $50 for MSFS (and at the same time, lower the DC6 price so that it's consistent with the lowered 737 price of course).

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

They said that each variant will be sold separately, and maybe at a later date, we will see a bundle.

Based on that, I will say 45$ max, if it's more than that, the whole fleet of 737 will cost more than on P3D

18 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

a very smart business analyst, 

Alas, no one has invented one of those yet.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elvensmith said:

The crux of the matter for me will still come down to no point in spending a large chunk of money, if the core sim itself remains incapable of saving and resuming a flight in progress with a complex aircraft.

This is a really good point that I don't think gets enough attention.

I try to do airliner flights in one go but in my FSX days I always relied on saving just in case the game crashed. Risky business so far with the FBW 320 but given PMDG's budget and sway I really hope they're trying to solve for panel state saves and such for those who worry about a CTD or just want to come back and resume later. This will be especially important for the T7 and 74 whenever those drop!

Best regards, happy flying,

Wallace

I'm thinking it will cost exactly what the DC-6 cost at launch with 20 dollar variants. That would put it line with the CRJ as well.  Might put downward pressure on Fenix as well.