Sign in to follow this  
MZwillus

Low FPS with P3Dv4.5 default after reinstall

Hello everyone,

I am seeking some advice as I am unable to fix this issue myself.

Some months ago before I relocated I destroyed my FS setup by installing the FSLABS Control Center and running an update on the FSL Library.

Ultimately I removed all add ons and did a complete reinstallation of P3D by following the guide on the P3D forum.

However, with a brand new installation of P3D I am getting no more than 8 fps with the default scenario.

Here's what I tried already after reviewing several forums with similar issues:
- run the P3D Repair Utility
- update the GPU Driver
- delete certain .cfg files and Shaders
- remove unused devices and drivers
- reinstall audio drivers
- unplug audio devices
- change the P3D graphic settings
- change some properties in the NVIDIA Control Center

I reviewed these threads:
[RESOLVED] P3D stuck at very low FPS. - Page 2 - Prepar3D Forums
Sudden Drop in Performance - P3Dv4.5 - The Prepar3d Forum - The AVSIM Community
Prepar3D v5.3 Bad Performance - Prepar3D Forums
Unstable P3D V5.2, Low FPS - Page 2 - Prepar3D Forums
Low CPU/GPU Use, Low FPS - Prepar3D Forums

None of these solutions had any positive effect.

I know my system is not the best, however before I messed up my sim I was able to use FSLABS and PDMG, ORBX and other addons with no issues. Now I'm stuck with 8 fps with no addons even installed.

NVIDIA GTX 970, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7600K, 16 GB RAM

Thanks for helping out!

Although you uninstalled via a guide, If I had to look into this problem I would start from scratch and do it this way.

Nvidia Control Panel
Manage 3D Settings page, Global Settings tab, Restore, Apply.
Manage 3D Settings page, Program Settings tab, Prepar3D.exe profile, Restore, Apply.

Windows Control Panel
Uninstall a program, remove Prepar3D Client but retain License.
Uninstall a program, remove Prepar3D.

Windows File Explorer
Rename your Prepar3D program files folder (default="C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4")
Rename "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4"
Rename "C:\Users\you\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4"
Rename "C:\Users\you\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4"
Rename "C:\Users\you\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons"

(replace "you" with your logon name)

Run Setup_Prepar3D.exe and install.

Before doing anything else, run Prepar3D from the Desktop Icon allow to start up into the scenario screen and go into the default flight. Close P3D.

The simulator should now be properly installed without picking up system anomalies and old settings and add-ons.

I would see how that performs before going further.

I hope that cures the problem.

Regards

Steve

Additionally, if you installed into default program files folder ("C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4"):
Windows File Explorer
Right-click the folder "C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\" and choose Properties
Security tab, just below the top list press "Edit", brings up the Permissions list window
Permissions list window, in the top list box choose "Users" (MyPC\Users)
Permissions list window, in the bottom list box check "Modify Allow" Apply, OK

(This "Modify Allow" permission for the "Users" group allows addons installed into Prepar3D folder to run as User, and also allows editing panels and cfg files without requiring Run as Admin - not requiring Run as Admin is more secure).
Without setting User permission (that is, authenticated users of the PC) to allow modify, certain add-ons installed into the Program Files folder will need permission to write out settings and panel states, usually given by Running the sim as Admin (overkill).

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Hi Steve,

thank you for assisting me with this issue and your patience.

I did all these steps before by following the guide, however I did it once again, just to double check.

Still, the FPS in default scenario with lowest settings are at 8-10.

Permissions aren't the problem here, because I installed P3D in the root directory. (C:\P3D)

Regards
Malte

• Like 1

Hi Malte,

Seems like your P3D installation isn't the problem. You tried everything in the links and none were helpful. You say you messed up P3D by installing the FSLABS software, so I would say this would not be playing any part in the problem if the stock install was carried out as I recommended. So I would look outside P3D, I wonder if you have installed any other software that affects frame rates like RivaTuner for example, maybe around the time you installed the FSLABS?

A few things to look at: When the sim is running can you check in Task Manager Processes for anything running that is using a lot of resources. Try installing the Nvidia driver alone without GeForce Experience. Check for windows updates and install.

28 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Hi Malte,

Seems like your P3D installation isn't the problem. You tried everything in the links and none were helpful. You say you messed up P3D by installing the FSLABS software, so I would say this would not be playing any part in the problem if the stock install was carried out as I recommended. So I would look outside P3D, I wonder if you have installed any other software that affects frame rates like RivaTuner for example, maybe around the time you installed the FSLABS?

I was using FSLABS even before, but they have launched a Control Center (much like the PMDG operations center) which you can use to update the software and libraries. I installed the control center and updated one of the components, which resulted in P3D not being able to start. Other than that I installed some business software, and Windows Updates. I updated the GPU driver two days ago, but the FPS issue has been there before.

9 minutes ago, SteveW said:

A few things to look at: When the sim is running can you check in Task Manager Processes for anything running that is using a lot of resources. Try installing the Nvidia driver alone without GeForce Experience. Check for windows updates and install.

There are no other processes that are allocating many resources. However I noticed that GPU and CPU Percentages aren't very high. The GPU in fact seems to be idling. You may have a look at the Task Manager here: https://imgur.com/yzHtdI3

I'll delete Geforce Experience and reinstall the driver solely tonight, and will let you know about the result.

Can you check the integrated graphics is disabled in the motherboard setup.

RESOLVED

Hi Steve,

- confirmed that the integrated GPU is not used
- removed an old installation of CITRIX Software, as it was listed as GPU in the device manager
- removed Geforce Experience WITHOUT reinstalling the driver for the GPU
- removed SimConnect which was still installed on the computer
- removed some old liveries for FSL that I installed as executables.

Unfortunately I wasn't so smart and didn't check in the process of doing these items, which one had a positive effect, but the issue is now gone.

I have way more than 90 FPS now with the default scenario so the issue is resolved.

The GPU is allocated at 70 % and CPU around 30 % in idle.

Thanks for your help!

• Like 1

Well done, good job! Not certain but I expect it was the CITRIX software. I'm glad you got it working properly again.