Sign in to follow this  
IFR7700

FSX Ain't Dead Yet, and Neither am I !!

i guess this is the best way to contact StevesDX10 Fixer, and as such, I'm also going to give a few extra comments.  

First, for Steve: Flight Sim Customer, purchase date 20Sep2013. email:  redacted $33.91 USD, I need an upgrade link from build 3.2.3

I was one of the "lucky" customers who bought your product through The Flight Sim Store (purchase date: 20Sep2013)   It must have been a birthday present for myself. Anyhow, I remember spending a lot of time reading, tweaking and learning about a subject I knew nothing. (Still don't) But I eventually got it right, and oh Lord, what a difference.  I continued to enjoy FSX for a few years, but eventually, personal medical circumstances kept me away, and I removed everything FSX from my computer.  Fortunately, when I began my FSX journey I kept a database with every single purchase I ever made for FSX. and kept the original files in a separate data drive.  A word to the wise, youngsters.

Fast forward a few (6) years and I have decided to get back into Flight Sim.  Unfortunately, I don't have the available disposable income, as before. I am officially retired.  One of the very first personal decisions I made is that I will not spend one single dime on getting my beloved FSX back to its former glory.  Having made 338 former purchases for FSX, I am willing to make this one exception.

My current version of "The Fixer" is 3.2.3.  Another objective in getting my FSX back to snuff is re-downloading the latest version of the original software.  After perusing your blog (a great source of technical information, BTW) I realized that to get the latest version I would have to contact you for an upgrade license.  I couldn't figure out a way to contact you through the blog. (I concede I'm old and can't see well, and can't ... blah, blah, blah).  But AVSIM has always been my "home" forum and luckily, here you are!!  Apparently, your current build is 5.4, but in order to update that, you must have build 3.4.  And you can't upgrade if you purchased through the aforementioned Flight Sim Store.  (Don't feel bad folks, I bought a LOT of stuff through The Flight Sim Store, and each re-load will be a challenge.)  Someday, when I have a little spare time (hahaha) I am going to learn what happened with The Flight Sim Store.

Since your amazing program was probably the single most impressive purchase for my FSX (with the possible tying exceptions of ORBX Global and PMDG), I am willing to do whatever it takes to have the latest version of the "Fixer". I'm willing to buy "Clouds" but only if there's a way forward to upgrade the "Fixer". Let me know what you can do for me, as I'm stuck.

Additional "Old Man" Rants:

First, what the heck happened to the visuals on Windows 10?  There's no contrast to the words I'm typing.  Causes severe eye strain and headaches.  But the spelling and grammar correction utility is cool. (I've been using commas wrong for 50 years!)  I know there's a "fix", but that interferes with the ability to see other things, like the PMDG Ops Center 2.0.  Does Microsoft create problems purposely to wield their immense power?

For Developers and other Authorities within our hobby:  We are all going to get older.  Eventually, physically, financially, etc. we might be stuck with the sim we have, unable to "upgrade" to the latest and best iteration of this wonderful hobby.  It's not a game to many of us, it's a legitimate simulation of a real world in which most of us wish we could live.  Ironically, it's us old people that have the time to really dive into this hobby.  Youth truly is wasted on the young.  Please continue to make your software forever obtainable for your former customers, so that when that day comes, and we're no longer able to keep up, we can still enjoy the hobby we bought, even if our computer is completely consumed in a house fire.  The verification and security protocols you have put into place to protect you from software pirates, can also be used to verify former customers.  MOST, developers have done a great job at this. (Even Flight1 lol).  If you decide to go out of business and refuse to offer support for the software we purchased, then you should offer the software for free, with the latest updates.  Some people were raised right, and have done exactly that. (I'm talking about YOU, Real Air Simulations).  All in all, my re-integration has been very successful.  I only use about a third of the software that I have purchased.  Most of the rest of it is junk. Even without the upgrade from "The Fixer", my sim looks as good as it ever has, and I'm flying SIDS, STARS, Hi and Low level routes, approaches, IFR, VFR, like I know what I'm doing.

Long Enough ... thanks for your consideration

Dennis Trawick, IFR7700, redacted Former AVSIM Screen Shots Forum Big Boss, Real-world pilot in the late '70s and '80s, with a new great grandchild on the way. (That's what did it, now I really feel old)

Edited by SteveFx
Remove email addresses
  • Like 1

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

I just recently upgraded to Steam Edition.  It'll be 10 years before I go MSFS. Sick of paying more and more money on my existing stuff to make it compatible.

The only issue was REX Sky Force, had to abandon that, the original REX textures work fine, just can't get my lakes to be blue from muddy, but the weather engine is too much for my little ol' overclocked i5. Impressed with Orbx & GSX updates still supported unconditionally.World Airports HD was a good buy as well. Change up the same boring airports scenery.

Same for Air Hauler, Pete Dawson (thank god I've never had to ask a question, yikes!) both free updates.

The trick is to avoid all pictures and videos of anything new, once you do that, you're doomed.

And Steve too, free upgrades for going on what? 12 years now?