Sign in to follow this  
Bozdog

Quest 2 settings. Shimmering and a HUGE Thank You to..

I have one question at the end about scenery shimmering , but first I would like to say a HUGE thank you to the members who commented on my last Post.

dogmanbird - Great help trying the options 

Kugut -   "Oculus Debug Tool -> Service -> Toggle console window visibility   "Brilliant Thank You, this made a huge difference 

Slashed2 I have set FOV to 70-70  Works a treat

Also on utube Tactical Pascale - found a video of his  about DCS , helped with MSFS and really informative

To help any other Quest 2 users  this is what I have changed /done

IN oculus App  Refresh Rate 120, Rendering Resolution 3648 x 1856 , 1.3 x

Oculus Tray Tool

Default Super Sampling 1.3

Default ASW - Off

Mirror FOV 0.7 / 0.7

Quest link 

Encode 3648

Bitrate 300

The  difference in smoothness  has been SPECTACULR, and also no flashes, can fly for a long period without making my eyes go funny motion sickness from jerkiness. 

I REALLY CANNOT THANK YOU ALL ENOUGH, gone from fed up possibly wasted my money  to WOW this is great.

Now I can just have fun buzzing around, not yet set up my yoke etc I am probably going to upset the purists but  just using a xbox controller for the time being , and the mouse, but hey it works great in VR

NOW THE QUESTION.

Scenery at  distance does  shimmer a little.  However if that's the sacrifice so be it,  however is there a setting in particular that influences this? That I could gradually change to improve it?

As always very grateful for any advise.

Cheers all

3080rtx  on a i7 12700k with 32 Gig ddr5. 2gig Ssd

Quest 2

Windows 11

So I haven't tired any of what you said above, but I get huge microstutters using the Occulus API (Steam api is MUCH smoother but 50% less performance).

Did you experience the above before these settings? If so, i'll download the occlus tray tool and give it a go. 

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

On 2/24/2022 at 10:50 PM, aceridgey said:

So I haven't tired any of what you said above, but I get huge microstutters using the Occulus API (Steam api is MUCH smoother but 50% less performance).

Did you experience the above before these settings? If so, i'll download the occlus tray tool and give it a go. 

Yes it was really really poor stuttering out the side,  now its great, 

I have not tried it in Steam as i bought from the Microsoft store

I think this below seems to make a big difference,  don't ask me why ! its all a bit technical for me

"Oculus Debug Tool -> Service -> Toggle console window visibility    ( leaving it unminimized and running with monito left switched on)

and in the tray tool

Default ASW - Off

Mirror FOV 0.7 / 0.7

I went from what a waste of money, to this is the best thing ever   😀

Quest 2

Windows 11

Agree...I use these pretty much as you.  The Quest 2 has been the biggest game changer for me since flight simulator itself!

What helped me see dials/displays is the click the sharpening box in OTT that can out in an update near end the end of 2021.  That really helps clarity some.

• Like 1

Simon

What's people's opinion on the refresh rate of the headset? 120hz uses a lot more resources than 70hz for example. I see Bozdog going for both 120 and 1.3 resolution.... 

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

I seem to get better visuals  but may be my imagination.  I have got it all pretty smooth now,  except now and again it goes stuttery, if i restart msfs seems to sort.  Not sure if there is supposed to be a certain order

ie

start occuls,  CONNECT  link cable, start msfs  or if  should do it the other way around?

I saw some one say you should have vsynch set to 60 fps or more, but not sure what you set that in?  I am not very techi on VR.  Any suggestions where I set this?  Nvidia  setting somewhere or somewhere in config?

Edited by Bozdog

Quest 2

Windows 11

"Quest link 

Encode 3648

Bitrate 300"

Is this set under Oculus Debug Tool? If so, can you be more specific about what encode and bitrate mean... I see Encode Dynamic Bitrate, Dynamic Bitrate Max, Encode Bitrate (Mbps), and Dynamic Bitrate Offset.... which ones are you referring to? Thanks so much!

15 hours ago, shishka32 said:

"Quest link 

Encode 3648

Bitrate 300"

Is this set under Oculus Debug Tool? If so, can you be more specific about what encode and bitrate mean... I see Encode Dynamic Bitrate, Dynamic Bitrate Max, Encode Bitrate (Mbps), and Dynamic Bitrate Offset.... which ones are you referring to? Thanks so much!

This sis in the Oculus tray tool,  sub category Quest link

no idea what it means!  does not have any sub categories

chers

• Like 1

Quest 2

Windows 11

7 hours ago, Bozdog said:

This sis in the Oculus tray tool,  sub category Quest link

no idea what it means!  does not have any sub categories

chers

Thanks!

For anyone struggling with  lack of smoothness, I have found the easiest way to smooth it out is to reduce the resolution in the oculus app.  1.3 times  3648 x 1856 or 3712 x 1872    seems a good compromise to me

Changing to 1.0 x  is SILKY smooth but the quality does suffer.   1.4 times does start to suffer a little jerky and 1.7   ugh !

Just my  experiences and hours now of trying settings.  Hope it helps anyone out there

Quest 2

Windows 11

I have tried enabling ASW in this, but it does not seem to do anything.  When I enable the overlay, it shows frames presented and frames failed, with the latter being slightly bigger.  Anyone any ideas on this?  This is my first time experimenting with the Quest 2 as I normally use an Odyssey+.  I am not using the Steam version of MSFS.

25 minutes ago, Grindathotte said:

I have tried enabling ASW in this, but it does not seem to do anything.  When I enable the overlay, it shows frames presented and frames failed, with the latter being slightly bigger.  Anyone any ideas on this?  This is my first time experimenting with the Quest 2 as I normally use an Odyssey+.  I am not using the Steam version of MSFS.

HI today I  have a day off and the other half is out at work so I thought I would spend the morning  trying different settings.

I have  done a few posts on this,  Summary of them all is below.  Been using it about 2 weeks and now got to  quite a good compromise between graphics/ smoothness

I use 3 test runs,   Bowerman ( lots of Trees)  New York (lots of buildings) and  Birmingham (uk) mixture of both.  Using default F18.  I was still struggling with jerkiness when looking out the side  in New York at between 500-1500 feet going anything between 250-450 knots.

I found a post saying 120Hz  has not benefit to msfs, so experimented with 80Hz.  I Now have  New York Smooth as well ! 

I think( but cant say 100% sure) that the in cockpit readouts may not be quite as good, but that could be my imagination.  I am not the best judge of that as wear glasses (varifocals) using my headset.

Changing to 80Hz  1x   3456 x 1744    I also upped Anisotrophic Filtering 16x   and Texture s/s is at 6x6   and Texture resolution changed  from  High  to Ultra and it still stayed smooth.!

Graphics are good ( i think I was expecting too much from the visuals, especially in the distance , but guess never going to get near  2D clarity!)

I have no idea all the technical stuff behind al these settings,  when i first started many years ago all ever had was low, medium or high  and a mountain was a triangle drawn with 3 lines !

If any one can offer advise on what I could up with little impact   would appreciate it  I run the debug tool ( console visibility) , tray tool  and use a USB C link cable  when i test that i get 2.4 Gbps

Current setting below

Running

i7 12700KF

32 GB DDR5

2TB SSD Drive - Samsung Pro

MSI 3080RTX  Ventus Plus 3x

Process OF launching

Run Oculus App

Run Oculus tray tool

Run Debug tool.  Toggle console windows visibility 

Connect Link Cable

Turn on Headset

No to allow data

Then Launch MSFS via the Xbox App ( ms Store version)

Oculus Tray Tool

Default ASW - Off

Mirror FOV 0.7 / 0.7

Quest link  (menu on oculus tray tool)

Encode 3648

Bitrate 300

Render scaling 100

Global Rendering - Custom

AA - TAA

Terrain LOD 100

Off Screen pre Cashing - Ultra

Terrain Vector - Ultra

Buildings/Trees/Grass & Buses  - Medium

Object LOD  100

VOl CLouds  High

Texture |Resolution - Ultra

Anistropic Filtering   16 x

Texture s/s   6 x 6

Texture Synthesis   High

Water Waves - High

Shadow Maps  1024

Terrain Shadows   512

Contact Shadows  High

Windshield Effects High

Ambient occ  off

Cubemap Reflextions  256

Raymarched Reflections - High

Light Shafts Off

Bloom - on

Glass Cockpit refresh - High

I am sure someone can advise better than me, this seems to work for me , finally getting to do some flying

Quest 2

Windows 11