Sign in to follow this  
BWBriscoe

Stutters in 5.3 HF2

I've never really had a problem with stutters in previous versions, but in 5.3 HF2 they are becoming more noticeable.

I can take off, get into cruise (PMDG 777) and then 30 minutes into flight I get stutters for around 20 to 30 seconds. Goes away and then comes back again half an hour to an hour later. My frame rates are good it's just these stutters.

Is there any fix for this?

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz  
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

@BWBriscoe, do you have ORBX Vector? If so, disable it and see if that fixes the problem.

Also, post your JobScheduler section from Prepar3D.cfg and advise your CPU and whether you have Hyperthreading enabled.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

13 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@BWBriscoe, do you have ORBX Vector? If so, disable it and see if that fixes the problem.

Also, post your JobScheduler section from Prepar3D.cfg and advise your CPU and whether you have Hyperthreading enabled.

Thanks Ray. I do have ORBX Vector...won't disabling make the sim really ugly?! ha

Here's the JobScheduler section from the CFG:

[JobScheduler]
AffinityMask=65535
P3DCoreAffinityMask=65535
MainThreadScheduler=0
RenderThreadScheduler=2
FrameWorkerThreadScheduler=4

CPU wise I have Intel i9-9900K @ 3.6GHz

How do I find out if I have hyperthreading enabled?

Thanks for your help.

Ben

64.0 GB RAM

@BWBriscoe, Ben, an AM of 65535 converts to binary as 1111111111111111

That tells me you have an 8:core CPU with Hyperthreading enabled. The JS section looks fine.

Vector isn’t really required for P3Dv5.3 as LM changed the ground scenery. It’s incompatible hence the massive stutters. I don’t think you’ll miss it.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

36 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

That tells me you have an 8:core CPU with Hyperthreading enabled. The JS section looks fine.

Vector isn’t really required for P3Dv5.3 as LM changed the ground scenery. It’s incompatible hence the massive stutters. I don’t think you’ll miss it.

Great thanks, I'll disable it and hopefully it will help!

Your interpretation of code is very impressive...I have no idea!

64.0 GB RAM

47 minutes ago, BWBriscoe said:

Your interpretation of code is very impressive...I have no idea!

Open the Windows calculator and select Programmer mode. Then select the DECimal option and enter 65535. Then select the BINary option.

You'll see 1111111111111111. 16 digits - one for each virtual processor - confirms it’s an 8 core CPU and that translates to 16 virtual processors all turned on. That’s only possible with Hyperthreading enabled in the BIOS.

In binary 0=off and 1=on. No other numbers are used.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

REALLY...?  I didn't know that!  I always thought VECTOR was really important for the scenery.

5 hours ago, spilok said:

I always thought VECTOR was really important for the scenery.

Hi.

Not any more. LM did enhance vector data to the latest possible and also updated their terrain textures to higher level quality (Pixelwise). The Autogen, Terrain and Trees are now complete PBR as well (ORBX aren´t).

I have seen ORBX requests to ask LM to make sure backwards compatebilty is needed, which indicates they are not planning to add PBR, allthough I and others are requesting this. We will have to wait and see.

But that´s another topic.

I am actually playing with the thoughts to uninstall ORBX Base and LC and get back to "default" P3D textures, leave TE in,  and try this for a couple of weeks. Road lights are added in P3D as well, so this shouldn´t be a showstopper anymore.

What I do not know is, if uninstalling ORBX LC and ORBX Base is causing trouble on some of their Airports. Is anyone having experiences with this? Because ORBX often writes, ORBX base is needed to make the "airport scenery XYZ" work.

Regards

Marcus

Edited by mpo910

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

Hi everyone,

If I want to stop using ORBX VECTOR, what steps do I need to take ...?
I use P3Dv5.3Hf2. Does ORBX VECTOR need to "restore" something after P3D ...?
I'm sorry, but I don't have the experience or experience to do that ...

Thanks for all the help!
Best regards,
Peter

@fpeter, I don’t own VECTOR but it’s probably controlled via the ORBX Control software. You should have a shortcut to it on your desktop.

There should be an option to uninstall it. Try that. I would imagine it will also remove the relevant entries from scenery.cfg.

Of course if you decide you want it back then it’s a simple job via the Orbx Control software.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

6 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@fpeter, I don’t own VECTOR but it’s probably controlled via the ORBX Control software. You should have a shortcut to it on your desktop.

There should be an option to uninstall it. Try that. I would imagine it will also remove the relevant entries from scenery.cfg.

Of course if you decide you want it back then it’s a simple job via the Orbx Control software.

I uninstalled Vector last night after reading Ray's response to a thread.  I flew a short flight of about 300 miles and back again to my home airport and everything looked normal and I had no stutters at all.  I will do some longer flights today, change aircraft, and continue flying without Vector to evaluate.  Looks like it may be the thing to do.

Stan

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My experiment is concluded!  Had a great day flying WITHOUT VECTOR today.  I removed it yesterday after reading that suggestion in this thread. My 1st flight was from Gdansk, Poland, to Hamburg, Germany.  Used an Embraer 135 and the flight went very well.  It was super smooth and absolutely no signs of stutter.  In Hamburg, I started an Airbus 321 Lufthansa and headed for Madrid, Spain.  After a flight of over 1350 additional miles (without restarting my computer or changing ANY parameters in my graphic options), my flight went spectacularly.  Again, I switched views frequently, which usually sets off pauses and stutters during a long flight, and I landed at LEMD without a single pause or stutter along the way that I could notice.

My settings are all to the right in P3d and I am using EA + Active Sky.  Take it for what it's worth, but I am a true believer in the fact that ORBX VECTOR, if you have it, absolutely contributes to stutters and pauses in P3d v5.3 (plus hotfixes).  I only wish I had believed this about Vector when I first heard about it.  So, I'll thank Ray Proudfoot for emphasizing the fact that Vector is not necessary in this thread.  I do believe it has made my flying in P3d something so much better than it was just a short 2 days ago.  

Wow.  What a difference.  Thanks.

Stan

• Like 1

@spilok, Stan, don’t thank me. I just picked up something a user of Vector found.

Glad you’ve had better flights after uninstalling it. 👍

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

16 hours ago, mpo910 said:

Hi.

Not any more. LM did enhance vector data to the latest possible and also updated their terrain textures to higher level quality (Pixelwise). The Autogen, Terrain and Trees are now complete PBR as well (ORBX aren´t).

I have seen ORBX requests to ask LM to make sure backwards compatebilty is needed, which indicates they are not planning to add PBR, allthough I and others are requesting this. We will have to wait and see.

But that´s another topic.

I am actually playing with the thoughts to uninstall ORBX Base and LC and get back to "default" P3D textures, leave TE in,  and try this for a couple of weeks. Road lights are added in P3D as well, so this shouldn´t be a showstopper anymore.

What I do not know is, if uninstalling ORBX LC and ORBX Base is causing trouble on some of their Airports. Is anyone having experiences with this? Because ORBX often writes, ORBX base is needed to make the "airport scenery XYZ" work.

Regards

Marcus

This is all you need for night lights. Works much better than Orbx. Living Airports 3D Lights. Google it. 

Eric