Sign in to follow this  
Bilbosmeggins

Air feels livelier after SU8

Had a nice flight near Cape Town, South Africa earlier, and was pleased to note that lumpy air seems to be a lot more evident than it was. I was really getting kicked around at one point, and it felt great. I’m hoping, and assuming, that SU8 has tweaked the weather and air dynamics. Either that or I got lucky, as pre-SU8 the turbulence was so benign as to be almost negligible.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

Turbulence and gusts do certainly seem improved (may potentially tie to the fix where gust intensity was reversed)...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

In today’s Q&A it was said that gusts only exists in presets. In Live weather there is nothing received from MeteoBlue that Asobo can use. They have a randomized gust generator that they are tweaking. But they also said that with Northern hemisphere getting closer to summer the ground is getting warmer and therefore generate more updrafts. That could be what you are feeling. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

// 5800X3D // RTX 3090 // 64GB RAM // HP REVERB G2 //

1 hour ago, espent said:

In today’s Q&A it was said that gusts only exists in presets. In Live weather there is nothing received from MeteoBlue that Asobo can use. They have a randomized gust generator that they are tweaking. But they also said that with Northern hemisphere getting closer to summer the ground is getting warmer and therefore generate more updrafts. That could be what you are feeling. 

Ah, that’s interesting. I only ever fly Live Weather, so maybe the random gust generator is doing a bit more of a robust job than before. My example flight was actually in the Southern Hemisphere, but I do get your point. Although I didn’t realise that they modelled thermic activity, so that’s a welcome surprise. I tend to fly ultralights a lot, so these effects really matter to me.  All in all though, a definite step up from my previous experiences. 

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

4 hours ago, espent said:

In today’s Q&A it was said that gusts only exists in presets. In Live weather there is nothing received from MeteoBlue that Asobo can use. 

I couldn't quite understand this response from the team.

Current metar: 

KOMA  030052Z 05017G28KT 10SM SCT120 BKN250 14/04 A3007 RMK AO2 PK WND 05028/0044 SLP187 T01390039

Current TAF:  

KOMA  021957Z 0220/0318 35011G20KT P6SM FEW250 FM030000 04011G19KT P6SM SCT250

Both current and predictive data that I'm sure MeteoBlue can provide.  Otherwise, find a better data provider.

Edited by irocx
  • Like 1

Regards, Kendall

I wonder as like the original poster i have the feeling that the fbw320 now is more fluid in the air, especially on short final…..

Carsten U

Haven't noticed much of that.  But the SU8 did screw up some of my key bindings, very annoying, had to go back and fix them.  

5 hours ago, irocx said:

I couldn't quite understand this response from the team.

Current metar: 

KOMA  030052Z 05017G28KT 10SM SCT120 BKN250 14/04 A3007 RMK AO2 PK WND 05028/0044 SLP187 T01390039

Current TAF:  

KOMA  021957Z 0220/0318 35011G20KT P6SM FEW250 FM030000 04011G19KT P6SM SCT250

Both current and predictive data that I'm sure MeteoBlue can provide.  Otherwise, find a better data provider.

They said exactly that.  There will be more weather providers in the future. 

Metars covers a very tiny area of the globe though. I guess Jorg was referring to areas not covered by metars. 

Edited by espent
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, espent said:

So what is it now? Either gusts only exist in presets, or they exist in live weather, though randomized…?

20 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

So what is it now? Either gusts only exist in presets, or they exist in live weather, though randomized…?

There are gusts that you set yourself in Presets or there are randomized gusts in Live weather. There are no "real" gusts.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, espent said:

In Live weather there is nothing received from MeteoBlue that Asobo can use.

MeteoBlue surely does provide CAT (clear air turbulence): Wetterkarten | Live-Satelliten- und Wetterradar - meteoblue.

On the right of the map, you can easily see the large number of aviation related parameter, MeteoBlue is providing. But maybe MS has not subscribed for all of the these?

Rather impressive that they had to confess the absence of gusts in live weather once again for a sim that claims to have the best weather implementation so far and the stubborn attitude to keep the weather system closed for 3rd party...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

14 hours ago, AnkH said:

Rather impressive that they had to confess the absence of gusts in live weather once again for a sim that claims to have the best weather implementation so far and the stubborn attitude to keep the weather system closed for 3rd party...

What's even more impressive is that they're trying to claim the data isn't available to them.  I enjoy the Dev Q/A's, but I do wish they had a better system for follow up questions because in light of the wx issues, this really deserved further elaboration.

Regards, Kendall

Cloud edges look better for me, also. They were pixelated before but not anymore. Overall, the performance seems to be better as well. Only negative thing I can see is the pop corn clouds that are there when it's supposed to be clear. Not the biggest issue, but does look kinda silly. 

Looking again at what FBW team would like to get a nice weather radar, after looking at Meteoblue, there are a lot of data, but I did not see hail and lightning, is it possible to get them using already available data like temperature gradient, humidity, convective air, air particules, etc...?