Sign in to follow this  
hangar

What is best VR headset for a 72 IPD?

My IPD is 72 and since the Quest 2 and G2 only support an IPD of 68 and below, I would like to ask those with high IPD eyes what they think is the best choice for a new headset that can still be purchased today?

My IPD is 73 (I was quite shocked) and unfortunately very limited choices available. At that time I had to settle for a Quest 1 (72mm max, I’m 1mm off) although I wanted the Quest 2 as it came out a few days before.

For you, you *may* be able to get away with a 70 IPD max headset like the valve index or vive pro 2, however you should do a search on on Reddit for experiences being 2mm off. (I heard 2mm is the max tolerable limit for  not having the exact ipd)

Unfortunately the only other option is the Varjo Aero that fully supports our IPD, however we probably have to sell our eyes to afford it.

Edited by johnnycaptain

Jonathon James

I'm close to 70, and the reverb g2 at its max of 68 is just tolerable for me. If I poke my finger through the nose hole to put pressure on the lenses, widening them further, they become more comfortable. My Quest 1 felt good at 70.

I believe Pico Neo 3 has 72 maximum. It has quite good reviews and has dropped in price. Overall it sounds like a moderately better version of a Quest 2 and has direct display port tethered support (instead of compressed video over USB like Q1 and 2).

Thanks guys, never heard of the Pico so I'll have to check that one out. The Aero I'm acquainted with already but spending close to $3,000 for their headset with two 3rd party base stations & controllers is not what I'm feeling ready for. This would be my first headset. The one I'm using now is a loaner (original 1st generation Rift sent to me by a friend).

I was all ready to go with either the Q2 or G2 until I realized how far off the IPD would be for my eyes.

I think there's alot of people who don't realize how important this setting can be as far as their eye health, comfort and clarity of graphics.

**EDIT: Well after doing a bit of research on the Pico Neo I've decided it's probably not worth considering, for me. The IPD is not 72, but only 68-69 max just as it is on the Q2 (which makes sense since it uses the same internal switch adjustment with only 3 possible positions). Besides, I don't think anyone is selling it here in the States so it's not widely available or supported. For me this is a pass.

Edited by hangar

Sorry Hangar, I was mistaken on it's IPD. I got 72 from a review but just went through the manual which states as you say.

Could a used Rift-S work for you till more of the new-gen ones release this year?

I don't remember there being a dramatic difference in image quality between it and the Quest 2, but I remember it had less screen door than the quest 1

Edited by dogmanbird

@dogmanbird I'm not aware of any new headsets releasing this year...Except for possibly Apple (which I'm doubtful will be for the pc/simulator enthusiast crowd). Quest 3 is maybe 2023 but there's nothing to indicate it's worth waiting for as far as it's IPD range changing. Is there another headset that you know of that is releasing this year? 

Have you looked into Pimax range of headsets? 8k+ went to 75 I think, while 8k x  and  5k Super go to 72 (so I've read)

I've probably seen what you've read about up coming releases, and nothing concrete at this stage except maybe Pimax 12k in Q4 2022 (stated by Pimax)

I have the a 72ipd and was using the G2 and was having issues with eye strain. i upgraded to the pimax 8k and it fixed the issue.

I considered the Pimax but thought it would be just too big and cumbersome to have to deal with since I use a headset for alot of standing type games, and even fitness.

I actually found nothing in my IPD that turned me on, so I went with a cheap Quest 2 as my first headset so I can learn, then I figured after a year or 2 when something new comes out that actually supports my IPD I would buy it at that time. Turns out that the Quest 2 is so much clearer than the loaner Rift I previously had, that even though it's the wrong IPD for me it's still much cleared than a Rift at 71 IPD, lol.

I may end up with an Aero eventually, if they ever offer a package with included tracking cams and controllers.

Edited by hangar