Sign in to follow this  
Muklum

Is Anyone NOT getting blurries with SP-1?

Guest Len

>If this thread is short, or non-existent, we'll probably know>the answer many suspect. Seriously, with SP-1, if your>textures are loading promptly without blurriness... please let>us know your rig specs and/or what you have done to improve or>elliminate the problem. >>I have to go work; I hope there is some good news when I get>back.>>Thanks, SteveBlurries here. Am trying numerous ways to rid them but nothing yet.

>Why are you so derogatory towards people?>>We're just trying to resolve a problem with blurries and you>continue to provide just negative confrontational statements>-- does this help you? or anyone?>>Whether it is 400 or 4 people (BTW, I've counted 12 on this>forum so far and numerous posts on other web sites) there>appears to be a problem to which we're trying to find a>solution. Not everyone appears to be having as drastic a>problem, so that indicates a hardware/software configuration>issue OR some people are just a lot more tolerant of what is>defined as blurries.>>But either way, if you wanna help then help, but two out of>two posts I've read from you are definitely NOT helpful.>>Robin.>>Yes I agree. I have personally read 3 or 4 harsh sounding personal attack comments from Bill in the past week, not to mention all of the comments in the past. I think it may be past due for an Alcott style timeout for him as well. ________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

Guest n99wb

"We're just trying to resolve a problem with blurries"There aren't threads for that? Maybe OT posts cause the blurries."Whether it is 400 or 4 people (BTW, I've counted 12 on this forum so far and numerous posts on other web sites)"Since the blurry folk hijacked this simple thread, I guess we won't knowhow many people do NOT have the blurries.By the way, I don't.

Guest Robin R.

Steve,That was a good suggestion. I had it set to Clamp, changed it to Allow, but unfortunately that did not resolve the problem.On 20+ hours of testing now and have come up with the best I can do[TERRAIN]SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=3 ; Lower values work better for my case[JOBSCHEDULER]AffinityMask=3Resolution changes made no difference (1024 x 768 to 1920 x 1200) to blurries only minor decreases in fps (which indicates the CPU, Memory, MB chipset is the bottleneck not the video card).Most of the FSX graphics settings changes made from FSX interface made little or no difference with the exception of Filtering (set to Anisotropic) AA not checked.nVidia Control panel settings did make a differenceAA = 4X (anything above increase blurries and didn't help image quality, strange but true)AF = 16XAA Override = trueAA Transparency = OffTexture Filter = High QualityLOD Bias = AllowThread Optimization = ONTriple buffering = OnVSYNC = Force OnI still get blurries, but not as bad as I used to when I started this Adventure. Blurries seem to be very altitude and geographic dependant -- mountains around Las Vegas are still blurry, but mountains/hills around SF/Bay Area are good.DiskKeeper Pro has certainly helped reduced load times and as time progresses it should keep it that way with iFAST enabled.That's about as much time as I want to put into FSX SP1. I hope Aces team rethink their approach to texture swapping in FSX when they start coding FSX DX10 version due out next year. At least provide a solution that higher RAM 64bit machines can leverage. As it stands right now, I find the swapping VERY distracting and VERY unrealistic.Robin.

Yes Tom, it is the FSX DC-3.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Guest fundies

No wonder so many people are ditching computer gaming and going to PS3, xbox360 etc. I like to have a small tinker around, but this is getting ridiculous. If only FSX was available on a gaming console.

Guest Robin R.

Since the same company and group of developers would be coding this for XBOX360, why do you think it would somehow change or be different? And the XBOX360 can't do true 1080 HD resolution it can only do 720p which gets up converted to 1080. Don't know about you, but it has been a LONG LONG LONG time since I used any game at 1280 x 720 (at least 7 years).But I do agree, many folks can't handle a the buttons on their remote for their home entertainment system so it's unlikely they'll be able to handle a PC -- but this is the very same reason why FSX for the XBOX360 would be a very bad idea -- just no market for it.What you might see is some paired down flyer, but before Microsoft can produce that, they would need to dump the texture swapping approach because that just will NOT fly with the XBOX crowd -- they are a considerably more demanding bunch than PC crowd.Robin.

Guest smilinpete

I had the worst possible blurries - terrain looked like barf on a pool table, the roads were a faint amorphous grey. FSX looked like an Intellevision game. I tried all the FSX tweaks suggested on the forum and none made ANY difference. I now have NO blurred textures. FSX now looks better than FS9 on my machine.The change was instant and total when I modified my AGP aperture size from 128mb to 256mb in my computer's bios. Whether 256mb is a minimum setting for FSX or two times your video cards memory does the trick or whether this only works for Radeon 9800 128mb video cards I don't know, but this simple change has eliminated (not reduced) the blurries for me and others.Now, Smilinpete

Hey Gary, I believe the bloggers posted about this, with the sp1 tweaks, here's what was said pertaining to your issue (I hope)"There is additional code to reduce blurries. If you get random texture tiles that appear in a solid color this may help. In some cases, the textures generated from this code can get throttled and will be timed out. The time out config value is[TERRAIN]SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=The default is 30 frames."

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I agree that everyone gets them, especially when switching to an AI craft, then switching back to the user plane. I got that pre and post SP1, it's the nature of the beast. The difference is that on my machine the textures come back fast, within 2 to 5 seconds which is about 20 seconds faster than pre-sp1.That's not a problem! That has been into the design of FS ever since AI was first introduced! Once you change view focus from your present location to another, those textures are released, so the new textures in your current location can be loaded. This is a performance/memory savings!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

For completeness sake... I've found that my machine is more comfortable at 2m textures and LOD_RADIUS=4.5 than it was at 1m textures and LOD_RADIUS=4.0, so I'm now on 2m textures until I can buy a new computer. For that, no blurries!

Bert

Guest Robin R.

It would have been helpful is some suggestions of what values to use. 30 frames doesn't make much sense to me? TIMEOUT values are traditionally measure in milliseconds or some unit of time, not in frames?What I'm guessing is that lower values will force a timeout which will in turn force the texture tile to load (priority is stepped up)?? Or is it a lower value will trigger a timeout and the texture tile will never load?Also, how does a timeout value help improve the blurries?? It doesn't really make much sense as presented by Phil Taylor. Perhaps he needs to go back and check with the developers? If you get a random texture tiles with a solid color that means NO texture is loaded at all to the tile -- this isn't "blurry" this is NO textures at all.Blurries is when the higher resolution texture tiles are not being loaded within the LOD radius for whatever reason. Changing the LOD radius seems to have no affect on removing the blurries in more distant objects. It's as if Aces' coded in a boundry limit?? It would be helpful if more information were provided.Robin.

One thing I've found is that the LOD radius that is manually set in the fsx.cfg file is not persistent, ie if I set 4.0 which in the options panel translates into "large", it soon get overwritten when I change some other option, in this case by "4.5" which is the default "large" measure. I wonder if the same might happen if you choose say 6.0 and FSX in it's wisdom resets it to 4.5 on your behalf..(Edit)I tested it, and yes, FSX resets it to 4.5

Bert

Guest Len

I thought the XBox 360 could do 1080p through VGA connection to a capable 1080p set with VGA? Actually the Elite with HDMI 1.3 could do it as well.I think it would be faster and capable of extinguishing these problems such as blurries since you're using the dedicated processors with no other 'junk' burdening the system.

Guest Robin R.

No, the XBOX360 frame buffer is not capable of anything beyond 1280 x 720, it can output to 1080 but it is upconverted. Also for native 1080p (1920 x 1080) you would either want DVI or HDMI, not VGA.The blurries are caused by the delay in loading high resolution textures from the hard drive and it would appear there is also a LOD radius limit. Even when cached, the process of switching texture resolutions is the problem.I really don't think texture/tile swapping approach is workable on the XBOX360 -- are they gonna load the scenery on the hard drive or try to load it directly from DVD or HD-DVD?And why did XBOX360 opt for HD-DVD when BlueRay has far superior performance and capacity? $$$ -- cheapest road always wins with Microsoft? Talk about pauses and stutters, try loading scenery realtime from a DVD or HD-DVD.