Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Are you playing the Reno Air Races ? What could be improved

I tried logging in and playing some online races during the last couple days, and tried it some weeks ago too, but there's nobody around to race with ?

I believe the tittle success will probably give MS a sign of what the great majority of MFS users want from the game, although I admit I am fond of air races ... although not with the flight dynamics that are presently available for the different aircraft.

Also, for such a tittle, having an online Lobby List would be useful...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I think the problem was that once you've raced it once or twice it's not much fun after that as the courses are static and don't really change or become more challenging... people move on to other things so I can't imagine there are many people still using it. That being said, you can find some obstacle courses and the like on flightsim.to and Orbx also have some free ones

• Like 1

Just another Micro$oft crash and burn gimmick that went no where! Resources and $ spent on development could've been spent on fixing the deluxe aircraft and multitude of bugs that are ongoing for almost18 months.

Reno racers should've been an xbox exclusive arcade addon. 

• Like 12
  • Upvote 3

tpewpb-6.png

Well, also MS/Asobo will once also learn that only the "old guys" already into simming for years are the ones that will also keep MSFS up and running by buying addons over and over again. Not the hop-on/hop-off console generation. It is nice to gain some real simmers by also offering MSFS on Xbox and providing them some "gaming" stuff, but on a long term scale? No. 

• Upvote 3

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I found it great fun at first, but it is very repetitive, What I disliked was you could be leading a race but then get rammed from the back and find yourself last, very frustrating.

• Upvote 1

Asus Maximus Hero X11, Intel i9 10850k, 32gb Corsair Dominator ram, 2tb Corsair mp510 ssd  m2, Gigybyte turbo RTX 3090

59 minutes ago, RW1 said:

Reno racers should've been an xbox exclusive arcade addon. 

How would that help? The same amount of resources would have to be spent, and it would reduce the potential profit as well as playerbase.

@jcomm A few top players have set up a Discord server where they gather daily for races and contests. You can find a link here: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/official-discussion-reno-air-racing/463064/392

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Scimiter said:

I found it great fun at first, but it is very repetitive, What I disliked was you could be leading a race but then get rammed from the back and find yourself last, very frustrating.

Asobo could add a new racing circuit with every WorldUpdate. That would keep the virtual airracers flying for some time.
As for ramming, in a race those aircraft should not be able to hit each other.

For me, a built-in career mode with wear, tear and damage is much more interesting. A live market to transport goods and people, ferry flights, missions that relate to (real world) events could keep people engaged for longer than racing IMO.

There are a few addons that try to do this already but some options like wear and tear, weight of cargo etc. could greatly benefit from native support in the sim.

• Like 6

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Well, it didn't have lots of players at start and they got fewer and fewer. Strange thing is that while it can be lots of fun and flight models and technical stuff like engine management are dumbed down to a certain amount, it still needs quite a lot of skill. Novice players obviously were terribly frustrated, because every race they did, they lost by a big distance to the better pilots. Even if they know that they have to set rpm to a certain setting, they still haven't the slightest chance against the better pilots. When I flew races with the P-51 I most often did not optimize rpm and flew wider corners just because I did not want to distance the other players too much. But every effing time I won by 20 seconds and more. It was only fun when I could race against another reasonably good pilot. That could be very intense and nerve wrecking. But most races were super-boring races against time.

Reno Air Races is a big flop for sure. Which is sad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jcomm said:

I tried logging in and playing some online races during the last couple days, and tried it some weeks ago too, but there's nobody around to race with ?

I believe the tittle success will probably give MS a sign of what the great majority of MFS users want from the game, although I admit I am fond of air races ... although not with the flight dynamics that are presently available for the different aircraft.

Also, for such a tittle, having an online Lobby List would be useful...

I like it but I have the same problem as you experience.

No lobby or 1 maybe 2 others. There is a discord that arranges some races and have good tips but the problem is that I have not always time to join.

• Like 1

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

Will have to check that Discord channel !  Thanks for your suggestions guys !

I really like the Races, and with the upcoming flight dynamics it'll surely become even more interesting.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

17 minutes ago, hansb57 said:

I like it but I have the same problem as you experience.

No lobby or 1 maybe 2 others. There is a discord that arranges some races and have good tips but the problem is that I have not always time to join.

They could implement virtual racers if there aren't enough humans. They could even record flights to give these AI racers humanlike behaviour.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

I bought one product, the L39 Red Thunder plane from the pack.  Oh and I also bought one of the P51's.  The L39 is actually pretty decent for 10 bucks.  I feel like someone gave it a lot of TLC (maybe it was even guy from Lotussim).  The P51, on the other hand, is garbage.  It flies like word not allowed, the Sandel HSI doesn't even work aside from acting as a compass.  You can't change NAV source (the plane has the GNS430W in cockpit) - I even emailed Microsoft about it and asked for BASIC implementation so I could actually tune a VOR or navigate via GPS.  They treated it as a feature request *sigh*

So, clearly the quality of these addons from the Reno pack varies widely.  I won't buy anything else though.

In my opinion (everyone's got one hehe), the Asobo DLC products aren't great.  I think the Husky appeared to be decent enough (never got it but people here, whom I trust, says it's fun).  But the Junkers and Fokker have got plenty of issues.  Carenado's D17S also appears decent-ish.  So I guess that's 2/4 not including the Reno stuff.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Wasn’t there a thought that people could create their own race courses and share them?  Maybe I imagined that but I had thought we’d see a bunch of fun race courses show up on flightsim.to.  Beyond that I got bored of flying in the same circle pretty quickly.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

First look, thought it was a total waste of money. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS