Sign in to follow this  
mSparks

X-Plane 12 Development Update – March 4th, 2022

15 minutes ago, mSparks said:

No one was willing to take the risk pre vulkan because opengl wasnt good enough for general consumers, let alone commercial use which has much stricter requirements.

LR have the only flight simulator where the entire graphics system is built on a modern graphics API.

MSFS DX12 isnt finished

DCS still havent finished their vulkan transition

P3D are DX12 in name only.

So no, its the others that are playing catchup with XP11. XP12 is a further development on capabilities the others havent even achieved yet. 

Not what I am seeing with my own eyes but you might be right I can't say.

24 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

If the vulkan transition had ended that badly (40% drop in framerate and make the stutters worse instead of fix them) XP would most likely have died tbh.

Vulkan was delayed (took about 8 to 12 months longer than they generally planned afaik), but now the stutters are gone, framerates are in the high 100s on modern hardware, Linux and even windows on high settings.

There is now actually headroom to do more.

Like FSR, more compute on the GPU (omg those trees....) instead of less. all the stuff in their and our wish list.

None of which would have been a sensible time investment in a sim choking at 35fps on top of the range hardware.

I will be quite disappointed if shortly after XP12 launches their team doesnt grow even further and faster. 

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

4 hours ago, jarmstro said:

Maybe it time fir new glasses. Some just dont want to see. What ever floats your boat.

nobody uses DX12 in MSFS at this time, according to the developers at Asobo, DX12 implementation is still experimental and should only be used for compatibility and performance testing. no new glasses needed to understand their message.

• Like 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

On 3/8/2022 at 5:05 PM, uwespeed said:

as well as it doesn't help automagically to throw 50 (or even more) people onto a flight simulator.

still nonsense, no matter how often you repeat this here and elsewhere. if MS/Asobo followed your wisdom, we could expect MSFS release date in 2120 instead 2020. they developed MSFS pretty much from scratch in record time in under 5 years, you don't honestly believe one second this could have been possible with a team of 5 or 50? why do you think the medical industry "throws" thousands of researchers world wide at finding new Covid vaccines if 9 people could not achieve more than 1 in the same time frame, just like other wise industries have done for millions of years?

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

56 minutes ago, turbomax said:

in under 5 years

nope.

They were already 5 years in before they announced it.

And the plan was to use the fsx flight model with some minor changes because the fsx flight model had remained the best on the market anyway. (easy to believe if you had just looked at user numbers).

1 hour ago, turbomax said:

Asobo, DX12 implementation is still experimental

exactly 

And LR finished that transition pretty much 12 months ago now.

XP12 is vulkan only, already tried and tested on XP11 - Hence MS is still catching up with XP11

where Vulkan > DX12, because it lets you do

xKjWZEL.png

at 250fps with no stutters on hardware available today. DX12 still hasnt proved it can yet.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

AutoATC Developer

6 hours ago, mSparks said:

If the vulkan transition had ended that badly (40% drop in framerate and make the stutters worse instead of fix them) XP would most likely have died tbh.

Vulkan was delayed (took about 8 to 12 months longer than they generally planned afaik), but now the stutters are gone, framerates are in the high 100s on modern hardware, Linux and even windows on high settings.

So. For Xplane you judge the Vulkan implementation after 8-12 months of work to fix it, but for the competitor you judge it based on a first not even complete addition. You make a lot of sense as usual.

Edited by Pastaiolo
  • Like 2

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

9 minutes ago, Pastaiolo said:

So. For Xplane we can judge the Vulkan result after 8-12 months of work to fix it, but for the competitor you judge it based on a first not even complete addition. You make a lot of sense as usual.

Vulkan took 8 to 12 months longer than expected.

All in they started in 2018 iirc, which is 4 years. which is pretty much market average for a new graphics engine, if not quicker than normal. Cyberpunk 2077 was announced in 2012.

So yeah, LR started Vulkan xplane well after Asobo started MSFS, seems fair to judge to me.

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 1

AutoATC Developer

2 hours ago, mSparks said:

They were already 5 years in before they announced it.

you are right: 120 people have been working on MSFS for 7.5 years, obviously a few more than those " It doesn't help automagically to throw 9 women to bear a child in 1 month". a simulator like MSFS needs not only developers for the main program code loop, but there was also a ton of acquiring and adjusting all sorts of data, 3D artists, testers etc etc.

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 1

very nice.

2 hours ago, mSparks said:

Hence MS is still catching up with XP11

😄😊🤣

• Like 1

very nice.

RKA also showed its even possible in windows, which I personally doubt, but he did post 

On 11/14/2021 at 1:14 PM, rka said:

spacer.png

AutoATC Developer

More. Listen to all his comments about im using 11 so stop complaining.

Edited by mjrhealth
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1