Sign in to follow this  
Guest Paul Heaney

Is this a football free forum...?

"22 overinflated egos running after an overinflated piece of leather"I don't think there are many athletes out there that don't have overinflated egos. Thats what makes them competative, and so great to watch."Or do you think that football is the only sport in the world?"Actually, living in Australia, we don't get to watch too much football, and I only really follow football when the world cup is on.So to answer your question...No. I don't think football is the only sport in the world.Being originally from Melbourne, I folllow Australian Football religiously! And no, not NRL, but AFL!

Have a great Day/Night where ever you are! :-wave

http://www.3dflite.com/dac/img/BANNER-soccer.gif Student Pilot - YSBKC152/Tomahawk/Warrior/Archer/Duchess66.3 hrs Total

Guest wayupthere

Urghh Hate it, gimme F1 n NASCAR anytime :-hah. Oohh well to each their own, have fun with the whole world cup thingy if you like it :-wave

not as bad as in football, certainly in Europe.Even minor league players consider themselves to be divine beings here, worse even than movie stars and TV personalities.

Heheh :)I'll be the first to admit I'm not the world's greatest footie fan. I grew up in central London. If you walked 10 minutes in one direction from my family's house you would arrive at Stamford Bridge (Chelsea FC) and if you went 10 mins in the other direction you would find Craven Cottage (Fulham FC). I used to support Chelsea until the mid 90's when a certain Dutchman became player-manager and started packing the team out with foreign players. Ever since then Chelsea have had foreign managers and coaches, and the English contingent on the team has been a minority. I switched my allegience to Fulham, who at the time were a minor team in the lower leagues. Around this time a certain publicity hungry Arab businessman who owns a rather well known shop in Knightsbridge bought Fulham FC and they began packing their team out with foreign players. At that point I gave up with supporting either team.To be fair though, the World Cup only lasts a few weeks every four years. It truly is one of the world's great sporting spectacles - seeing an unkown African player run rings around the European megastars, or seeing how many dives the Latin American teams can take in 90 minutes :) It's also great fun to get together with your mates and support your country, having a few beers and maybe a BBQ in the summer sunshine (as we did yesterday) :)

Exactly Elche. I fear Dave is a bit out of touch with reality down there on the English Riviera.English football is now a sport enjoyed safely by tens of thousands of families every weekend. The bad old days are long gone. And talking of noisy, moronic fans, have you been to a test match recently ??? }( Just for you Dave, England beat Paraguay 1 - 0. Not a very good game, but the right result. And you'll be relieved to know the English fans did not put Frankfurt to the torch!Enjoy the rest of the World Cup. It's going to be great. :) Ian

>English football is now a sport enjoyed safely by tens of>thousands of families every weekend. The bad old days are long>gone. And talking of noisy, moronic fans, have you been to a>test match recently ??? }( >That's probably because they now teach hooliganism from an early age so everyone can get in a good swing and throw a well aimed brick ;)

>Could be that Schumi gets another washing behind the ears>which is always good to watch.Why do you say that?He has won more races than anyone else, surely a quality to be admired?

Dave Taylor gb.png

>Now i'm sure if I search some of the other sports you>mentioned, I could find many more examples of what you>selectively chose not to recall.>>

>Have a great Day/Night where ever you are! :-wave >

>[/font] >>

>

http://www.3dflite.com/dac/img/BANNER-soccer.gif >>>Student Pilot - YSBK>C152/Tomahawk/Warrior/Archer/Duchess>66.3 hrs Total>> >

Go ahead, be my guest? Maybe I don't know about American football but I guaruntee you won't see any problems of the like, in motor/m/cycle races or the others I mentioned. Enough said?

Dave Taylor gb.png

To be fair though, the World Cup only lasts a few weeks every four years. It truly is one of the world's great sporting spectacles - seeing an unkown African player run rings around the European megastars, or seeing how many dives the Latin American teams can take in 90 minutes It's also great fun to get together with your mates and support your country, having a few beers and maybe a BBQ in the summer sunshine (as we did yesterday) Couldn't agree more. But to be fair to the South Americans (Argentina in particular) they only dived 98 times instead of the usual 100 last night :DIt was really worth the 4 years I've waited to see them play. It was well worth the wait!And for the F1 fans...Go Alonsso!!Can't wait for it to come back to Albert Park - Melbourne!!

http://www.3dflite.com/dac/img/BANNER-soccer.gif Student Pilot - YSBKC152/Tomahawk/Warrior/Archer/Duchess66.3 hrs Total

Guest IFC2

Football, good grief,I actually watched the match yesterday, and, to be honest, we should be ashamed of ourselves.we only got that goal from a head-ricochet off the other side's defender, we did not get it ourselves,we played like a bunch of women, in fact, scratch that, I have seem women football teams play far better.the German squad must be rubbing their hands and thinking that it's all over now!.so, these super-fit guy's can run for hours can they!, then we get the "it was too hot" excuses,it just goes to show, paying way too much money, pampering them like gods, and giving them whatever they want, helping them when they get into trouble with gambling debts and alcoholism etc does not mean that they will actually win anything.just remind me again, how long is it since we beat the Germans!, twenty odd years isn't it, they are far better trained, not to mention disciplined than we could ever be.

The Germans are not playing well. Its as if the German defence has travelled around the globe to get to the world cup, and are still suffering from Jet lag. They need to wake up! The Swedes are shockers also!! More credit to the Trinidad guys who held them off with only 10 guys on the pitch!So far the Argentina vs Cote d'Avoire, and Poland vs Ecuador have been the most entertaining.

>Exactly Elche. >>I fear Dave is a bit out of touch with reality down there on>the English Riviera.>>English football is now a sport enjoyed safely by tens of>thousands of families every weekend. The bad old days are long>gone. And talking of noisy, moronic fans, have you been to a>test match recently ??? }( >>Just for you Dave, England beat Paraguay 1 - 0. Not a very>good game, but the right result. And you'll be relieved to>know the English fans did not put Frankfurt to the torch!>>Enjoy the rest of the World Cup. It's going to be great. :) >>IanHi Ian,No I'm not "out of touch" down here in the west country, as you put it!On the contrary, I have 'been there' 'done it' and wore the 'T' shirt'.I have played football professionally, raced motorcycles, drove the Flying Scotsman Kings Cross to Newcastle all the way many times. Steam and Diesel electric.Flown in all types of aircraft and drive most vehicles legally.If that is being 'out of touch' pray tell me where I have faltered?As for sport, I speak as I find.80% of the people in the UK hate football and the way it dominates the media.The kids wonder why it is the only sport we appear to have because of the way the media rams it down everyone's neck!They feel bewildered when they have no interest in the game.I played for my school team and well remember some children sidelined and forced to watch the games because they chose not to play. To them it was a total and complete waste of time but, that was the 'blinkered' attitude of the teachers, even then. I sympathised with these guys and became involved in many arguments with ignorant people who couldn't ever see the other aspects of life.Where I used to live, a place called Enfield in North London, I shuddered at the antics of the 'so-called fans' after watching the previous World Cup games in the public houses skirting a very busy main road with heavy traffic.At the end of the game, saturated in 'drink' they would spew (in more ways than one) out onto the main road without a care for what vehicles or even how big they were!Jumping up and down, dropping their trousers for the women drivers, swinging around lamp post's like 'Bararbary Apes' and smashing windows and damaging cars that had stopped to prevent the risk of running them down.Running around with their stupid painted faces reminded me of past films showing savages rampaging through African villages. This is their misguided and warped intelligence..........And you say it is a safe sport? When did you hear of people crushed by the antics of others at any other sport?What other sport do you see toilet rolls, darts and smoke bombs thrown at the players?Ian, in my opinion it's not me that is 'OUT OF TOUCH' try looking into the mirror some time?There is a world outside Football, believe it or not? Trouble is, you have to travel to other countries to wake up to the realism of more other pleasureable sports and facilities.To conclude, I moved to Devon to escape the rat race that is now London, I wish I had come here 40 years ago.

Dave Taylor gb.png

>>The Germans are not playing well. Its as if the German defence>has travelled around the globe to get to the world cup, and>are still suffering from Jet lag. They need to wake up!Ahhh,as long as we shoot at least one more goal than we take in every game, everything is OK :-). My true congrats to the Aussies!!! First goals, and first victory ever in a soccer world championship match! Well done!Yours,Martin Georg/EDDFVATSIM Europe Division Director *** mailto:vateud1@vateud.orghttp://online.vatsimindicators.net/811874/957.png

Dave'Out of touch' refers to your 'tar everyone with the same brush' attitude to football fans. You know - just because a minority of idiots misbehave, you want to ban it for everyone. I'd say that's needlessly draconian, and harks back to misinformed press rants of some years back.And I fail to see what driving steam trains or flying aircraft has to do with anything. I've been shot at by the IRA - does that earn ME some points??It would appear that your experience of local football fans has really coloured your views, and made you very antagonistic towards a game that is enjoyed by millions across the world. That's a shame, and understandable perhaps. But if we ban everything and treat all the decent, law-abiding supporters like criminals, then the barbarians have won haven't they??By the way, I'm sick to the back teeth with London too. I lived there for years and still work there. I'm planning to retire to Cornwall...:) Best wishesIan