Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

So what is that other core doing? Blurries...

Guest jcmckeown

One thing I can't understand is the following:FSX RTM no blurries and only 1 CPU core being usedFSX SP1 blurries all over (it's horrible) and 2 CPU cores being used.SO I figured with all that extra CPU being used in SP1 (and 1 core being dedicated to texture loading) I should have much less blurries and not more!So I created a flight video and ran it with Vista Process Monitor running. My findings were the following:FSX RTM: 667,000 events mainly disk reads from my photreal scenery filesFSX SP1: 1;319,000 events mainly disk reads from my photreal scenery filesSo SP1 is doing much more work, loading more files but obviously not concentrating enough on the right files (i.e. the ones close to the aircraft to keep things nice and clean).The only difference between the 2 runs is FSX RTM and SP1. NOTHING ELSE. All same configuration settings. No tweaks. BTW I tried all the possible tweaks for SP1 before but none helped. Before benchmarking I deleted FSX.cfg and let FSX create a new one. Then I just set parameters back to high quality.One thing I noticed is that SP1 tends to load scenery further in the distance so mountains far away look better. But the close up scenery is a disaster compared to RTM.Bottom line: I think SP1 has a "priorities issue". It is not concentrating enough CPU work on updating the files close to the aircraft.Don't get me wrong, there are many obvious performance benefit in SP1 and I'm thankful to ACES for the hard work that's gone into SP1 but this blurries issue, particularly visibile with large photoreal scenery (FranceVFR) is a killer.Rgds,JCMKVista UltimateRAID 0 raptors 74 GB x 28800 GTSCore 2 6600 @ 3 GHZ2 GB RAMFrance

Guest jcmckeown

Could it be that the blurries is a Vista only issue?

>Could it be that the blurries is a Vista only issue?I'm on Win XP Pro and have blurries.The initial area loads fine and clear, but as I fly, the blurries slowly start to show up. What's odd is that some areas in distance are clear.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

Guest JohnEGPF

I'm usin XP getting terrible blurring compared to unpatched FSX ,most noticeable on photo based scenery.I noticed both core's going at 100% when flying with cached tileproxy scenery so my e6600 is working much harder with SP1, just curious if the new code is causing some type of bottleneck?, perhaps the textures are getting processed much quicker than before but get held in the queue so to speak?.But saying that many other are not getting blurring with SP1 when using photo based scenery so who knows?, for the momement I'm running FSX without the patch and its running fine capped at 30 FPS and getting that 99% of the time, and for me the scenery is MUCH clearer.John

Guest lulu

How do your test the core percentage when you are flying? If I bring up (with control alt delete) and then fly it will not be on top and will not show.

>How do your test the core percentage when you are flying? If>I bring up (with control alt delete) and then fly it will not>be on top and will not show.There are several tools on XP to measure performance correct as soon you Alt tab isn't correct anymore ;-)Performance console in your admin tools ;-)Andr

André

JCMK,Leave your FSX.cfg to the default settings... don't do any tweaks. Just Change 1 thing. I would like you to post here about your blurries after you try this out. Add the following line under the section "" Read < and > as Square braket since square bracket would not display here.SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=120Can you do that and report back here please!Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Hi JCMK... Did you uninstall FSX and all add-ons and then reinstall them prior to applying the patch? Phill recommened this in his blog. Regards,Mark

i9-13900K @ 5.8Ghz / Asus TUF 4090 OC / 32 GB DDR 5 / Corsair 1000W PS /  Pimax Crystal / 2 SATA SSD / 2TB M2 SSD/ DOF Reality H3 motion platform/ Win 11 

Guest MauiHawk

>So SP1 is doing much more work, loading more files but>obviously not concentrating enough on the right files (i.e.>the ones close to the aircraft to keep things nice and>clean).I really think that could be it. Others have posted similar observations, I have noticed it as well. I have noticed it too, and find many times I can see tiles a good distance out in front of me are loaded at a higher detail than the ones beneath me. It seems reasonable they may have tweaked the algorithm that decides which tiles to work on to try to make better use of DC machines now that they can load tiles on a second core. If so, maybe they didn't get all the kinks worked out of it.But, if that was the case, it seems like you could manually "prioritize" it somewhat by lowering your LOD setting... if you gave it a smaller circle of area you wanted crisp, it seems like there would be a better chance that it would get those tiles loaded. Though I have seen one or two posts stating this helped, it did not help for me.

Guest jcmckeown

Thanks all for trying to help.Manny, I used the SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=120 but that didn't help.Yes, I uninstalled and re-installed FSX...Rgds,JCMK

Guest BobKK

I'm not (knock-on-wood) seeing "blurries" with SP1 (at least not yet).Prior to installing SP1, I removed all of my add-ons per Phil's instructions. Then I defragged. Then I installed SP1 and then added back my add-ons (LA Photoreal scenery, Real Sky, Traffic 2005, XClass US and XClass Canada).Then I defragged again (using 3rd party utility Perfect Disk).My system is an Intel Core-2 duo e6600 running at stock speed (2.4Ghz) and I have an nvidia 7900 GS video card w/1Ghz memory (soon to be upgraded to 2Ghz). By today's standards, a moderately fast system.I have made no modifications to my FSX.cfg file.I'm using anti-aliasing and trilinear filtering set via the Sim, not the video card.I've noticed a moderate framerate increase but I keep my FR target at 25fps. I still, on occasion, see a little bit of pausing but it's quite minimal and not as much as prior to the SP1 installation. I'm not sure what I'm doing "right" but I hope a solution to this widespread problem is found soon so you guys can enjoy the sim as much as I am (and just in case I start getting the blurries in the future).Bob

For you guys with dual core processors who have installed SP1 with disappointing results. Add a section "[Jobsheduler]" with a line "AffinityMask=2" to the top of your FSX.CFG file. It's absolutely necessary to get SP1 to work as advertised.Guys, i'm still in the wow stage since adding this "tweak".[JOBSCHEDULER]AffinityMask=2The fsx.cfg file is found here; C:Documents and SettingsusernameApplication DataMicrosoftFSX

>AffinityMask=2Since all that entry does is disable use of core#1, it seems strange that you'd see "better performance..." :9 AffinityMask=1 //use one core (or only vcpu0 on a singlecore HT)AffinityMask=2 //use only core #2 on a multi-core processorAffinityMask=3 //use both cores on a multi-core (or both vcpu0 & vcpu1 on a singlecore HT)AffinityMask=7 //use cores 1, 2 and 3 on a quad-core processorAffinityMask=15 //use cores 1, 2, 3 and 4 on a quad-core processorThe value of AffinityMask is a bitmask with a range from:0000 to 1111

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

25 to 100% performance boost with the affinity set at 2. Running the 3 setting gives me the same performnce as I get with no tweak -major lags, stutters and blurries. I'm on a e6600Ati 1900xt2 gig ramXp 32With the tweak at the "2" setting:Settings all but maxed out, running at 20 to 30+ fps (Paris Airshow), with Fraps running.My understanding of the tweak is it simply switches the job handling from core 1 to core 2, leaving headroom for the 1st core to handle system processes and any 3 third party utilities -such as fraps, that will only call on core one.Before the tweak, I couldn't even use fraps, as my frames rates would fall into into the single digits, if not a complete momentary stall.Edit: My claimed performance increase is over preSP1 with the same settings.