Sign in to follow this  
NZAA

SID & Star Charts

If I'm not mistaken https://skyvector.com/ can help you plan a route between two airports however you still need to find specific SID and Star/Approach charts?

A few questions. Is Sky Vector and MSFS in sync?

Secondly other than Navigraph is there a good place to get Charts without having to try finding each specific authority who owns the charts.

I've found https://chartfox.org/ which is so far the best place. I'm just wondering if there's anything else out there.

I fly once or twice a week at most sometimes not at all so can't justify the cost of a Navigraph membership

I've found these tools but easier to use Sim Brief as they don't include SID & Stars

http://onlineflightplanner.org/

http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/

• Like 2

If I'm flying in the US, I'll get a flight plan from Simbrief and copy the entire route. On skyvector, add the departure/arrival airports in the flightplan box, and then copy and paste the route from Simbrief below in the route box below. It'll show all the waypoints along with SID/STAR, and then you can just click on the waypoints to get the charts from Skyvector. Works great. 

Skyvector does have SID/STAR charts.  Right click on the airport, this will expand the menu and you will see all the associated charts.  No, MSFS may be updated periodically, but does not include all the navigation information (only about 70%).  So, skyvector is current and MSFS is only 'partially' current when sim updates come out.

For only flying a few times a week, sounds like you really dont need Navigraph.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

4 minutes ago, Mike S KPDX said:

Skyvector does have SID/STAR charts.  Right click on the airport, this will expand the menu and you will see all the associated charts.  No, MSFS may be updated periodically, but does not include all the navigation information (only about 70%).  So, skyvector is current and MSFS is only 'partially' current when sim updates come out.

For only flying a few times a week, sounds like you really dont need Navigraph.

The SkyVector trick seems to work in the USA only

Thanks for the chartfox link !! I just performed necromancy on my Vatsim account (forgot i even had an account) to gain access. looks like 90% of what i need right in one spot ! I probably will make do with googling the rest.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

3 hours ago, NZAA said:

The SkyVector trick seems to work in the USA only

The US Government makes their aeronautical products in digital form available free of charge.  You can download nearly everything for the US, including an ARINC 424 compliant nav-database (the CFIPP file) from AJV-A's website: Aeronautical Data (faa.gov).  Skyvector uses the freely available US Government data for their product and offering. 

Outside of the US, State aeronautical data is considered proprietary and very much subject to copywrite laws.  Before 2007, the US National Geospatial Agency (NGA), which provides aeronautical data and charts to the US military services, made available on their website the NGA version of terminal instrument flight procedure charts, enroute charts, and navigational data in electronic format.  In fact, many early flight simulator FMS systems like PS1, PMDG, Level D, through Navigraph used this NGA "DIAFF" data to make flight simulator FMSs run.  In 2007, the Australian to exception to the fact that NGA through DIAFF data file was openly sharing their State AIP aeronautical data, and that they charge a fee for, basically free of charge.  They threatened to withhold their data from the NGA unless they removed it from public access, which of course they dutifully did.  if you were around in 2007, you might recall the tizzy this caused in the flight simulator community.  Navigraph stepped up with Jeppesen, then Lido, and now again with Jeppesen to fill this gap with aeronautical data provided by these two sources. 

Aeronautical charts and data may be available in State AIPs.  I know that the UK's AIP is available online, but you're forced to use their format.  Canada charges for their charts.  Some VATSIM communities provide charts, but they may be out of date. 

Getting free data outside of the US can be problematic.  Navigraph is not cheap.  However, it is of great value if you are flying instruments around the world or regularly in one location.  Trying to piecemeal charts from other providers may be a frustrating and ultimately fruitless proposition. 

sorry that I can't provide a better answer.

Thanks,

Rich Boll

• Like 1

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

18 hours ago, NZAA said:

Secondly other than Navigraph is there a good place to get Charts without having to try finding each specific authority who owns the charts.

I sub to Navigraph but I also have an app called SimPlates by a company called Dauntless Aviation on my phone and tablet. There is a once off purchase price but you then have access to procedure and airport plates for almost every airport around the world. It is so easy to use too, so I often pull it up before going into Navigraph. SimPlates data is not as current as Navigraph but usually it has current procedures. If I am looking for an ILS or VOR frequency, or check out SIDs and STARs, I can find it in seconds on the app.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

It’s not exactly the same, but LittleNavmap contains most SIDs and STARs.

Not sure about anyone else but I have been relying on Navigraph and the map functions from Pilot2ATC. Wonderful and essential program, I must say. It has its own maps, airways, SID/STARs....pretty much all of it. I tend to use SimBrief(Navigraph now) to get the general route/airways and edit as needed in Pilot2ATC. I normally don't transfer the flight plan into the sim as I prefer to put everything in manually. More fun, I guess. It does take time putting everything in the P2A and then the sim but whatever....more fun, like I said. I've had Navigraph for such a long time that I am used to it. The ATC program integrates, the CRJ, the GNS750 mods have it integrated (pro version) and....here's the kicker....you can have it on a tablet as well. But for free....?

But for free, onlineflightplanner and littlenavmap are excellent sources. I have used LittleNavMap in the past and it had a great deal of what you need.

RaptryOne, their charts look really good.

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---