Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Electric Cars...

0 - 60 is 3.5 seconds. All in a car that will do 1000 miles on one charge. Or in many cased not need to to be plugged in at all. 

• Like 1

Looks like just the thing I would need for the driving I do.  I could probably trade my Prius straight across for one.  I'll have to look into it some more.  Are they going to have dealerships?

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Not sure about dealerships. For servicing they come to you. And if its an ultra remote location then they send you any parts and tell you how to install. By the looks of it its designed to be easy to fix. 

22 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

The Mercedes EQS 2022 is listed at 485 miles, speed isn't as much of a factor as throttle input and AC/Heat system.  Ford Mustang Mach-E 379 miles, BMW iX 380 miles, Tesla Model S long range 405 miles.  That's for 2022 cars, 2023 we'll see more cars at longer ranges, same with 2024, etc. etc. I believe Tesla are looking at trying to break the 1000 mile range within the next 5-10 years.  EVs started at 80 mile ranges, now we're up to 480+ miles in a relatively short period of time.

These are temperature dependent, though, aren't they? How would they perform at -20 Celsius (-4 Fahrenheit) up here in the frozen north?

Dugald Walker

If you have battery operated devices like flashlights and iPhones and other electronic devices that run on batteries that work up there then cars should also work.

When I visited Edmonton on our Canadian trip all of the parking spaces at our motel had electric cords for engine block heaters for cars.  If there is a low temperature problem for electric vehicles I imagine the same sort of thing could be provided for electric cars.

Noel  

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

21 minutes ago, birdguy said:

If you have battery operated devices like flashlights and iPhones and other electronic devices that run on batteries that work up there then cars should also work.

https://www.greencars.com/post/how-cold-weather-affects-electric-cars 

Although I think the batteries may have heaters just like regular car batteries.

Edited by dmwalker

Dugald Walker

That was an eye opener Dugald.

Where I live our winter daytime temps run about 45 degrees.  In the summer about 90 to 100 degrees.  My car has heated front seats and a heated steering wheel and I use the heater every trip during the winter.  And in the summer I use the air conditioning all the time.  So this is giving me concerns about the Aptera.  I watched the entire video and nothing was said about an air conditioner.

Thanks for posting that.

This thread is becoming required reading for those considering a switch to electric vehicles.  Perhaps they are not the way to go in the frozen north or the southern desert.  I need more information.

As for purchasing an Aptera I would have to test drive one first.  So will they be available at some dealerships?  Will Ford or General Motors or Chrysler or Toyota or Nissan consider having them as sidelines so we can look at them and drive them before purchasing them?

Over the past three years I have become accustomed to the HUD in my Prius.  Do any electric cars offer this option?

Noel

5 hours ago, martin-w said:

Would You Buy Aptera's Three-Wheeled, 1,000-Mile EV? - InsideHook

does it come with tie down straps?  I think they might need it.  but otherwise, really cool...it even has a small trunk.

What kind of license does it require? motorcycle or standard drivers?

Edited by sightseer

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

56 minutes ago, dmwalker said:

These are temperature dependent, though, aren't they? How would they perform at -20 Celsius (-4 Fahrenheit) up here in the frozen north?

Low temps do impact electric cars range. If you live in a chilly location its one reason to opt for a bigger battery. No alternator of course to run electrics, so all lights, heater and stuff run off the battery. 

Tesla batteries will pre-heat themselves on cold days in perpetration for the drive. Pre-heating improves regen and charging speed on the fast chargers. 

5 hours ago, martin-w said:

25,000 US dollars. You will have to accept the science fiction movie styling, but what a great concept, ONE THOUSAND miles range.

For 25,000 you only get 250 mile range.  The 1,000 mile range Aptera will cost you 44,000 dollars.

No estmates on delivery dates  that I could find.

I sent them this message one their website 'contact us' option:

Before I reserve one I need some more information.

How long do I have to wait for delivery?

Do you have a dealer that would handle the Aptera in Roswell, New Mexico.

I would want to test drive one before I reserve one.

How would the battery perform in the summertime here where we average 90 to 110 degrees almost every day.

I don't think I'll be looking for one anytime soon.

Noel

Edited by birdguy

26 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Where I live our winter daytime temps run about 45 degrees.  In the summer about 90 to 100 degrees.  My car has heated front seats and a heated steering wheel and I use the heater every trip during the winter.  And in the summer I use the air conditioning all the time.  So this is giving me concerns about the Aptera.  I watched the entire video and nothing was said about an air conditioner.

After a few seconds on Google...

Aptera will have both heat and AC, as well as heated and cooled seats AND a secondary, solar-powered cabin ventilation system to maintain the interior at the ambient temperature when it’s parked in the sun.

Don't know about test drives for Aptera. You would have to speak to them.

Some BEV's do have HUD's. 

9 minutes ago, sightseer said:

What kind of license does it require? motorcycle or standard drivers?

FAQ's are here...

https://aptera.us/faq/

No, Aptera is not a car. We call it a Solar Electric Vehicle, because it’s powered by the sun and also charged with batteries when plugged in. Technically speaking, Aptera can be classified as a motorcycle or auto-cycle. A helmet is not required because Aptera is enclosed, and the vast majority of states only require that you have a regular driver’s license to operate Aptera.

5 minutes ago, birdguy said:

For 25,000 you only get 250 mile range.  The 1,000 mile range Aptera will cost you 44,000 dollars.

Whets that in proper money? £33,000 quid. Hmm... a bit pricey.

No good for me anyway. When I get a house and car I'll no doubt be lugging DIY stuff from B&Q around. 😁

20 minutes ago, martin-w said:

No good for me anyway. When I get a house and car I'll no doubt be lugging DIY stuff from B&Q around

Are you going to get an electric truck?

Noel

2 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

What's B&Q?

I'm guessing the British equivellant to our Home Depot or Lowes.

Noel

• Like 1