Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Electric Cars...

2 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

We already do, posted in this thread (several EVs with that range and more on the way) ... facts do exist, but you have to read them Dave

I specifically stated "standard" and "affordable".

The Hyundai Kona costs $37K and has a 258 miles range. 

Chevy Bolt, $37K, 260 miles range.

Tesla Model Y, $42K(already getting expensive), 326 mile range.

Oh, wait, were you talking about the Tesla Model S?  Well now, that one one only costs $80K, but yes, it does have a 400 mile range.

I want a lot of range because the more range I have per charge the less time I have to waste waiting around at one of the very limited number of charging stations.

There are a number of videos and articles out there by unbiased people which truthfully relate the pros and cons, yes there are cons, to EVs. 

Sorry that your "facts" are clearly cherry-picked to support your agenda and that you are unable to be impartial where this issue is concerned.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

2 hours ago, martin-w said:

I haven't got the money for any car whether ICE or EV!

I have nowhere to charge one. I'm in a rented place with no access to charging as I have no garage or drive and no road in my vicinity. My daughter parks her car 15 minutes away in secur eparking.

And yet you keep pushing them, and pushing them, and pushing them, over, and over, and over.

I don't get it.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

5 hours ago, martin-w said:

Lands end to John O'Groats 837 miles.

Lands End to John O'Groats  837 miles.  No EV made today can make the trip.  You said yourself there are no facilites along the road.  But with a couple of 21/5 gallon gas cans in my trunk the car can easily make it.

How many years before an EV can drove between Lands End and John O'Groats?

I like the idea that if I take it in my mind to drive to South Carolina tis summer to visit my great grandkids I can do it.  500-600 miles day I usually drive on my cross country trips.  I

I like the idea of an EV for commuting to work and an ICE for road trips.

Noel 

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

16 minutes ago, birdguy said:

You said yourself there are no facilites along the road.

There seem to be more than enough facilities, even to get to John o' Groats, according to this website:

https://chargeplacescotland.org/ 

Dugald Walker

1 hour ago, dave2013 said:

And yet you keep pushing them, and pushing them, and pushing them, over, and over, and over.

I don't get it.

Dave

you may not agree with some points, fair enough, but he has contributed a lot in this thread.🙂

Edited by icewater5
  • Like 1

The common misconception is that we need EVs with 500, 600, 800 miles of range. These EVs can be built today in fact. 

The reality is that amount of range is not needed for 99.9% of daily use and you end up dragging around massive amounts of battery weight that’s just not needed. 

The charging speed technology and the charging infrastructure is the key to mass EV adoption. Tesla figured this out long ago which is why they are undisputedly leading the way in this segment. 

Ever seen a Ford high speed DC fast charger? GM? Toyota? The only reason we have a CCS DC fast charge network in the US is because of VW diesel gate and hence Electrify America.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Ryan

This topic seems to be heading in this direction!  Get my drift?? :ph34r:

SQLF.gif

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

4 minutes ago, charliearon said:

SQLF.gif

No!

Ryan

8 minutes ago, charliearon said:

SQLF.gif

These are gasoline powered cars. That fire and explosion wouldn't happen with electric cars, would it?

• Like 1

Dugald Walker

35 minutes ago, dmwalker said:

These are gasoline powered cars. That fire and explosion wouldn't happen with electric cars, would it?

https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/tesla-crash-driver-arrested-fire-b1901603.html

I was actually referring to this topic, in general, going up in flames.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I'm sitting here picturing an EV extended cab truck with a receptacle for an extender range battery pack that you might rent near your starting point and then drop off at your destination.  You just have it loaded into the bed for long trips.  Maybe short range EV cars could have a pull behind trailer for as much extra range as you might want.

or we could just wait a few years?

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

45 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Why not? 

When I was giving examples of distances between towns with no service facilities in my part of the country I asked Martin what was the longest distance between towns in Great Britan.  He replied 837 miles.  He led me to believe there were no towns or facilities between Lands End and John O'Groats.  And no electric car can drive 837 miles with out servicing.  He led me astray,

It's over 2,000 miles between Roswell and Charleston SC.  It would take considerably longer than 25-36 minutes longer to make the trip even in an EV unaffordable to me.  If I had to spend 45 minutes every 300 miles to charge an affordable EV it would take almost 6 hours longer, not 25 to 20 minutes.

Typically when I drive 500-600 miles a day on such a trip only a single 15 minute gas stop between my morning and evening gas stops.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

My electric car is sold. It is being picked up tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, birdguy said:

Lands End to John O'Groats  837 miles.  No EV made today can make the trip.  You said yourself there are no facilites along the road.  But with a couple of 21/5 gallon gas cans in my trunk the car can easily make it.

How many years before an EV can drove between Lands End and John O'Groats?

Noel 

You completly misunderstood Noel. I didnt say anything about no facilites. 

https://www.zap-map.com/ev-charging-record-set-for-john-ogroats-to-lands-end-run/#:~:text=Zero Carbon World has set,a Tesla Model 3 Performance.

It's easy now. I was just telling you the max distance its possible to drive in the UK. Either I misunderstood or you did.

You can do the trip with only 1.5 hours of charging. 😄

"Zero Carbon World has set a new John O’Groats to Lands End electric vehicle record, completing the trip with only 1 hour, 32 minutes, 32 seconds taken for charging. Completing the trip in just 15 hours and 32 minutes, representatives from the charity made the run in a Tesla Model 3 Performance"

"Since I last made this journey back in 2011, the charging infrastructure has improved dramatically across the UK. High-speed charging networks such as Ionity use the CCS charging standard that many EVs use. It’s fantastic to see the national charging network growing in the UK and across Europe to make such long journeys easy and accessible for more EV drivers"

Edited by martin-w