Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

Change ATC phraseology "decimal" to "point"

1 hour ago, harrry said:

My post is from the FAA.  It acknowledges that the controllers must accept POINT as it is used by all ICAO aircraft as a requirement.

Not all aircraft are N registered

I'm an air traffic controller in the USA.  We don't use the word decimal.  We even tell international carriers "contact xyz center on 133 point 4"  If they respond using decimal that's fine.  We understand it's the same.

• Like 3

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I'm gonna rebel against authority and make mine say "DOT" 😁

• Like 1

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

Canadian ATC here and we are supposed to use the ICAO phraseology of decimal, but it's also ok to not use anything in its place. "Contact ground 1,2,7,1,5" which is my preferred way. On a comms check which are done every few months we would get docked points for using anything other than mentioned above.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

What I miss is the Airline call signs that we were able to edit and upload into FSX and accelerate the ATC speech. What Asorbo needs to do is allow outside 3rd party people to takeover the terrible ATC part of FS2020. It would give a more  realistic experience.

Edited by Bigmack

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

16 minutes ago, Bigmack said:

What I miss is the Airline call signs that we were able to edit and upload into FSX and accelerate the ATC speech. What Asorbo needs to do is allow outside 3rd party people to takeover the terrible ATC part of FS2020. It would give a more  realistic experience.

Now you've done it!  You woke me up on another phrase/label used by MSFS ATC.

"Generic"

I am very soon going to check on this method to eradicate "generic" in favor of something more acceptable.  Ideas quickly coming to mind:

Pilot
Rookie (LOL)
Student
Unidentified
Unknown
Commercial 
Heavy
Tubeliner
Boeing
Airbus

Only issue is it likely needs to be a voiced word or phrase that currently exists in MSFS.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Working Title is apparently supposed to start an overhaul of the flight plan system this year with changes to ATC to work with it.

I've been using the built in ATC since launch, have had very little issues with it. Other than the 3-4 month period where it was reading altimeter data wrong and thinking player aircraft were at the wrong altitude when I wasn't, but everyone had that.

I also the default ATC in FSX and P3D all the time. I'm not a real pilot, so I don't notice any of the wrong phrases or all that.

Edited by Tuskin38

3 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

Other than the 3-4 month period where it was reading altimeter data wrong and thinking player aircraft were at the wrong altitude when I wasn't, but everyone had that.

It still does that if ATC instructs you to 18000. I fly Low Altitude Airways so often get instructed to 18000ft. Once there ATC still gives you QNH but then berates you for being below your assigned altitude. If you set standard pressure like you should then problem gone. I don't know if they got it wrong in their programing ( >18 instead of =>18 ) or what, but if you're instructed to climb to 18000 ft you will still receive QNH from ATC controllers while the sim will expect you to use STD.

James

12 hours ago, Phantoms said:

It still does that if ATC instructs you to 18000. I fly Low Altitude Airways so often get instructed to 18000ft. Once there ATC still gives you QNH but then berates you for being below your assigned altitude. If you set standard pressure like you should then problem gone. I don't know if they got it wrong in their programing ( >18 instead of =>18 ) or what, but if you're instructed to climb to 18000 ft you will still receive QNH from ATC controllers while the sim will expect you to use STD.

Not exactly "real life", but try setting altitude to 18100 or 17900 in those cases. Close enough that you don't get "expedite" all the time. 😉

...jim

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

I remember back in my FSX days I used to want to find a solution to replace Point with Decimal seeing as most of the world uses Decimal and I never really fly in the US. Hahah, how times have changed.

2 hours ago, JimBrown said:

Not exactly "real life", but try setting altitude to 18100 or 17900 in those cases. Close enough that you don't get "expedite" all the time. 😉

I'm use to it so when ATC instructs me to 18000 ft. I know to change to STD pressure once there (even though ATC still gives me QNH when changing controllers). This stops ATC telling me I'm so many feet below my assigned.

James