Sign in to follow this  
tjrush

Rolling Cache Limit

19 minutes ago, Kyuss said:

You omitted the part immediately before the part you quoted where he's talking about creating a cache hundred or thousands of GBs. Essentially he's saying there's a point of diminishing returns once you start making the rolling cache size bigger and bigger, hence why a few sentences earlier he recommended 8-32GB.

I'll never growth indefinitely independently on the size, because it's like a moving average, new data is coming in, new data is going out, your cache will never grow over the limit you set.

Edited by edpatino
  • Like 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Just want to point out that when update time rolls around please don't forget to delete the rolling cache file. If you dont and that particular airport or scenery gets an update there may be a conflict. Figured that out shortly after the last update where i did not delete the cache file and the airport was updated in the service update (LSZH). Got two ctd's the moment i tried to go to exterior view. Deleted the cache which probably had old and conflicting data and all was well.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

14 hours ago, cianpars said:

Zero unless you have a very slow internet connection.

I've tried big and small caches and found them to be of no benefit like many others have.

Same here. I have 100 Mbpx internet which is slow but not very slow. Rolling cache of any size makes no difference in loading times or stutters as far as I can tell. So about 6 months ago, I just turned it off.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I try it once when the sim was released, I didn't notice any difference at all and haven't used it since.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

If you have enough RAM, create a RAM Disk and put your rolling cache there.  Two benefits: 1.) RAM is much faster than even the fastest M.2 drive.  2.) NVMe drives do have a lifespan, and running the cache in a RAM Drive reduces the amount of data being constantly written to a physical drive, thus extending it's lifespan.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Eracer1111 said:

If you have enough RAM, create a RAM Disk and put your rolling cache there.  Two benefits: 1.) RAM is much faster than even the fastest M.2 drive.  2.) NVMe drives do have a lifespan, and running the cache in a RAM Drive reduces the amount of data being constantly written to a physical drive, thus extending it's lifespan.

But if you turn off your PC the data will be lost? 

Edited by jarmstro

Just now, jarmstro said:

IMDisk gives you a setting to store an image file when the computer is off.

5 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

Correct.  However, I am currently running a 16 gb cache atm purely for flying round in circles admiring certain areas of photogrammetry.  I'm not sure I'm seeing much of an improvement though and may turn it back off.

I have upgraded to 500 mbs internet from my previous 50 mbs connection (free of charge upgrade) which I hope will help things though still not sure what speed the MS servers are pushing out.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

1 minute ago, cianpars said:

Correct.  However, I am currently running a 16 gb cache atm purely for flying round in circles admiring certain areas of photogrammetry.  I'm not sure I'm seeing much of an improvement though and may turn it back off.

I have upgraded to 500 mbs internet from my previous 50 mbs connection (free of charge upgrade) which I hope will help things though still not sure what speed the MS servers are pushing out.

I no longer bother with a rolling cache. What I did notice though was I seemed to get less stutters if the rolling cache was not on my Windows drive.

1 minute ago, jarmstro said:

I no longer bother with a rolling cache. What I did notice though was I seemed to get less stutters if the rolling cache was not on my Windows drive.

yeah, I agree.  Luckily I have 2 nvme drives and can put the cache on the other one.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Just guessing here but I wouldnt be surprised that if you have rolling cache disabled some of the data that is streamed from the internet is still written to a temporary file or files before being processed by the sim and then re-written over and over.

Rolling cache will be useful if you often fly to or from particular airports. You should see the flight loading in noticeably quicker.

Rolling cache is definetly not only for photogrammetary. I mostly fly in areas that don't have photogrammetery and I find the cache beneficial.

To guage the size of cache needed simply open the data section in the options menu and note the amount of data used after you have flown for a while with the cache on. 16 Gigs seems about right for my usage.

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

1 hour ago, JSmith2112 said:

I find the cache beneficial.

In what way? I've never observed any benefits from either cache.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

1 hour ago, odourboy said:

In what way? I've never observed any benefits from either cache.

Whenever you revisit the same airport the scenery renders immediately even in the world map. Try it for yourself to see if it makes a difference for you. It certainly does for me where the closest Microsoft servers are a 10 hour flight away in real world distance.

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

1 hour ago, JSmith2112 said:

Whenever you revisit the same airport the scenery renders immediately even in the world map. Try it for yourself to see if it makes a difference for you. It certainly does for me where the closest Microsoft servers are a 10 hour flight away in real world distance.

I'll give it another go.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)