Sign in to follow this  
Bilbosmeggins

Is ATC chat running late these days?

Since SU8, I’ve noticed that ATC is very slow to react to my flight. On several occasions, I’ve heard them refer to me as being 2 miles (or more) out, when, in fact, I’ve already got my wheels on the tarmac. And it’s not as if I’m flying a fast jet that’s tricky to keep on top off, nine times out of ten I’ll be in a microlight which, in a decent headwind, can take an eternity to land. I took on a little bush flight yesterday, and had touched down, spun my plane around and took off again. Not until I was airborne and about a mile away did ATC announce that I was 2 miles away and coming in.

It’s so far behind events that it is ridiculous. I know it’s always been janky, and often wrong. But at least it used to turn up on time, offering a little bit of immersion. Now, it’s so late as to have the completely opposite effect, and become an immersion breaker. Am I suffering from something that is specific to my system, or is this problem universal?

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

Default ATC is kinda broken for me too. Very late descents, circle to land, unable to hear instructions, traffic is 6 o'clock (lol) etc etc. I'm hoping they at least get it working at a basic level. I tried an ATC add-on but immediately started getting C++ runtime errors so I removed it. 

Edited by gb09f

4 hours ago, gb09f said:

Default ATC is kinda broken for me too. Very late descents, circle to land, unable to hear instructions, traffic is 6 o'clock (lol) etc etc. I'm hoping they at least get it working at a basic level. I tried an ATC add-on but immediately started getting C++ runtime errors so I removed it. 

I’ve kinda gotten used to how mad it all is. It’s just the huge delay is the latest thing.

Is there any viable alternative, either available now or on the horizon?  And, if there is, how would it work in live play assuming that most people would still be on default ATC? Would other pilots still receive instruction that is in harmony with your own?

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

I've had no delays like you describe, and for the most part, top-of-descent calls have been spot-on, though I usually plan my own TOD and begin the descent if the ATC fails (which it still does on occasion).  There have been some small improvements but it certainly has a long way to go.

I know that there are some alternatives that people prefer: PF3 and Pilot2ATC come to mind.

Randall Rocke

9 hours ago, Bilbosmeggins said:

Since SU8, I’ve noticed that ATC is very slow to react to my flight. On several occasions, I’ve heard them refer to me as being 2 miles (or more) out, when, in fact, I’ve already got my wheels on the tarmac. And it’s not as if I’m flying a fast jet that’s tricky to keep on top off, nine times out of ten I’ll be in a microlight which, in a decent headwind, can take an eternity to land. I took on a little bush flight yesterday, and had touched down, spun my plane around and took off again. Not until I was airborne and about a mile away did ATC announce that I was 2 miles away and coming in.

It’s so far behind events that it is ridiculous. I know it’s always been janky, and often wrong. But at least it used to turn up on time, offering a little bit of immersion. Now, it’s so late as to have the completely opposite effect, and become an immersion breaker. Am I suffering from something that is specific to my system, or is this problem universal?

I have never experienced the late ATC calls that you describe, and I don't believe I have seen anyone else report it.  Thus, it seems the issue might be specific to your MSFS installation.  I fly the Aerosoft CRJ probably 80% of the time and I do use the in-game ATC.  It generally gets me to where I am going without too much drama - though maybe 5% of my flights end up with ATC calls disappearing (audibly and in the ATC dialog box).  Only fix for that seems to be a re-start of the sim or flight.

Edited by PlumCrazy

Okay, thanks each of you for your replies. It does, indeed, seem that my problem is unique to me. It’s a strange one though, as I thought that the ATC chat, when online, was done fully live.  Therefore not really giving much scope for such large delays.  I’ll give my settings a bit of a peruse, and see if anything seems awry.

I don't have what you describe, but I do have a Delay with the ATC window opening since SU8. I have the ATC window assigned to a button and before SU8 it use to open the ATC window instantly. After SU8 it takes a second or two to open the ATC window.

James