Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

Endurance found (Sir Ernest Shackleton)

Nobody else mentioned it, so I guess I'll put it up here. One of the crew took lots of movies and still shots back there a hundred years ago. Endurance was found about 2 miles from where it sank.

spacer.png

https://www.wsj.com/articles/endurance-ernest-shackletons-lost-ship-found-after-107-years-11646821921

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Pretty well preserved condition considering it's been underwater for over a century.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

It's amazing what cold water will do. All of the "thingies" that would normally destroy a wooden vessel can't live that environment. I'd love to see it salvaged and brought into the sunlight again. What a piece of history.

• Like 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

17 hours ago, W2DR said:

It's amazing what cold water will do. All of the "thingies" that would normally destroy a wooden vessel can't live that environment. I'd love to see it salvaged and brought into the sunlight again. What a piece of history.

Yep, very cold water and minimal species that feed on wood. I'm wondering if it would deteriorate rapidly if brought to the surface. 

3,000 metres down. 😲

I think it would deteriorate Martin. But I understand that there are preservatives that could be applied to stop that from happening. I hope that someday someone tries this. She deserves another day in the sun.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

the Mary Rose cargo included 140 long bows for Henry's army. The draw weight being about a zillion pounds. Crossbows have a large draw weight, but these are long bows where you have to hold the bow drawn, not just jerk it to a lock.

Robert Hardy (who played Siegfried Farnum on All Creatures Great and Small) is the longbow expert who catalogued the bows, most were in the 150 to 160 pound range. spacer.png

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

3 hours ago, martin-w said:

The pressure at 3,000 metres must be extreme.

Attributed to N. Sullivan:

Assuming seawater TDS  (total dissolved solids) content = 3.5% = 35,000 mg/l

Water density p = 1.035 kg/l

Water depth h = 3,000 meters

Water pressure = pgh = 1.035 × 9.81 × 3,000 = 30,460.05 N/m^2 = 30.46 tons/m^2

For those us in The Colonies that's  4,330 PSI.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fielder said:

the Mary Rose cargo included 140 long bows for Henry's army. The draw weight being about a zillion pounds. Crossbows have a large draw weight, but these are long bows where you have to hold the bow drawn, not just jerk it to a lock.

Robert Hardy (who played Siegfried Farnum on All Creatures Great and Small) is the longbow expert who catalogued the bows, most were in the 150 to 160 pound range. spacer.png

When I used to visit Warwick Castle in the UK, they used to have a tent set up where they were making longbows. Doubt they were the huge draw weight of the ones used by Henry's army, but fascinating all the same.

The soldiers that drew those bows weren't like people of today, they were much more hardy. Practicing the bow from a very young age and working hard on the land.

I never had the privilege of seeing one made. It could be expensive to buy one made by hand.

But I do shoot a cheap one from a guy on eBay who only charges about $50 but they are made to the same cross section pattern as the English bow. Which is different from the many primitive native cultures and from the so called 'longbows' in sporting goods stores today. The cross section of the proper English longbow limbs is almost rectangular, never flat, never round. The important difference was the squarish cross section which makes the draw and release smoother and quieter than modern style bows or traditional bows from any other culture.

Also, no re-curve at the ends. This gives up speed but increases smoothness and therefore accuracy. The speed is restored back by making the limbs much longer. So these bows were powerful and accurate but not easily carried through brush or forest or when riding, i.e. not very portable.