Sign in to follow this  
psolk

Required Global/Base add-ons for V5

12 minutes ago, BWBriscoe said:

I've just removed Vector by uninstalling in Orbx Central...is this all I have to do? Do I have to do anything else to remove it? It was installed in the P3D5 folder.

Personally I am uncertain but I don't think so.  My guess is you should have uninstalled it from within Central then uninstalled Central.  I don't know that removing Central removes all your Orbx add-ons.  I would think so though...  

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

3 minutes ago, psolk said:

Personally I am uncertain but I don't think so.  My guess is you should have uninstalled it from within Central then uninstalled Central.  I don't know that removing Central removes all your Orbx add-ons.  I would think so though...  

I'm not trying to remove Orbx totally (going to keep Global), just want to remove Vector.
Does uninstalling it in Orbx Central totally remove it and replace the original files?

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz  
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Just now, BWBriscoe said:

I'm not trying to remove Orbx totally (going to keep Global), just want to remove Vector.
Does uninstalling it in Orbx Central totally remove it and replace the original files?

I misread I apologize!!!  I thought you wrote that you uninstalled Central LOL... There was discussion from @Ray Proudfoot in the other thread about Vector and Global installs/uninstalls and I think it varied based on install location but again I'm not sure if that was just Global or Vector as well.  Not sure if anyone else can assist, apologies for not taking the time to read what you wrote correctly! 

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

@psolk and @BWBriscoe, I don't have Vector but from my understanding only FS Global replaces default files when installed inside P3D.

I would imagine it has an entry in either scenery.cfg or in an addon.xm so disabling that should disable it. An uninstall on Orbx Central is the best way of course.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@psolk and @BWBriscoe, I don't have Vector but from my understanding only FS Global replaces default files when installed inside P3D.

I would imagine it has an entry in either scenery.cfg or in an addon.xm so disabling that should disable it. An uninstall on Orbx Central is the best way of course.

Thank you Ray, didn't mean to put you on the spot but remembered a similar conversation.  Appreciate you helping out. 

• Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Thanks Ray. How would I disable in the scenery.cfg or in an addon.xm?

64.0 GB RAM

5 minutes ago, BWBriscoe said:

Thanks Ray. How would I disable in the scenery.cfg or in an addon.xm?

I’d only do that if you wanted to do a quick comparison. Judging by others’ comments it introduces stutters so I’d be inclined to uninstall it via ORBX Central. The relevant entries in scenery.cfg etc. will be removed automatically.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I’d only do that if you wanted to do a quick comparison. Judging by others’ comments it introduces stutters so I’d be inclined to uninstall it via ORBX Central. The relevant entries in scenery.cfg etc. will be removed automatically.

Great thanks. I've already uninstalled it through Orbx Central. I wasn't sure if anything residual was left that needed removing manually

64.0 GB RAM

13 minutes ago, BWBriscoe said:

Great thanks. I've already uninstalled it through Orbx Central. I wasn't sure if anything residual was left that needed removing manually

Negative. 👍

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I've just moved to V5 (last Saturday, in fact). I installed only Global, Buildings, TerraFlora and OpenLC for the Americas. I still need to check about mesh (I have the free South America mesh), but without the need for Vector, I feel the sim is going smoother, a lot more than V4. Now I'm looking for some airport textures, but if my search fails, I'll open a new thread just for that.

On 3/12/2022 at 1:23 PM, psolk said:

OpenLC is still a large investment.  To do the globe is $200+ USD.   Looking at the preview videos it may look better in some areas with OpenLC but I didn't see a $200+ difference in the preview vids.

Around $100 as of now: 

• Like 1

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

1 hour ago, Luis Hernandez said:

I've just moved to V5 (last Saturday, in fact). I installed only Global, Buildings, TerraFlora and OpenLC for the Americas. I still need to check about mesh (I have the free South America mesh), but without the need for Vector, I feel the sim is going smoother, a lot more than V4. Now I'm looking for some airport textures, but if my search fails, I'll open a new thread just for that.

Around $100 as of now: 

Yep, picked up the whole globe 🙂     Like you I'm trying to figure out Mesh now as well.  I have Toposim. but not sure if it is any better than default.

Also, are people using Dynamic Texture Streaming?  I have a 12700 with a 3080ti   Is that why I see slightly blurry textures until I get closer?  Does disabling that load the full quality texture?   Trying to figure out a slight blurriness in the distance.  

Otherwise I agree, from what I have seen V5 looks much better.  

I am still on the fence about the Ultimate Terrain series.  Going without for right now.  

• Upvote 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

24 minutes ago, psolk said:

I am still on the fence about the Ultimate Terrain series.  Going without for right now.  

I uninstalled it. That series is years old. P3Dv5 data is more up to date.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I uninstalled it. That series is years old. P3Dv5 data is more up to date.

Yes, tending to agree as I am half way between KEWR-KMIA right now without it and pleasantly surprised.  Forgot to pay attention to some of the more minor rolling hills to see how well they were depicted from a mesh perspective.  

My other struggle is lighting.  I have never used EA before as it wasn't in V4 obviously.  I am finding it all a bit washed out.  Shutting off Auto-Exposure has helped, brightness at 85%, bloom is quite low as I found it caused much too prominent a reflection and brightness at 100%  Still it's all a bit washed out.  

I see there is another thread regarding best cloud/sky combination so I will see if I can find any tips there.

Also, very important but my first departure resulted in frequent 2-3 second pauses and I couldn't figure out why.  It turns out Process Lasso was the cause.  It was inadvertently elevating random application priorities without me realizing.  It seemed to be part of it's automatic performance mode.  Any app that used CPU got elevated.  Never seen that before but also never used any of the preset performance modes before.  Resetting all other processes to normal resolved the issue and 5.3 is now butter smooth.  It was just interesting to see the application I was using to enhance P3D performance was causing it to lost priority!  

Worth noting if anyone else has Process Lasso and sees random 2-3 second pauses that the sim always recovers from... 

On to tackle the sky and then move forward with customizing all my keystrokes 🙂     

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

20 hours ago, Luis Hernandez said:

I still need to check about mesh (I have the free South America mesh)

Last night I did a flight around both SKBG and SKBO. I know very well these places, well enough to know that SKBO is not in a plateau as default FS9/FSX/P3D1-4 show. I couldn't find that plateau in v5 😄

Looks like I'll do fine without mesh in this side of the world. But I'll definitely need a very good one for St.Barths

• Like 1

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

I uninstalled Global thinking that since I have all Landclass entries I would not need it. 

However, I noted that the "John Venema Trees" (what I call the power line structures, since I am sure he proudly created those way back when) were not appearing, and that the ability to control the lighting (types and intensity) disappeared. So, back to Global it is!

Edited by Howellerman
  • Upvote 1

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick