Sign in to follow this  
CaptainDuke

P3Dv5 scenery installer for P3Dv4?

Hi there,

would like to ask if there is a possibility to install a V5 scenery on V4?
Background:
I wanted to buy the scenery non "MK-Varna EKVG Veroer Island" for the V4.

Unfortunately, MK-Studio has withdrawn this V4 version from the SimMarket.
I bought the V5 version and tried to install it. Without success.
Is there a solution, because this scenery is a "missing link" in my landscape.

Regards, Bernd

P3Dv4.5-HF3 Windows 10, IntelCore i9-12900KF, NVidia GeForce RTX 3090 TI, 64GB DDR5, 4TB SSD

2 hours ago, CaptainDuke said:

Is there a solution, because this scenery is a "missing link" in my landscape.

Sorry, I misunderstood your question.
Edited by Hamilton_
grammar

Hamilton Müller

I think he wants to install a v5 scenery package into v4.

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 hour ago, Dick said:

Is this what you are looking for ? 

https://secure.simmarket.com/mk-studios-vagar-p3d4.phtml

It is, but if you look closely, you'll see a "Notify when this product becomes available" tag where the "add to cart" icon would be if it were still for sale.

The answer to the OP''s question is "maybe"--if the elevations of the v4 and v5 airports are the same or very close, you may be able to get away with importing the v5 airport file into ADE with P3Dv4 selected, selecting load stock objects and loading taxi signs and scenery objects, then mass deleting all those with "IsStock=Yes", saving and then recompiling the ADE/airport file and replacing the v5 one with that.

If there are autogen buildings on the stock v4 version, you may also need to create an exclude layer to remove the v4 autogen.

If the field elevations are different, then it's likely the ground polys and flattens will be set to a different altitude for v5, which will result in the field sitting on a plateau or in a hole in v4.  That's probably not user-repairable.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

2 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I think he wants to install a v5 scenery package into v4.

Thanks Christopher, I misunderstood the question.

Hamilton Müller

Thanks for the feedback,

I know about the possible migration adjustments.
But I have the problem with the installer that it only wants to install in a P3Dv5 directory.
Just creating a Prepar3D5 folder does not work there. Is there a way to fool the installer?

Greetings Bernd

P3Dv4.5-HF3 Windows 10, IntelCore i9-12900KF, NVidia GeForce RTX 3090 TI, 64GB DDR5, 4TB SSD

5 hours ago, CaptainDuke said:

But I have the problem with the installer that it only wants to install in a P3Dv5 directory.

Just creating a Prepar3D5 folder does not work there. Is there a way to fool the installer?

Depending on the software, you may need to set the registry keys for a P3Dv5 install and point them at your P3Dv4 directory...I don't have the specifics handy, but a little Green Belt level Google Fu should turn them up.  Also, some installers look for a Prepar3D.exe file in the base folder.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I may also be interested in this. I have just checked out the P3Dv5 product description on SimMarket, and this version seems to have 60cm resolution photoscenery for the entire island of Vagar, and custom mesh for all of the islands.

EDIT: I have just sent a message to the developer regarding this. Since the old P3Dv4 version has been removed from sale, I am hoping that MK Studios are intending to provide a hotfix for the P3Dv5 version that will enable it to be installed in P3Dv4. I will let you know as soon as I receive a reply.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

deleted

Edited by gaab

Use this at your own risk and make a backup of your Registry first.

Copy this text into a plain text file using Notepad and save it as P3Dv4.reg. Save to your Desktop. Double-click it to add the relevant keys into the Registry. Make sure you change the path to the root folder of P3Dv4 for your setup. Note the double \\.

This tells the installer the path to v4 is actually in v5.

Start of Code follows:-

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4]
"License"="Academic"
"SetupPath"="D:\\P3Dv5"

End of Code

If you wish to remove the entry afterwards this is the code. Same rules apply as above. Give the filename a different name of course.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4]

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hello, everyone,

Thank you very much for this comprehensive sympathy with my problem.
Now I have to decide whether I'll wait for a hotfix from the manufacturer
or try the registry file.

Thank you everyone, you are great!

Bernd

Hello Bernd

Like you, I bought EKVG v2 and wanted it to install into P3DV4.5. I have managed to to do so using a fake installer as suggested by simmershome (https://simmershome.de/fake-installer-fuer-p3d-v4/). Just change P3Dv3 in the files into P3Dv5 and do as suggested.

I can tell you that the scenery works and looks well, except for the AFCAD. P3Dv4.5 does not recognize the file that comes with the scenery. Instead, it uses the default afcad, resulting in AI planes ploughing through the snow. You'll have to build your own AFCAD. It's not to much of work as EKVG has only one runway, one taxiway and 6 parking positions.

Greetings
Michael

What is required is for someone to load the P3Dv5 AFD file into the latest version of Airport Design Editor (which can handle P3Dv5 files), and then compile and save it for P3Dv4. Has anyone actually tried doing this?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi there,

thanks for the new tips. However, I still get the error message during installation:

"Could not create uninstall data folder: \MKEKVG_V5"

I also disabled Defender accordingly. sorry

Bernd