Sign in to follow this  
Flysimware

Report Cessna 414AW Chancellor issues

After some more testing I noticed sloppy ALT capture coming from IAS mode. The GFC600 will enter ALTS mode and tries to capture, but the climb rate in excess of 1500 fpm is too much for the PID controller to handle so it will overshoot by 300 to 500 ft, overcorrect with a VS of -2000 fpm and thus undershoot, and so on.

This is the classic behaviour of a PID controller that's not tuned very well. The gains for the altitude controller need some fiddling. On the other hand, it might just be true to reality, maybe the GFC600 doesn't handle these quick approach rates very well in RL either?

Edited by psychedelic_tortilla

Intel i7-10700K @ 4.7 GHz | Nvidia RTX 3070 FE | 32GB DDR4 RAM 

13 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

As for this you'll need to lock fps with nvidia control panel to 30 or 40....   or check your FPS monitor via enabling Developer Mode in the sim...if it says GPU limited the GTN is going to stutter most likely.  You may try increasing CPU load by increasing LOD etc.  Try locking fps to 30 first in NCP to see if it helps.

Thanks i will try that.

15 hours ago, robs113 said:

I am unable to get the altimeter to display correctly.

Shows 1200' all the time, same at a seal level airport or a 4000' airport.

Moves a bit as I climb and descend but nothing like the real altitude.

Have I missed something?

(tried multiple liveries, only a problem for 414, all other aircraft display correctly)

I hate to ask this. Are you sure you're not looking at the transponder? It would read 1200 as the default VFR transponder code.

8 hours ago, V1ROTA7E said:

Fuel pumps are extremely loud...really. For takeoff and landing, the pumps go on LOW, but I can hear them over the engine noise.

Maybe that's what that high/low sound switch I'm hearing about every two seconds.  I thought it might have something to do with props phasing in and out but I can hear that underneath.

Edited by Gregg_Seipp

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Hi All,

Firstly,  thank you! What a great add-on this is. I've been waiting for this one ever since I saw it announced, personally it's the perfect aircraft for how I want to utilize the sim. I'm certainly not an expert on "high performance twin" piston types, most of my time with props has been PT6's attached to the wings (mostly King Air variants)... I just wanted to add a few notes after my first 45min flight in the 414. Some of this stuff has been mentioned before but I will repeat it for affirmation.

I'm using the GTN variant with the PMS GTN 750.

Audio
I think there are a a few sounds that are great effects but seem unbalanced in the grand scheme of things, these are:

-Fuel pumps. I'm sure these are very clearly audible in the real aircraft, but I think they need to be dialed back in the sim. They are arguably louder than the engines.

-Ground roll. The bumps and squeaks are awesome when taxiing around, but at higher taxi speeds there is a ground roll type sound that almost sounds like I'm dragging a concrete block behind the aircraft, this sound really needs to be toned right down it overwhelms almost all the other sounds.

-Metal/heat popping sounds after shutdown. I think these are great, but they seem a little loud from the interior of the aircraft once the engines are shutdown.

Switching

Here are a the switches I noticed for which the logic seems to be reversed. They seem so move in the wrong direction when clicking or scrolling them with the mouse wheel:

-Fuel Pump switches,

-A/C circulate switch

-Landing Light switch

-Anti-ice elect switch

-NAV selector on RMI

Engine Behavior 

-Whilst running the run-up checks prior to takeoff, I've noticed exercising the prop levers/governors really has no effect on engine indications, and there is no clear audible difference when the props are feathered vs max RPM...

GARMIN 605

-With NAV mode selected (or VOR mode) I have to disengage NAV mode (enter ROL mode) before I can engage HDG mode. I haven't had a chance to read the manual so this may be correct behavior but it doesn't seem logical.

-I was able to fly an ILS but had to assist the autopilot in maintaining the GS in calm conditions.

General question

-Does the oxygen supply deplete? If so what is the endurance of the tank?

I hope this stuff helps, I plan to do lots of flying over the weekend, so will provide more feedback along the way.

Thanks again for releasing this!

FG

I seem to have major problems with the Autopilot altitude holds, maybe i do something wrong but.....

When i active the AP en press ALT then i always get a altitude reading in the autopilot that is thousands of feet above my actual altitude (i am not looking at the transponder). When i try to change the altitude setting i seem not to be able to.

Fiddling with the altitude alert device isn't giving any help or support too (i select the wanted altitude there and activate it (orange light goes on). 

Am I the only one strugling with this?

Edited by Bentree_

43 minutes ago, Bentree_ said:

I seem to have major problems with the Autopilot altitude holds, maybe i do something wrong but.....

When i active the AP en press ALT then i always get a altitude reading in the autopilot that is thousands of feet above my actual altitude (i am not looking at the transponder). When i try to change the altitude setting i seem not to be able to.

Fiddling with the altitude alert device isn't giving any help or support too (i select the wanted altitude there and activate it (orange light goes on). 

So, pressing ALT on the GFC600 autopilot does not let you set an altitude preselect. This is how the real unit works. Pressing ALT will hold the current altitude. The scroll wheel will only let you adjust the altitude by plus or minus 200ft (I think it's 200ft, don't quote me on that).

After setting an altitude on the altitude alert device and then arming it, the GFC 600 will display "ALTS" in small letters in the lower portion of the vertical mode field. That means the altitude capture mode is armed and will capture the selected altitude.

As I wrote above, be careful with high climb rates when coming up on the selected altitude. The AP tends to overshoot those. So it's prudent to select VS mode with about 800 to 1000 fpm about 500 ft before reaching your desired altitude in order to avoid oscillation during capture.

57 minutes ago, Bentree_ said:

The 605 isn't like the default system.

Example on what I do. 

1) First set altitude you are climbing to in the analogue selector below the HSI.  If you just tookoff, trim your plane for climb (I use 35" and 2500 rpm at 140 kias for cruise climb). 

51961149012_9b1cd5e92d_k.jpgstep1 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

2) Once trimmed, press FD only.  Bug your heading to whatever you want, press HDG on the AP, and press the tiny little white button on the altitude selector to ARM it.  You don't have to ARM altitude but if in IAS or VS your plane will continue climbing or descending beyond your selected altitude.  Also select a pitch mode - I like either VS or IAS mode.  When you press either they should display what you're currently at.  Mine went to 1600 fpm.  At this point the FD command bars tell you want to do - and you can continue hand flying if you desire.  

51962144661_47f54095f3_k.jpgstep2 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

3) Then just press AP to engage the AP servos.  In my pic I changed to IAS mode at 140 kias, I also selected Direct To my destination, and the AP is turning the aircraft and pitching for 140 knots as per the GFC605.  Labels at the top of the GFC605 are active, smaller ones at the bottom are armed.  You can see "Selected Altitude Capture" ALTS is armed....so the plane will capture the altitude dialed in the analogue selector below the HSI.

51962144601_ca5c4adc32_k.jpgstep3 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Note:  the ALT button is for holding present ALT.  You never use to climb or descend.  

Edited by ryanbatc
  • Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

There is a problem with the passenger door. When the door is open, in external view when zooming out, at a certain LOD (not too far away) it appears closed instead of open. The other doors (baggage etc) are not affected.

Edited by Slowhand71

12 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

51962144601_ca5c4adc32_k.jpgstep3 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Note:  the ALT button is for holding present ALT.  You never use to climb or descend.  

Ryan, can you tell me how to get the "Blue Altitude Banana" on the TDS GTNXi? I couldn't find the option in the map configuration.

1 minute ago, psychedelic_tortilla said:

Ryan, can you tell me how to get the "Blue Altitude Banana" on the TDS GTNXi? I couldn't find the option in the map configuration.

Hmmm it might be in a beta update I'm using from TDS 🙂  Should be coming soon TM lol

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 minute ago, ryanbatc said:

Hmmm it might be in a beta update I'm using from TDS 🙂  Should be coming soon TM lol

Uhhhh nice, something to look forward to 🙂 Thanks!

The GNS530 GPS mode does not couple with the AP. The flight plan can be entered as usual, and can be used as a moving map, but GPS course capture is inop at this time.

VOR capture works fine; I have not tried shooting an ILS approach yet. That's next on my list.

The flight model feels nice and stable. Landing is very smooth, flying "by the numbers."

Overall, a nice model. Good work.

7 minutes ago, Seven7Tango said:

The GNS530 GPS mode does not couple with the AP. The flight plan can be entered as usual, and can be used as a moving map, but GPS course capture is inop at this time.

I rarely use the stock Garmin so I'm going to do some flying now with that panel.  Are you using PMS or default GNS530?  Well I checked default and it's definitely borked.

Edited by ryanbatc

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

So how do you lean this aircraft?  I'm flying in the Denver area.  After takeoff I initially set the mixture levers to about 5.  After leveloff at 16,000 feet I tried adjusting the mixture and discovered something interesting.  If I set the mixture to full and then retard the levers the fuel burn goes from over 40 gal/hr down to 10.6 at a setting of around 4.  But if I further retard the mixture levers the burn starts to go up.  At setting 5 it is up to 31.6 gal/hr and if I retard the levers further down to 7 the burn rate goes down to 26.6.  This doesn't make sense to me.  I thought when leaning the engines you reduce the mixture and listen for the engine to increase and then as you lean you get to the point where the engine starts to decrease and you bump it up just a little at that point.

Edited by jfwharton