Sign in to follow this  
DaveGi

Ethernet cable on Alpha Yoke intermittent/lost connection

I have had the Alpha Yoke for just over a year now; I have noticed intermittent un-responsiveness when using the yoke in MSFS 2020 (Windows 10). The yoke had been working perfectly until relatively recently. Now if I want to use the hat switch or cycle from cockpit to outside the aircraft using the Alpha Yoke buttons, I have to 'waggle' the short ethernet cable with my other hand to get the desired response. I have tried re-inserting the cable which has made no difference to the connectivity and I fear this is getting worse. I am not sure if it is the Alpha Yoke contacts or the ethernet cable and your help/support and experience would be really helpful.

Thanks

Dave.Gi  

Hi Dave, it's down to the solder joints breaking due to flex between the PCB and the RJ45 socket, caused by the short and stiff cable. It's a job that can be done if you know how to solder small PCB joints, but as your yoke is within warranty I would get onto Aerosoft about the fault.

A temporary solution that worked for me was to get a short flat 15cm ethernet cable from Amazon. The flat ones are a lot more flexible. This doesn't move the socket so much, if at all.

See the I Repaired my Alpha Yoke's RJ-45 Port thread that's also in this subforum.

On 5/12/2022 at 9:37 AM, Shannyla said:

See the I Repaired my Alpha Yoke's RJ-45 Port thread that's also in this subforum.

Do you see a method to prevent stresses on the PCB/soldered connections to help reduce risk for this manifesting?  Perhaps a sleeve/collar that grasps the cable so that when the cable is tugged on when rolling the yoke the stress is on the cable holder rather than the RJ45 port or connector? 

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

If you scroll down on the "repaired my Alpha Yoke's RJ-45 Port you will see how it is done. I you are planning

on getting this yoke and replace the cable you would most likely avoid the problem.

• Upvote 1

My System: Intel 9700K 4.7Gz, ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHZ, Evga 3070TI  8GB, Noctua NH-D15S, Gigabyte 27" Monitor, Windows 10 64bit, 2xSamsung 500GB SSD, 1x Samsung 120GB, 1x Samsung 970, 1TB, 1TB H/D for Storage.

Helmut Berger

On 9/5/2022 at 12:45 PM, helberger said:

If you scroll down on the "repaired my Alpha Yoke's RJ-45 Port you will see how it is done. I you are planning

on getting this yoke and replace the cable you would most likely avoid the problem.

I see.  Looks effective but kind of funky.  What I will try doing if I decide to go with the XPC yoke is glue a sleave/collar that would move the lateral stresses on to the cable rather than the port and stick with the OEM coiled cable.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

The issue is that the RJ45 socket is held to a small bit of pcb by some rather delicate and fragile soldering. It's very neat, but not very strong, hence the repair is to do some "Plumber's Soldering" leaving great hefty blobs of solder, though obviously neat enough not to short out...

My thoughts were that the RJ45 socket required mechanically fixing to either the case or the pcb. My thought was to to heat shrink the socket and the pcb together, so reducing the amount of flex between those two components caused by the stiff short cable.