Sign in to follow this  
Glenn Fitzpatrick

Boeing 247D

I hope as many as possible buys this plane just to prove to developers that the theory of lower prices leads to higher sales.

If this is not a success I am afraid we will soon be back at $50 as a standard price for addons.

• Like 3

// 5800X3D // RTX 3090 // 64GB RAM // HP REVERB G2 //

I do hope they (or a 3rd party) adds an option to have a GNS unit. As much as I like flying VOR to VOR, it's getting significantly harder to do so in this day and age! 

Former Child, Current Adult

This is a must buy for me even if I am too chicken to fly it. Please no GNS intergration fly planes like they are intended too.

Edited by jbdbow1970

8 hours ago, liamp51 said:

I do hope they (or a 3rd party) adds an option to have a GNS unit. As much as I like flying VOR to VOR, it's getting significantly harder to do so in this day and age! 

No VOR or NDB either.

This aircraft apparently simulates navigation by tuning radio broadcast stations the way it was actually done in the 1930's.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

No VOR or NDB either.

This aircraft apparently simulates navigation by tuning radio broadcast stations the way it was actually done in the 1930's.

Leads to the question...in FS2004 on Tom Gibson's Classic Airliner site aka Calclassics, there were long range beacon bgl's that could be downloaded, so that a person could navigate a little more easily on transatlantic routes.  I don't remember if these were VLF-style radio beacons or what they were, but they were supposedly what they used in the 1930's, 40's, 50's too I believe, for oceanic nav...at least prior to INS.

Anyway, I almost forgot about my question.  I wonder if there will be a way to do the same in MSFS?  Navigating by dead reckoning or celestial across large bodies of water is something I have done but I also used the old beacon mod.  Way back in FS9/FS2004 days.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Great! That was a big fault of the DC-6, the modern radios instead of the real ones.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

This is how they used charts in the radar range era, before NDB and VOR

• Like 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

That radar range addon on Classic Airliner was also uploaded here in Avsim file section. It dropped a radar range beacon on every airport in FSX BGL files. They just broadcast all the time and were inaudible unless you had an old radio in the plane to hear the A or N in Morse that told you if you were left or right of the transmitter. You turned the plane until the A and N combined to a steady tone. Now your headed right at it. The frequency on your radio dial told you which airport it was.

That's what those pushbutton radios on wwii warbirds are. Push a button and you were tuned to that frequency. If you heard tones when you pushed a button then you could turn the plane right at that airport beacon. It was very fast and easy to use.

11 hours ago, Fielder said:

That's what those pushbutton radios on wwii warbirds are. Push a button and you were tuned to that frequency. If you heard tones when you pushed a button then you could turn the plane right at that airport beacon. It was very fast and easy to use.

I remember car radios that worked that way when I was a kid.

My additional hope for this add-on is that they consider doing an expansion/mod which has the original art deco forward-slanted windscreen variant. I would happily pay for that version too. This feature was changed on later models because it caused annoying internal reflections at night, but the first few produced had that raked-forward screen and it was certainly an iconic look for the era.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

A few more details about the depth of the simulation that Wing42 is trying to produce.
The electrical system, which is also simulated in depth in the 247D. Fuses in the electrical panel, which can melt and paralyze critical aircraft systems.
The oil system, realistically from all parts of the aircraft, with real-time calculations for several parameters such as temperature, pressure, viscosity, etc.
A feature often in demand is when you close your simulator and come back later to find the aircraft as you left it with all the specifications.
The Boeing 242D will be the most successful aircraft on msfs. 

• Upvote 1

Guillaume

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K OC 5.5 GHz▪︎  ZOTAC RTX 4090 Trinity OC ▪︎ 64GB Crucial Ballistix  ▪︎ Windows 11 Pro (23H2) ▪︎ 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive et MSFS) ▪︎ 3x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA SSD ▪︎  Corsair RMX 1000W 80 plus Gold PSU  ▪︎ LIAN-LI ODYSSEY X black case

Looking forward to this one too.  I've been lucky enough to sit in the pilots seat of the one that's at the Museum of Flight years ago.

Does anyone know if it's going to have variable pitch props, or constant speed props? The original 247D was variable pitch, I don't think any were fitted with constant speed props until the 1940's.

Brian W

KPAE

10 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

I remember car radios that worked that way when I was a kid.

When you were a kid?  I still have a truck that has push-button radio presets in it, and it's fitted with an early-2000's Alpine.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB