Sign in to follow this  
markk70

Spins in X-Plane 12

One aspect I notice in this animations, both in XP11 and apparently also in XP12, is that the location of the Center of Pressure ( CP ) doesn't change with AoA ?

Actually Austin uses the AC - Aerodynamic Center - a conceptual point always at 25 % chord to set the origin of the lift / drag vectors, and the moments on the airfoil.

All very well explained here :

Aerodynamic Centre & Centre of Pressure - GATE AEROSPACE - YouTube

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

One aspect I notice in this animations, both in XP11 and apparently also in XP12, is that the location of the Center of Pressure ( CP ) doesn't change with AoA ?

Actually Austin uses the AC - Aerodynamic Center - a conceptual point always at 25 % chord to set the origin of the lift / drag vectors, and the moments on the airfoil.

All very well explained here :

Aerodynamic Centre & Centre of Pressure - GATE AEROSPACE - YouTube

That's just a convention. A change of position of the aerodynamic center is equivalent to adding a pitching moment with respect to a reference point (25% chord, by convention).

So, the change of position of the A.C. near and after stall is modeled with the airfoil pitch moment changing (editable in airfoil maker). So, the fact that the lift force vectors appear to remain fixed at the 25% chord (in the flight model output) is just a convention.

• Like 3

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

With XP12 simulating the shift of CP toward the Aft of the Chord, with increasing Mach, maybe this will be visually despicted? Or just internal changes to the moment. Anyway, its cool to visualize, but doesnt really matter in the end result, as long as the calculations are correct

I also wonder how will Stall for Ailiners, specially T-Tail ones, behave in XP12. Those can become quite interesting, would be very cool to see them unfolding with newer XP12 Flight Model improvements!

Edited by Alec
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Alexis Mefano

Yes, it is, and it's also explained in the other video I linked above.

It would be cool, though, to be able to visualize the Lift / Drag vectors acting at the varying CP, as AoA changes... Just from an FM-Visualization / Didactic  PoV.

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

I spot volumetric clouds in Austin's video. Which, however, don't look too different from those in Enhanced Cloud-/Skyscapes, so I'm unsure whether this is XP12's default clouds or EC/ES running in XP12.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

21 minutes ago, Bjoern said:

I spot volumetric clouds in Austin's video. Which, however, don't look too different from those in Enhanced Cloud-/Skyscapes, so I'm unsure whether this is XP12's default clouds or EC/ES running in XP12.

Clouds ?

I only saw Vectors ? 

😁

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Spins, Finally! This is icing on the cake!

Hopefully we get to see a beta before WWIII starts!

I got into a spin by accident practicing stalls. Scariest word not allowed! I thought I was going to die! Lucky my instructor was with me!

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

XP11 already did spins... Maybe the "new" spins feel better ...

The problem with spins IRL is that sometimes it's difficult to get into it when we want to... while they can come "out of nothing" when we weren't expecting it to happen 😕

In the whole history of glider / soaring flight in Portugal there were only two casualties ( which is always more than it should ever be ), both caused by spins ...

Edited by jcomm
  • Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

6 minutes ago, jcomm said:

XP11 already did spins... Maybe the "new" spins feel better ...

The problem with spins IRL is that sometimes it's difficult to get into it when we want to... while they can come "out of nothing" when we weren't expecting it to happen 😕

In the whole history of glider / soaring flight in Portugal there were only two casualties ( which is always more than it should ever be ), both caused by spins ...

I have never been able to get anything to spin in X11.

Eric Escobar

1 hour ago, strider1 said:

Yeah, spins in XP were always lacking in some way or another. Not on par with military sims like DCS or IL2, but even some of the old FS9/FSX aircraft (RealAir comes to mind) spun a lot more convincingly.

I know that Austin is working on spins for XP12, so at least they should be improved! 🙂

• Like 2

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

1 hour ago, strider1 said:

push the plane harder...

The spitfire would regularily kill me with a flat spin before i learnt its limits.

AutoATC Developer

3 hours ago, mSparks said:

push the plane harder...

The spitfire would regularily kill me with a flat spin before i learnt its limits.

Are you sure? "Final tuning of the flight model math for X-Plane 12... we now have spins as an emergent phenomenon".

Eric Escobar

Yeah,

but it's going to get even better in XP12....

So, I envision myself using XP12 as if it was a CFD software, a kind of soft XFLR5 or Flow5 🙂

Main Simulation Rig: