Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

The Harrier that landed on a container ship.

meh, he had lots of room to put 'er down.

spacer.png

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Strange how the "report" states that the Harrier is "F35 like", surely that should be that an F35 is "Harrier like" as the F35 was not even being thought of back in 1983 (this should be 1982 as from what I remember this occured during the Falklans conflict), plus ofcourse, not all F35's are VTOL.

No, It should state the F-35 is YAK-38 like and the YAK-38 is Harrier like. 🤣

Edited by FBW737

Bit dodgy that the RAF gave him a desk job, when he wasn't fully trained and had been given a Harrier with defective instruments. 

33 minutes ago, jdwgraf said:

Strange how the "report" states that the Harrier is "F35 like",

Typical media. Watched a report on the news the other day, where an enemy gun, a sizable thing, had ben attached to a jeep. The reporter said it had been "soldered" to the jeep. 🙄

Errr....... I dont think the owner of that white van was too pleased either!😧

Wonder how that conversation went with his/her car insurance company that a Sea Harrier landed on their roof??

Note. That Sea Harrier (ZA176) was recovered, returned to active Royal Navy duty and went through an upgrade to FA2 status until 2003 when it found it's new home at the Newark Air Museum in the UK where it can still be seen on display.

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

I hope the ship charged him the appropriate landing fee and transportation charges as the Navy would surely have their bill machine crunching if someone landed on a navy ship/

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

Harry Woodrow

1 minute ago, harrry said:

I hope the ship charged him the appropriate landing fee and transportation charges as the Navy would surely have their bill machine crunching if someone landed on a navy ship/

The cargo ship owners received 570,000GBP in compensation.I'm sure the landing fees would have been included in that!

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

@martin-w Think you will find he was a Navy pilot (Fleet Air Arm) as his rank was Sub Lieutenant. The RAF at the time had the Harrier GR3. It was much later that the Navy & RAF began using the same aircraft type and the "Sea Harrier" was phased out.

John

6 minutes ago, jdwgraf said:

@martin-w Think you will find he was a Navy pilot (Fleet Air Arm) as his rank was Sub Lieutenant. The RAF at the time had the Harrier GR3. It was much later that the Navy & RAF began using the same aircraft type and the "Sea Harrier" was phased out.

John

It's not as if there's any historic rivalry between the RAF and the FAA is there?

ngxu_banner.png

3 hours ago, jdwgraf said:

John

Yep. Meant Navy. Gave him a desk job but he did go on the fly the Harrier again. Even flew F18's, guess he must have been on an exchange program with US, Canada or Australia or somebody.

The aircraft was rapidly running out of fuel, and the pilot did the only thing that seemed sensible at the time. Ditching in the open sea is not exactly what I would want to be doing in a fighter jet. Yeah, I know......health and safety and insurance and all that BS. Someone remind me how much publicity this shipping company received at the time?

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

50 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

The aircraft was rapidly running out of fuel, and the pilot did the only thing that seemed sensible at the time. Ditching in the open sea is not exactly what I would want to be doing in a fighter jet. Yeah, I know......health and safety and insurance and all that BS. Someone remind me how much publicity this shipping company received at the time?

Exactly. What were the Navy implying? That you should kill yourself by ditching in the sea rather than risk the tanker and its crew? I would say that if he was confident that no personnel on the tanker were in danger, then he did the right thing.